New TV, no headphone jacks, big problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 EHouston

EHouston

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 08:57 AM

I recently purchased a new HD TV (my first) and got it home only to find out it had no headphone jacks. This wasn't stated on the package and I assumed that all new televisions had them because my old (10 years old non-HD) had them. I, unfortunately, live in a housing complex where headphones are required by my lease. I tried to return the tv to the store but, because it was a pre-Christmas sale, I cannot return the set. I love the picture but I am now left without a television unless I can figure out a way to connect headphones. The set is an Emerson LC320EM3F. While there is no headphone connection there is a single "Digital Audio Output" jack which I assume is to connect to a Audio System (which I am also not allowed). There are also red and white Audio Input Jacks. Is there any kind of adapter that might allow me to connect headphones. I would love to have a television but I don't want to have to move. I can't afford it right now.

#2 of 11 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,495 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 08 2012 - 09:04 AM

Welcome to HTF! I'm surprised you can not return the set. It would be for the pre-Christmas sale price, of course. And there is no reason you can not get an audio system if you use headphones with it. Right?

#3 of 11 EHouston

EHouston

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 09:35 AM

Right, I just have to find a cheap enough audio system that I can plug headphones into.

#4 of 11 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,163 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 09:46 AM

You could probably use something like this: http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_e_5 But I'm not sure the TV volume control will work with the headphones, so you may also want this: http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_e_5 Sale price or not, you should be able to return the TV. I suggest you find someone big and snarly and try again. I also can't believe you're not allowed to use normal TV volume. Are you sure you aren't being sold a bill of goods on that front?

#5 of 11 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,425 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted December 08 2012 - 10:18 AM

Some headphones have a volume slider on them. Get a pair of those, along with the adapter Al listed above and you should be fine.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#6 of 11 EHouston

EHouston

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 11:59 AM

Nope, it is in my lease that all musical and video appliances must be headphones.

#7 of 11 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,163 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 03:07 PM

Nope, it is in my lease that all musical and video appliances must be headphones

Wow, that's unbelievably controlling. And here I mock homeowners associations for mandating white curtain backing and white Christmas lights. Does the landlord live close by? I say run a leaf blower all day until he's ready to renegotiate.

#8 of 11 EHouston

EHouston

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 07:13 AM

No, it's a huge apartment complex and managed by a property management company. I should say It is one of many complexes they take care of and yes, the regulations are brutal.

#9 of 11 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,125 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 09 2012 - 08:35 AM

A lot of the wireless headphones have to plug into a line out jack and the volume control is on one of the ear pieces.

#10 of 11 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,217 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted December 09 2012 - 09:03 AM

I looked at the specs, and one of the big problems is this TV only has a coax digital audio output, no analog.

You may want to consider buying an inexpensive HT receiver (Denon has an entry-level for about $199). The other option would be to find a HTIB that has a coax digital audio input and a headphone jack.

#11 of 11 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,125 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 09 2012 - 10:01 AM

Digital to analog converter $36 - http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=180-997 Wireless headphones from $15 to $400 - http://www.parts-exp...116?kg=807|5288

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users