What's new

Several Samuel Goldwyn titles announced for release by Movies Unlimited for mid-January (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
By the Movies Unlimited website, Warner's will be releasing several Samuel Goldwyn titles come mid-January. So far they are listing
Wuthering Heights
Bishop's Wife
Pride of the Yankees
Best Years of Our Lives
Hans Christian Andersen
All listed as on sale for $12.74.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sigh ..... the ones I'm really waiting for are the Danny Kayes: Secret Life Of Walter Mitty, The Kid From Brooklyn, Wonder Man and Up In Arms.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
No Blu Ray listed. Another has them listed as $10.99. I have waited a long time for Wuthering Heights and thought they would go Blu on this. The others I have in DVD and Hans is due now in Blu.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Blu-rays at least for some of these should be coming later.
Also, this DVD of The Best Years of Our Lives has additional extra features not on the MGM disc

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Does anyone know if these are going to be DVD or DVD-R?

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Thomas T said:
Sigh ..... the ones I'm really waiting for are the Danny Kayes: Secret Life Of Walter Mitty, The Kid From Brooklyn, Wonder Man and Up In Arms.
I was really hoping that Up in Arms and Kid from Brooklyn would be coming sooner than later .

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Glad they're reissuing THE BISHOP'S WIFE in time for Xmas! Next year's, at least... :P

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
bgart13 said:
Glad they're reissuing THE BISHOP'S WIFE in time for Xmas! Next year's, at least... :P
I didn't know there was anybody left who still didn't have a copy! Seems like MGM had flogged both that one and Pride of the Yankees to death over the years.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
mdnitoil said:
I didn't know there was anybody left who still didn't have a copy! Seems like MGM had flogged both that one and Pride of the Yankees to death over the years.
And titles such as "These Three" haven't been available on any format since the 1980s.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I never got Wuthering Heights on DVD before it went OOP, even though it's one of my wife's favorites. I have a decent copy from a TCM broadcast I burned to DVD. But I'm not going to buy any of these in SD anymore. At this point classic releases like these must be in Blu or no sale for me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have them already on DVD, so a Blu-ray upgrade is also for me the only interest I have in these admitted classics. For those who didn't get them the first time around, however, I'm happy they will be availble for a reasonable price.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I expect blu-rays on these titles especially because these are the tentpole Goldwyn titles that have consistently proven themselves saleswise. Best Years of Our Lives has already been announced and I expect the other three to show up as well.
One thing I'm curious about is if these are newly remastered or simply repackaged transfers from the old MGM discs.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Isn't My Foolish Heart with Susan Hayward and Dana Andrews a Goldwyn title? I'd really love to see this on DVD.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Bonus features for Best Years of Our Lives will be an introduction by Virgina Mayo and interviews with Virginia Mayo and Teresa Wright.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Goldwyn titles I want to see released by order of importance.

Eddie Cantor Early Talkies/Precodes

Whoopie! (1930)
Palmy Days (1931)
The Kid From Spain (1932)
Roman Scandals (1933)
Kid Millions (1934)
Strike Me Pink (1936)

Ronald Colman Early Talkies/Precodes

The Rescue (1929) w/ Lili Damita
Bulldog Drummond (1929)
This Is Heaven (1929) w/ Vilma Banky
Condemned (1929) w/ Ann Harding
Raffles (1930) w/ Kay Francis
The Devil to Pay (1930) w/ Loretta Young
The Unholy Garden (1931) w/ Fay Wray
Cynara (1932) w/ Kay Francis
The Masquerader (1933) w/ Elissa Landi

Other Early Talkies/Precodes

Street Scene (1931) - Love triangle potboiler with Sylvia Sidney & William Collier Jr set in NY's Hell's Kitchen during a summer heatwave, directed by King Vidor.The only "official" release was from Image Entertainment, but that DVD is OOP.
One Heavenly Night (1931) w/ John Boles & Evelyn Laye
Tonight or Never (1931) - Gloria Swanson & Melvyn Douglas - officially released by Mileston/Image Entertainment but now OOP.

Gary Cooper

The Adventures of Marco Polo (1938) - released by MGM. Currently OOP.
The Cowboy and the Lady (1938) - released by MGM - Currently OOP
The Real Glory (1939) - released by MGM - Currently OOP
The Westerner (1940) - released by MGM - Currently OOP

Others

Stella Dallas (1937) - one of Barbara Stanwyck's best peformances of her carer. Nominated for Oscar. Released by MGM. Currently OOP.
The Hurricane (1937) - exotic romance starring Dorothy Lamour and John Hall. Was previoulsy released by HBO. Currently OOP.
Dead End (1937) - starring Humphrey Bogart and the first film featuring the Dead End Kids. Currently OOP.
Dodsworth (1936) - starring Walter Huston & Ruth Chatterton. Released by MGM. Currently OOP.
Goldwyn Follies (1938) - released by MGM. Currently OOP.
Ball of Fire (1941) - starring Barbara Stanwyck & Gary Cooper. Released by HBO & MGM. Currently OOP.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Are they going to release any more of the Goldwyn titles ? If so when ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks