Dave Brubek dead at 91 =(

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,651 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 05 2012 - 05:51 AM

A legend is lost. www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-dave-brubeck-dead-20121205,0,7126256.column

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 05 2012 - 06:25 AM

Been spinning since I heard...music, not my chair...

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 05 2012 - 06:46 AM

Thanks, Sam.

Spinning up my copy of Time Out as I type this...

Posted Image

I've been looking for a good deal on the SACD of Time Out for years...never found one.  It'll probably be even more difficult now.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,268 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 06:53 AM

Thanks, Sam. Spinning up my copy of Time Out as I type this... :( I've been looking for a good deal on the SACD of Time Out for years...never found one.  It'll probably be even more difficult now.

Mike, Time Out is easily my favorite album of his. The title of my 1960s CD collection was inspired by this title.

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 05 2012 - 07:33 AM

Wow.  Damn.   RIP.

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

And I should mention it's my work copy.  That's right, I've got a copy at my desk at my day job...  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 05 2012 - 11:27 AM

And I should mention it's my work copy.  That's right, I've got a copy at my desk at my day job...  Posted Image

If these aren't the original label LP and reel-to-reel tape, I don't wanna hear about it.     Posted Image

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 05 2012 - 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

If these aren't the original label LP and reel-to-reel tape, I don't wanna hear about it.     Posted Image

Well, no...I can't.  But can I get some extra credit?!?  Posted Image

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 12:47 PM

Reel to Reel??? man, what a tough audience. I have one(I didn't buy it, came from a brother who was moving and wanted a safe place for it while he drove a semi...), but it hasn't even been turned on(by me) in 3 years. When my brother is close he'll stop by for a night at play it...but i don't touch the thing.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 05 2012 - 03:24 PM

Very nice, Mike.  Actually, I only have "Bernstein Plays Brubeck Plays Bernstein" on reel -- and just a few dozen other reels, all told.  I do have a few of those albums pictured, and a couple of others, on nice Columbia vinyl.  Love 'em.

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 03:43 PM

I think the best is Private Brubeck Remembers.

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 05 2012 - 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by schan1269 

I think the best is Private Brubeck Remembers.

And I'd vote for Dave Digs Disney.  It combines two of my favorite things:  jazz and Disney music.  And the jazz, in this case, is extremely well done.  Posted Image

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 05 2012 - 03:50 PM

I like Disney stuff, too, but haven't heard that one.

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 05 2012 - 03:59 PM

Ooops.  I forgot another one in my collection.  My other music "passion":  Christmas.

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:02 PM

Mike, do you have Arthur Lyman's Christmas album? The drums on Little Drummer Boy are amazing. I guess it's because he was part of that exotica, "hi-fi stereo demo disc" world. I also have that Brubeck, along with a handful of other CDs.

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 06 2012 - 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

Mike, do you have Arthur Lyman's Christmas album? The drums on Little Drummer Boy are amazing. I guess it's because he was part of that exotica, "hi-fi stereo demo disc" world. I also have that Brubeck, along with a handful of other CDs.

Wow, Greg.  Whenever I get asked those questions, the answer is almost always "yes."  But I think you've stumbled on something I don't have.  Sounds intriguing.

I've probably got several hundred Christmas CDs and a few hundred Christmas LPs, too.  But I don't think Arthur Lyman is in the mix.

I'm that guy who puts together his own Christmas mix each season and distributes it amongst family and friends.  I started with cassettes.  In fact, a few years ago I put put a "special edition" chronicling my 25 years of Christmas tapes/CDs.

And to keep on topic, last night I pulled a track from the Brubeck CD which will be on this year's effort.  Posted Image

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 06 2012 - 02:38 AM

Several hundred?!?

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 06 2012 - 02:41 AM

Posted Image

You probably don't have a similar collection of anything in your life, Charles???  Posted Image

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 06 2012 - 02:55 AM

Guilty as charged.  I do still have a wall full of LPs, so I could certainly claim hundreds of classical albums, and somewhat fewer shows, soundtracks, jazz, and miscellaneous stuff.  The good news is that I purged a lot of duplicates and actual junk last year.  (At one time, I'd estimated the "collection" -- actually an accumulation that I finally determined was out of control -- at 5000+ albums.)

And then there are the books.  Oh, and that little matter of DVDs, BDs, and still too many LDs.  Oy!  Sorry I brought it up!   Posted Image

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,413 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 06 2012 - 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Guilty as charged.  I do still have a wall full of LPs, so I could certainly claim hundreds of classical albums, and somewhat fewer shows, soundtracks, jazz, and miscellaneous stuff.  The good news is that I purged a lot of duplicates and actual junk last year.  (At one time, I'd estimated the "collection" -- actually an accumulation that I finally determined was out of control -- at 5000+ albums.)

And then there are the books.  Oh, and that little matter of DVDs, BDs, and still too many LDs.  Oy!  Sorry I brought it up!   Posted Image

Posted Image  Somehow, I knew!  And you are on me for a few hundred Christmas CDs...?!?

I've probably got several hundred Disney CDs/LPs, too.  Besides the film soundtracks, lots of theme park music and cover recordings.  And then the rest of the music!  And, as you noted, the BDs, DVDs (and even a few LDs) have taken on a life of their own.

My wife allowed(!) me to take over my son's bedroom as my "media room"--as long as she had access to his closet for clothes!  He graduated college this year and is now out in his own apartment.  We are now official empty-nesters.

Back to After Hours Lounge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow