-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Godfather Copolla Restoration versus the Blu-ray Set

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 LovetheMovies

LovetheMovies

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:18 AM

Hey Everybody, I have the Copolla restoration set and i want to know is the blu-ray set the same is it actually blu ray the the set i have the cover art and the disc seem to be identical i know its pretty cheap right now but i just want to know if i am getting blu ray discs not just discs i currently own since the copolla restoration compared to the original dvd set is still largely better is the blu version even better than the copolla restoration set i really want to know if it's worth to get again any input will be greatly appreciated Thanks

#2 of 31 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,466 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:24 AM

Welcome to HTF, Gabe! All the Godfather releases on blu-ray are the Coppola restoration. If you have one set, you don't need another, unless you are upgrading DVD to blu-ray.

#3 of 31 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:30 AM

I suggest you get somehow the old DVD set. At least in that one, whites aren't all burned, and the colors of parts 1 & 2 not tweaked for them to look like part 3 does.

#4 of 31 LovetheMovies

LovetheMovies

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:33 AM

thanks well i am not sure what i have but i know mine is dvd version box art is the same as the blu ray version and would like to know how much better is the blu ray set paramount really confused when i bought this set and when blu ray starting getting popular i am really not sure i have dvd versions of the movies just mine says copolla restoration i am looking into upgrading but i am just confused now

#5 of 31 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,466 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:40 AM

Here's the HTF review of the blu-ray for your perusal... http://www.hometheat...hly-recommended

#6 of 31 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:58 AM

I know the original DVDs looks like trash, but the whites aren't burned, and the colors aren't off (like in that scene where Pacino kills the buy in the restaurant, where the blu color is gone except for the last shot in the front of the restaurant where the original blu color is still there). I'm sorry to say, but if they dialed down the contrast, and kept the colors, this would have been amazing. As of now, it's not the original films (for the first two).

I know the DVDs are crappy looking thought and that generaly the Blu looks better, I just don't think they are there where the original films were.

#7 of 31 LovetheMovies

LovetheMovies

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:06 AM

Thanks good info i may just keep it sounds as though the blu rays may not be a huge difference

#8 of 31 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,041 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:18 AM

The only reason to get the old set is to have the original burnt-in subs for Godfather and Godfather Part II. Otherwise the prints are terrible, the transfers are worse, the sound mixes poor (they're the remixes done for the laserdiscs before the stereo music tapes turned up), and its a generally unpleasant watch all-around.

EDIT: Oh and Godfather Part II inexplicably keeps the old Gulf+Western logo era Paramount logo at the end of the old DVD.

#9 of 31 LovetheMovies

LovetheMovies

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:46 AM

i have the old set i am wondering should i get the blu ray set

#10 of 31 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:48 AM

I know the original DVDs looks like trash, but the whites aren't burned, and the colors aren't off (like in that scene where Pacino kills the buy in the restaurant, where the blu color is gone except for the last shot in the front of the restaurant where the original blu color is still there). I'm sorry to say, but if they dialed down the contrast, and kept the colors, this would have been amazing. As of now, it's not the original films (for the first two).  I know the DVDs are crappy looking thought and that generaly the Blu looks better, I just don't think they are there where the original films were.

The "Coppola Restoration" versions of THE GODFATHER and THE GODFATHER PART II were color timed to match approved archival I.B. Technicolor prints. They were not "tweaked to look like Part 3". When I saw a projected version of the restored THE GODFATHER with Gordon Willis in attendance a couple years ago, Willis said during the post-screening discussion that the look of the final result was "dead on". The Blu-rays look exactly how the films are supposed to look. The so-called "burned whites" are discussed in the restoration documentary. Vincent

#11 of 31 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,144 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted December 04 2012 - 06:10 AM

You know that RAH worked on those as well, he might be able to set this straight...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#12 of 31 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted December 04 2012 - 06:20 AM

Well that's my feeling. Yeah, I know, I also know there might be a world of difference between a color timed master that is pristine looking, and the actual encoded master.

#13 of 31 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,404 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 06:48 AM

The Blu-rays were vetted and approved through every step, and match the data files.

Everything here is correct and approved.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#14 of 31 LovetheMovies

LovetheMovies

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 06:51 AM

well whatever works just want to be sure and don't wanna waste time purchasing something that may not meet my expectations

#15 of 31 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,404 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by LovetheMovies 

well whatever works just want to be sure and don't wanna waste time purchasing something that may not meet my expectations

Totally dependent upon expectations and past history of the film.

What some may consider incorrect or revisionist, is in this case, perfect.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#16 of 31 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,473 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted December 04 2012 - 10:27 AM

The Blu-rays are amazing and faithfully represent the way the movies are supposed to look. Any statements (or opinions for that matter) that differ from this absolute truth are completely and categorically false. :cool:
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#17 of 31 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,772 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 10:44 AM

I have rarely seen blu-rays of classic films look better than the Godfather blu-rays.

#18 of 31 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 11:47 AM

Uh-huh.

#19 of 31 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 10:36 PM

This set, for me, is this best Blu-ray Disc I own. I know there are a couple of unfathomably long threads on LoA, but to me this is at least as good a restoration, and a better film (parts 1 & 2, that is). Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#20 of 31 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted December 06 2012 - 08:45 PM

It's perfect except for the missing 10 second musical chord between the end credits of G part II and the restoration credits. Which is only a problem for those watch to the very end, and who love the film and the music as originally presented in 1974.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users