Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Terminator, The Remastered Blu-ray

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 of 43 gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 08:19 AM

So including LaserDisc, this will be my fifth dip on this film. Well, considering all the versions I bought of T2 (including two on LD), five is actually not that many! :) -greg

#22 of 43 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,094 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 08:22 AM

Now we know how Cameron financed Avatar.
Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#23 of 43 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 04:27 PM

I'm holding out hope for the mono track; Fox has been pretty good lately at including original soundtracks on their Blu-rays (though there have been exceptions). Maybe there's still time to get their attention. But yeah, if it's not included, that's disappointing. Aside from a remastered picture, that's the main thing fans have been asking for in a new release since the old one came out.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#24 of 43 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,230 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 03:01 AM

The Terminator 4K scan next?

I am willing to bet there will be another Blu-ray release of this movie. So, far, we had the initial release, then the digibook, now the new transfer is coming; next will be this same transfer with the mono track and a new supplement and cover. :) I and II are usually released multiple times in every format. The studio loves to keep going back to the well for these.

#25 of 43 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 05:01 AM

I'm passing on this one too. Without the original mono mix, I'll just keep waiting.

#26 of 43 GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 951 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 01:44 PM

Well, to be fair, the reason was only that the producers refused Cameron's request for it, despite his coming in substantially under-budget on the film. If memory serves, he was refused $30,000 for a 4-channel mix after having saved the production some $600,000 (someone, please correct my figures, if I'm off). Directionality is not so much my concern, but I want the original sound effects and foley, not the new replacement tracks.

+1 on that. If the new 5.1 track was respectful to the original mix, as in no new effects were added or music altered, then the loss of the original mono mix wouldn't be nearly as bad. But for me the various new gunshots ..and there are a few guns fired thoughout the feature. ;-) are so different it is like the George Lucas audio mix: "Take it or leave it." I'll leave it.

#27 of 43 David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 02:21 PM

.... I and II are usually released multiple times in every format. The studio loves to keep going back to the well for these.

Which is an interesting thought... So my question is: Does a studio actually make more money by authoring, replicating and marketing these two films over and over and over and over and over again? Or would they have better sales & have less expense, by releasing them less frequently but doing it correctly the first time: IE: Disney classics, Star Wars box set, Indiana Jones box set, Dark Knight and Batman films, Back to the Future films, and many other examples. What makes these single 2 films worthy of authoring poorly but replicating and marketing repeatedly? This strategy just can't be productive in the long run, could it? Wouldn't other franchises follow this model?

#28 of 43 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,230 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 07:19 AM

Which is an interesting thought... So my question is: Does a studio actually make more money by authoring, replicating and marketing these two films over and over and over and over and over again? Or would they have better sales & have less expense, by releasing them less frequently but doing it correctly the first time: IE: Disney classics, Star Wars box set, Indiana Jones box set, Dark Knight and Batman films, Back to the Future films, and many other examples. What makes these single 2 films worthy of authoring poorly but replicating and marketing repeatedly? This strategy just can't be productive in the long run, could it? Wouldn't other franchises follow this model?

My guess is, they do make something on these each time as the hard core fans and new consumers to the market buy them. I would have to believe sales and marketing have data on this kind of stuff. Warner, for example, continues to do this with a whole slew of titles (Goodfellas, Kubrick stuff, Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, etc. to name a few) and in many cases, it's the exact same video encode, so the costs of a new "edition" with a new extra and/or new cover art/case is probably not very expensive and if it is more money (such as in Digibook form) a price is adjusted for it. Once they milk out the same encode as many times as possible (2-3 various releases it often seems, but depends on the title), then a new transfer or new encode is released as they have pretty much exhausted every other sales opportunity at that point and that pushes out the "final" purchase for many of that title although in this case with Terminator and leaving off the lossless track leaves me thinking we'll see this re-released in 2-3 years or maybe with the next Terminator movie if it comes about.

#29 of 43 ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 11:23 AM

Dammit. I've been waiting to buy a proper version of this film on blu, and it looks like this isn't it (again). It could have been so easy.

#30 of 43 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted December 06 2012 - 07:37 PM

Well this is it. The image is spectacular. If you don't like the 5.1 remix like most fans of the film, you have to obtain the sound by other means. Muxing it for your private use is then piece of cake.

#31 of 43 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 04:37 AM

Well this is it. The image is spectacular. If you don't like the 5.1 remix like most fans of the film, you have to obtain the sound by other means. Muxing it for your private use is then piece of cake.

I'm sure the image is spectacular. It's not as simple as muxing as you'd probably have to do some work to make sure the mono track is in sync. I'm not opposed to doing the work (I once spent several days making a DVD of the uncut version of Kill Bill Vol. 1 from the Japanese disc and creating a subtitle track for only the scenes that needed it), but it's just so ridiculous that I should have to go to all of that trouble. As ljthompson says above, "It could have been so easy." I'll continue to wait for a proper release.

#32 of 43 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted December 15 2012 - 07:57 PM

No I mean fans have already synced the PCM LD mono to this new release. As long as you "obtain" it, you mux it and it's perfectly synced. I think it would be great if MGM made it available as a download from their website. I've been talking for years of Allternate soundtracks mixes that you can download officially after entering your email or something with your proof of purchase, I have no idea why it's never done.

#33 of 43 Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 11:12 AM

I think it would be great if MGM made it available as a download from their website. I've been talking for years of Allternate soundtracks mixes that you can download officially after entering your email or something with your proof of purchase, I have no idea why it's never done.

It would give BD-Live a legitimate purpose that Blu-ray consumers care about. We can't have that.

#34 of 43 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted December 16 2012 - 09:03 PM

LOL I think the american Blu-ray is probably at the pressing plant so it's probably already too late to do anything, sadly.

I did play the disc with the mono track from the LD, and I have to say, thought it's my prefered mix... it doesn't gel with the pristine restoration of the picture. The 5.1 sounds more organic to it, but it as problems. If only they did fix it...

#35 of 43 Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted December 16 2012 - 11:26 PM

I watched my UK release copy of T1 a couple of nights ago (watched T2 the next night), and I have little to complain about. The 5.1 isn't perfect by any means, but at no point was I pulled out of the movie due to the implausibility of the effects. The restored video and newer audio pair up quite nicely. I skipped the original BD release of Terminator, waiting for the eventual remaster plodding along with regular viewings of my T1 DVD. It was worth the wait :)

#36 of 43 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 07:05 AM

Has anyone heard anything for sure about whether the mono track has been included on the US release? I know it's unlikely, but it's not unprecedented for something that was left off of an international release to turn up on the US one (some of the Bond movies, for example).
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#37 of 43 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,905 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 11:45 AM

Amazon has this on sale this week for $8.99

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#38 of 43 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,080 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted March 25 2013 - 02:24 PM

Just ordered. Thanks Ron.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#39 of 43 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,060 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 07:26 AM

I dipped, once again!

I have a question, I was at Best Buy and saw this and picked it up. It was a tad more then the Amazon price, but I was okay with that. The question is if I got the right one?

I have the earlier blu-ray, so I know what I got is not that. What has me confused is that the cover art is a different shot of Arnold. The shot is a front-on front view from his stomach on up and he's holding the pistol with the laser sight in his right hand and the Uzi in the other. I think it's an Uzi. Both are pointing up. He's wearing the sunglasses and the red light glows from his left lense.

All the specs are the same, language subtitles, English, French and Spanish, 7 deleted scenes, Creating the Terminator: Visual Effects & Music, Terminator: A Retrospective.

At the bottom of the rear cover is the MGM logo on the left with the small text that says Package Design with the copyright icon and 2012 date.

The blu-ray catalog number above the barcode is: M128315
The bar code numbers are: 27616 15128 5 80

If this is the wrong one, I can return it. Just curious if I got the newest one with the new transfer, despite the audio not being the original. With the art being different, maybe it's a Best Buy cover? or thr art being shown on Amazon ans Best Buy's site is wrong?

Thanks for any help.

#40 of 43 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,478 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 07:38 AM

The copy I have, which I know for sure is the remastered copy, has him standing in what looks like an alleyway, holding a sighted M-16 in his R hand and can't tell what is in L hand, he is wearing sunglasses, and the L eye is laser sighted.  Don't know what the barcode numbers are.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users