Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ They Live -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,603 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:32 AM

They Live, an interesting John Carpenter film from 1988, has made its way to Blu-ray from Universal to Scream Factory, and rather like The Island, has that very special Universal look.

Color here is quite nice, with decent shadow detail, and a proper Universal non-cinema look, with

grain properly eradicated.  Interestingly, in many black & white shots, whatever software was used for the eradication, left a few frames of ugly grain behind, appearing as if it's trying to escape.

Audio is fine as DTS-MA 2.0

An oddity that has gained a certain following.

Image - 3.5 *

Audio - 4

RAH

* Standard Universal handicap.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 12:42 PM

It's really ashamed we are nearly seven years into the high def format and are still seeing these issues from Universal. Is it they still don't get it, or just using older masters? Sigh.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,603 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 01:37 PM

It's really ashamed we are nearly seven years into the high def format and are still seeing these issues from Universal. Is it they still don't get it, or just using older masters? Sigh.

They get it. These are probably older cable masters. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:06 PM

Isn't it funny? This transfer is getting raves on other boards.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,603 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 11:37 PM

I don't understand. For a Universal catalog title, my comments are a rave. :D RAH

#6 of 7 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,336 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:43 AM

Yeah, I think it looks great. I make no claim to being an authority and while I have all the respect in the world for RAH and his opinion, I really doubt that many people are going to be dissapointed by this transfer (not counting the people who are just going to repeat what RAH or another legitimate authority has said so they can sound informed).

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted December 03 2012 - 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Harris 

* Standard Universal handicap.

Can i re-use that phrase for future posts i may make. ?  I'll abbreviate it to SUH, as you know i am useless with abbreviations so hopefully i can bamboozle a few people who love to abbreviate titles.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users