What's new

Will we ever see LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR on blu? (1 Viewer)

L

Larry-Bender

i don't believe that this has ever been released on dvd. I'm not sure the reason, maybe music rights issues?

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Geez,will you ever stop creating this annoying request/query threads??:confused:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
This is one film I have been wanting to see forever, I've even emailed Criteiron to see if they would consider it for a release. I think music rights have maybe been an issue. I would buy it on BLU if it would ever get a release with music I intact.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
2 years ago it was shown on NETFLIX streaming in HD......so I'm thinking the rights have been cleared. Why has it not been released?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by kagemusha98 /t/325681/will-we-ever-see-looking-for-mr-goodbar-on-blu#post_4008504
2 years ago it was shown on NETFLIX streaming in HD......so I'm thinking the rights have been cleared. Why has it not been released?

Sometimes rights have been cleared for cable or TV licensing but not for home video, and that may be the case here.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
kagemusha98 said:
Seems like streaming is treated more like cable / tv broadcast than home video / physical media. You will notice quite a few films that have been plagued on home video by music rights issues, appearing on Netflix (or other streaming services) with soundtracks completely intact. Meanwhile, the home video iterations remain on the market with music alterations.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
On this general subject, anyone know the status of Where the Buffalo Roam with regard to original music? I believe that was an issue on DVD. Admittedly I haven't followed up on this myself in years, so it might already have been resolved... (he said, hopefully).

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Donnie
"Goodbar" is my most sought after title on disc! Diane Keaton is brilliant. One of the best and most overlooked films of the 70s.

DeanHarris

Agent
Real Name
Dean Harris
A couple of years ago, one of our moderators confirmed that this title is now owned by Warners (At Paramount Today: Here is what I found out), which I would expect to be a good thing. Plenty of films with limited appeal and complicated (and packed) soundtracks have managed to find their way into release. Does anyone know for a fact that disco is truly the culprit here?

And crap if I didn't lose my TCM recording when I swapped out my cable box a couple of months ago :(

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It is shown theatrically from time to time. It was available on Netflix in HD years ago and then was gone.
Does anyone know why it still has not been released on Blu or streaming?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It is shown theatrically from time to time. It was available on Netflix in HD years ago and then was gone.
Does anyone know why it still has not been released on Blu or streaming?

Perhaps for the same reason(s) that ORDINARY PEOPLE and THE LONGEST YARD (1976) and TESTAMENT and a pile of Jerry Lewis films and ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES and PLAY IT AGAIN SAM and A PLACE IN THE SUN and ROMAN HOLIDAY and PRETTY BABY and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, etc.....and why classics such as ROMEO AND JULIET and PAPER MOON and ATLANTIC CITY , etc. are only available from overseas. You'll have to ask Paramount. Good luck. They tell us nothing and refuse to answer any inquiries, leaving us to speculate, which is of course how counterproductive rumors gather momentum. I'm glad that the studio is doing so damn well that it can afford to utterly ignore its back catalog library when it comes to Blu-ray release.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
All those Vistavision movies they made ! When ??? I have too watch them on dvd. WB released Gunfight at the OK Corral at least. Too bad they didn't release more. : ( Excellent bluray of Samson and Delilah in 2014. I Wish The Greatest Show on Earth by Cecil B. was released at the time also. Best Picture of 1952 and they don't even care ! ??? I don't get it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
All those Vistavision movies they made ! When ??? I have too watch them on dvd.

Count yourself lucky. There are numerous Vista Vision films I'd love to see which are not available even on DVD.

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR was the biggest downer I saw in 1977. I just felt awful when I left, even though the ending moments were depicted in strobing light and were not terribly clear. But it happened to contain one of Diane Keaton's finest performances, so I feel conflicted as hell about it. I don't think I'd ever wish to watch it again, but she is awesome in it. I would never pay to own a copy of it. This to my mind is the worst film ever directed by Richard Brooks, because... oh, I don't know, what's the point? Seems like sheer exploitation to me, with only a token "cautionary" message about blind dating. Unpleasant in the extreme. I can't quite wrap my head around why people find this a desirable film to acquire. Please explain...I have an open mind.

Last edited:

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
A couple of years ago, one of our moderators confirmed that this title is now owned by Warners (At Paramount Today: Here is what I found out), which I would expect to be a good thing. Plenty of films with limited appeal and complicated (and packed) soundtracks have managed to find their way into release. Does anyone know for a fact that disco is truly the culprit here?

And crap if I didn't lose my TCM recording when I swapped out my cable box a couple of months ago :(

It is not owned by Warner. They distributed Paramount catalog titles for a few years but now Paramount has gone back to distributing themselves.

Re: Goodbar on Disc. It is a music rights issue. I guess since the film is packed with 70's disco and pop tunes it is too costly to negotiate rights for all of it. That is my understanding.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
This was the biggest downer I saw in 1977. I just felt awful when I left, even though the ending moments were depicted in strobing light and were not terribly clear. But it happened to contain one of Diane Keaton's finest performances, so I feel conflicted as hell about it. I don't think I'd ever wish to watch it again, but she is awesome in it. I would never pay to own a copy of it. This to my mind is the worst film ever directed by Richard Brooks, because... oh, I don't know, what's the point? Seems like sheer exploitation to me, with only a token "cautionary" message about blind dating. Unpleasant in the extreme. I can't quite wrap my head around why people find this a desirable film to acquire. Please explain...I have an open mind.

I've only watched it a couple of times, once in the late 70's when it was shown on L.A.'s The Z Channel, I was 15 at the time and about 10 years later on Cinemax. I remember being caught by surprise when I first watched it. But I don't think it was a downer more than quite shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks