Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

3-strip Technicolor, year by year

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 of 133 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,940 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 01:06 AM

A new HD transfer of The Picture of Dorian Gray has appeared on Amazon Prime, and it looks very good to me. Those Technicolor inserts of the painting are wonderful and increasingly horrifying. The painting was done by a very good painter, Ivan Albright, and it now is in Chicago's famed Art Institute: http://www.artic.edu...s/artwork/93798 A good slow burn horror-suspense film, and one of the best Twilight Zone-like movies created before that show made miniature versions of this kind of thing a weekly event. Posted Image

#122 of 133 OFFLINE   Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 328 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted March 04 2013 - 08:04 AM

If "Dorian Gray" gets a Blu-Ray release I hope they include the MGM Passing Parade short subject "Grandpa Called it Art." It includes footage of Albright and his painting for the movie.

#123 of 133 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,940 posts

Posted June 08 2013 - 10:03 AM

According to the web site of The Film Foundation, they have already done a restoration of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, a classic 3-strip Technicolor Western directed by John Ford and starring John Wayne. The cinematography for this film, by Winton Hoch, won an Oscar. I'm wondering why this hasn't been released on blu-ray, if a restoration has already been done. Is it perhaps an older restoration, that needs to be re-done for the blu-ray era?

http://www.film-foun...?clientID=11004

Edited by benbess, June 08 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#124 of 133 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted June 08 2013 - 10:36 AM

According to site web site of The Film Foundation, they have already done a restoration of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, a classic 3-strip Technicolor Western directed by John Ford and starring John Wayne. The cinematography for this film, by Winton Hoch, won an Oscar. I'm wondering why this hasn't been released on blu-ray, if a restoration has already been done. Is it perhaps an older restoration, that needs to be re-done for the blu-ray era?

www.film-foundation.org

That's another perfectly marketable title that Warner has been dragging its feet on....

#125 of 133 ONLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,342 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 09 2013 - 09:26 AM

There were more than 30 Technicolor movies released in 1944, a big increase from the previous year's 20. My guess is that the Technicolor Corporation somehow expanded even with the shortages of World War II, and made more 3-strip cameras and hired more people.

We do have this very nice all-region Blu-ray of Ali-Baba and the Forty Thieves from Eureka:

Posted Image

I'm a little surprised there have been such sporadic reviews and seemingly little discussion about this Blu-ray. Thankfully, I ignored most of the screen caps available which don't really do it justice in motion. I thought Universal/Eureka did a smashing job with this title overall...very clean and stable without being mauled by overprocessing. On balance, one of the better Technicolor transfers I've seen on Blu-ray, and one of my happiest blind buys last year. So no qualms about recommending it to forum members who might still be sitting on the fence.

Edited by ROclockCK, June 09 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#126 of 133 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,275 posts

Posted June 10 2013 - 07:25 AM

We do have this very nice all-region Blu-ray of Ali-Baba and the Forty Thieves from Eureka:

Posted Image

I'm a little surprised there have been such sporadic reviews and seemingly little discussion about this Blu-ray. Thankfully, I ignored most of the screen caps available which don't really do it justice in motion. I thought Universal/Eureka did a smashing job with this title overall...very clean and stable without being mauled by overprocessing. On balance, one of the better Technicolor transfers I've seen on Blu-ray, and one of my happiest blind buys last year. So no qualms about recommending it to forum members who might still be sitting on the fence.

It has been discussed in the International Blu-ray threads. Everyone there agrees that this a magnificent BRD. 

#127 of 133 ONLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,342 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 10 2013 - 08:29 AM

Ahhhhh...still discovering the many nooks and crannies of this site. ;)

#128 of 133 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted June 10 2013 - 08:35 AM

Didn't see Barkley's of Broadway listed, wasn't that 3-strip?

#129 of 133 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted June 10 2013 - 09:56 AM

Didn't see Barkley's of Broadway listed, wasn't that 3-strip?

Yes indeed...Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers' only Technicolor feature production together!!!

#130 of 133 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted May 27 2015 - 12:35 PM

POPULAR

#131 of 133 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted June 01 2015 - 03:25 PM

Wow. Amazing.

#132 of 133 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,339 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted June 01 2015 - 04:41 PM

Yes indeed. A great little short film. Thanks for posting....

#133 of 133 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,110 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 01 2015 - 04:46 PM

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users