Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Advice on New 2.8 Telephoto Lens

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 of 32 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,347 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 12 2012 - 05:31 AM

Trust me, when I roll up on 40+ photographers each with $8k+ lenses my gear acquisition syndrome (GAS) goes into overdrive....

I get that same feeling when I visit Yellowstone N.P., Sam. My 100-400L seems so small next to all those 500mm and 600mm primes. If we lived closer to that park, I'd have to figure out a way to fund one of those puppies.

#22 of 32 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 05:43 AM

Sam - out of curiosity, what were the guys in the photograph taking pictures of? Are they what we in the UK call 'twitchers' - i.e. bird watchers? Honestly and truly, I have seen guys using lenses that size, handheld, trying to photograph birds 200+ yards away. The first time I saw the phenomenon, I thought it was a one off but I've seen it several times since. I wonder if these guys ever put two and two together that some of their distance shots are a bit blurry?

#23 of 32 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,800 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 12 2012 - 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

Trust me, when I roll up on 40+ photographers each with $8k+ lenses my gear acquisition syndrome (GAS) goes into overdrive....

Heh-heh.  Sam goes to take photos...and gets gas.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#24 of 32 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 02:06 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#25 of 32 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,673 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 17 2012 - 02:22 AM

Sam - out of curiosity, what were the guys in the photograph taking pictures of? Are they what we in the UK call 'twitchers' - i.e. bird watchers? Honestly and truly, I have seen guys using lenses that size, handheld, trying to photograph birds 200+ yards away. The first time I saw the phenomenon, I thought it was a one off but I've seen it several times since. I wonder if these guys ever put two and two together that some of their distance shots are a bit blurry?

Bald Eagles. For reference, this is about as good as I can get with a D300 and a 70-300: Posted Image 10-ConowingoBaldEagles-8723 by Kadath, on Flickr This is what the guys with 400s and up can get: http://www.facebook....6728?ref=stream

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#26 of 32 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 05:25 AM

For reference, this is about as good as I can get with a D300 and a 70-300:

Nice photo - if that is without tripod then that is really really impressive.

#27 of 32 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 05:27 AM

P.S. Don't you have any large birds in the USA? That's about the size of a British robin. ;)

#28 of 32 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,347 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 20 2012 - 10:52 AM

P.S. Don't you have any large birds in the USA? That's about the size of a British robin. ;)

Is this big enough for you, Andrew? :) http://www.hometheat...e/61/id/172370/

#29 of 32 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,673 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 22 2012 - 02:57 AM

Nice photo - if that is without tripod then that is really really impressive.

Yes, all handheld, cropped to taste. But I know there is a lot of muddled detail on there lost by using a consumer grade lens and not an exotic tele... Looking at what the pro lenses are able to resolve on the conowingo FB page and Flickr is very revealing...

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#30 of 32 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted December 22 2012 - 07:24 AM

Is this big enough for you, Andrew?

Not really - looks like a rather drabber version of the British starling: ;) [Apologies for the picture quality - I have a much better composed version in higher res but couldn't find it].

#31 of 32 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,347 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 22 2012 - 07:45 AM

Those things are tacky lawn decorations here in the States, Andrew. :)

#32 of 32 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,884 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 22 2012 - 08:12 AM

Those things are based on a real bird???? KIDDING...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users