Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Just read over at www.thedigitalbits.com that Sony will be releasing Charley Chase Shorts V1 on 1/1/2013 via MOD/DVD-R and they may be the sound shorts.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 12:11 PM

Here is a link to the article detailing what will be included in this set and it seems like the sound shorts are finally going to be making their way onto the DVD format...http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/112812_1200 "Sony will also release Charlie Chase Shorts: Volume 1 as an MOD DVD-R title on 1/1/13. Included will be Man Bites Lovebug, The Mind Needer, The Chump Takes a Bump, Rattling Romeo, Skinny the Moocher, The Awful Goof, The Heckler, South of the Boudoir and A Nag in the Bag."

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 01:24 PM

Has hell frozen over? Sony is actually releasing more of its shorts? Would have preferred a release through the TCM partnership, but I'm glad these are finally being released. Assuming this is through their MOD line, this is a landmark in actually releasing a shorts collection through that line, as it rarely has any collections to begin with outside of a handful or repackaged sets of previously released films.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 06:34 PM

Count me in with open arms. Hoping this is the first in a wave of their two-reelers seeing the light of day.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:40 AM

The product page on the Sony HE site misspells Charley's first name. I hope that's corrected before the packaging is finalized.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   BrianRi

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 10:19 PM

Great news! Sold!

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 10:02 AM

Has hell frozen over? Sony is actually releasing more of its shorts? Would have preferred a release through the TCM partnership, but I'm glad these are finally being released. Assuming this is through their MOD line, this is a landmark in actually releasing a shorts collection through that line, as it rarely has any collections to begin with outside of a handful or repackaged sets of previously released films.

Don't...get...me...started.... Mike S.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,988 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 05 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hope this is available through other outlets, I don;t think Sony ships to Canada with the MOD.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 06:24 AM

Hope this is available through other outlets, I don;t think Sony ships to Canada with the MOD.

It should eventually be available through at least WBshop, Amazon, and Oldies. It probably ends up on eBay as well. I haven't seen a pre-order anywhere yet.

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:05 PM

It should eventually be available through at least WBshop, Amazon, and Oldies. It probably ends up on eBay as well. I haven't seen a pre-order anywhere yet.

I think a pre-order listing just went up on Amazon tonight...http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Chase-Shorts-Vol-1/dp/B00AIA89ZA/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1354939533&sr=1-1&keywords=charlie+chase

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 05:52 AM

Has anyone seen the box art yet?

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 08:45 AM

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 11:08 AM

Just saw it posted on Amazon.com for 18 bucks. http://www.amazon.co...s=charlie chase

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 11:20 AM

The estimate has mine getting here Friday... hope so, as this set is as highly anticipated as anything in a long while.... up there with the Stooges Rare Teasures/Fatty and Shemp Vitaphone set.....

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,988 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 04 2013 - 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rdf8585 

The estimate has mine getting here Friday... hope so, as this set is as highly anticipated as anything in a long while.... up there with the Stooges Rare Teasures/Fatty and Shemp Vitaphone set.....

Curious to see a review of this if you could. I'm a fan of shorts, but that fatty Shemp set went south after the Fatty shorts ended. Disc one did anyway, I still have to watch disc 2.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,797 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 05 2013 - 03:46 AM

Received my disc yesterday and thought the transfers were top notch. I remember Mike S. stating a couple of years ago that Sony was planing to release Chase's shorts so I expect that they worked on the transfers and we are seeing the fruits of that work. I enjoyed each short with Chase a unique comic with excellent timing and Ann Doren is a perfect female foil for him. Bring on some more of his shorts.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted January 05 2013 - 04:41 AM

Curious to see a review of this if you could. I'm a fan of shorts, but that fatty Shemp set went south after the Fatty shorts ended. Disc one did anyway, I still have to watch disc 2.

I've watched the full collection yesterday, and as someone who has never seen his Columbia work (and was a bit wary) , I can thankfully say that this Charley Chase set is very strong. Chase wastes little time getting back to his groove at Columbia by the first couple shorts. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a big Chase fan, but I found the majority of them hilarious. I'll second the endorsement of this set's transfers--they're just as good as those found in the Stooge sets. I'd recommend watching the second disc of the Vitaphone collection. I agree it's pretty hit and miss, but there are some entertaining shorts on that half of the collection.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 01:27 PM

I've read some posts in various forums suggesting there may only be this one release, despite its being titled "Volume 1." I hope that turns out not to be the case. But I do find it curious that they are "starting" with his last shorts. I hope usable film elements exist on all of them. I've seen a few at Sons meetings and enjoyed them. Looking forward to this DVD, and hopefully more. But then, Sony's Buster Keaton shorts collection had the films in alphabetical order, so whatever.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 02:42 PM

From what I read in other forums from people that represent Sony, there will be more if sales are good. If so, Volume 2 should be out this Fall. RHI/Vivendi have the Hal Roach shorts, and I agree those should be released one way or another. Currently, the only show up on TCM once in a great while. Judging from those that aired, it seems that pretty much all of the sound Hal Roach Chase's have been remastered outside of his earliest in which some are still missing their separate sound discs.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 11:26 AM

From what I read in other forums from people that represent Sony, there will be more if sales are good. If so, Volume 2 should be out this Fall. RHI/Vivendi have the Hal Roach shorts, and I agree those should be released one way or another. Currently, the only show up on TCM once in a great while. Judging from those that aired, it seems that pretty much all of the sound Hal Roach Chase's have been remastered outside of his earliest in which some are still missing their separate sound discs.

Hoping they do release Volume 2 this year and we get a completed series of Chase's sound shorts...great talent and funny as hell!

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 10:01 PM

One year later and it seems Digital Bits is also announcing Vol 2. of the remaining shorts.  Hooray!

http://www.thedigita...nts/093013_1315

Hoping this paves the way for more Columbia shorts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users