What's new

Please help! Speaker choice (1 Viewer)

Nitsuj79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Cartwright
I had a home theater company come out to my house to give me ideas on a new surround sound system. I currently have a bose surround sound with a Yamaha 7 channel amp. They are pushing me towards the kef speaker set up. My room is about 20 x 20 x 10 foot tall ceilings. I have a 60 inch plasma above my fireplace. They want to set me up with 2 kef q900 towers for the fronts and the rest would be the kef 3005se set up with the center and satellites and the sub. I also have a 8 inch velodyne sub I will be using. The new receiver would be the onkyo 818. This set up will cost around 5000 dollars with install and set up. Is this a good set up or can I do better for the price. Any help would be appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Considering the cost(from Amazon) is $4600....
They are making "some" money on the equipment itself...and charging you $400 over buying it and installing it yourself....
Which I assume includes all the HDMI and speaker wire? (which costs them essentially "nothing"...)
Yeah, that is an alright deal.
The only "concern" I have. The sub for the 3005 set is going to end up being a lost step child...depending on what Velo you've got...add to that, the sub isn't going to accomplish anything those Q900 aren't already going to do.
Edit:
Just noticed the sub in the 3005 is a 10" with a reasonable amount of power...so it might be fine.

Nitsuj79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Cartwright
Thanks. Are there any other set ups to consider? I guess I'm not asking if the price is good but more can I get better equipment for this price. It's mostly for movies. I've also heard good things on this forum about the svs subs, should I consider this over the kef sub.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You aren't going to find ANYBODY with a bad thing to say about the Q900. KEF is legendary...the "beat of KEF" just keeps rolling on...and the Q series is their latest..."lookie here what we got"...
Not sure why they've steered you away from "smaller Q" for the remainder...but...
The Q100 and 300 are reasonably priced...considering a pair of either costs less than ONE Q900. The only egregiously priced speaker of the Q line is the center.
Other to choose in the same "realm"...
http://www.amazon.com/Mordaunt-Short-Mezzo-Floorstanding-Speakers-Walnut/dp/B003T0WFGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354081591&sr=1-1&keywords=mordaunt+mezzo
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Channel-Speaker-Single/dp/B000VLC538/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354081628&sr=1-1&keywords=polk+lsi15 (the RTi must be up for replacement...the prices have "tanked", which is the best time to buy a speaker...when the manufacturer is in "clearance mode")
http://www.amazon.com/MB-Quart-Alexxa-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B000R6YUP8/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1354081771&sr=1-4&keywords=mb+quart (off the beaten path...but what a path MB Q creates)
At $5000....
You got all night?

Nitsuj79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Cartwright
I know there are a ton of options. Thanks for making me feel better about the kef line. The reason for the satellites is I don't have enough room for a large center due to it has to sit on my fireplace mantle and no good way to mount the book shelf speakers to the walls. I told them no book shelf speakers should I reconsider?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, given you have space requirements...you could try these (available as a 105 and 205 as well)...
http://www.amazon.com/KEF-T305-Home-Theater-System/dp/B004CX9L4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354082867&sr=1-1&keywords=kef+t305
You can buy the 301 and 301c "singularly". Which would probably be wise...as the "flat sub", while a great idea...probably wouldn't "hang" with the Q900.
I'd ask them to "bring both" the T305 and 3005SE and see which works best for you.
Edit:
Using "Amazon pricing"...the T305 is $2200. Two pair of T301 and a 301C would be $1660...

Nitsuj79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Cartwright
Ok. Thanks for all your help. I will talk to them tomorrow about all the options now that I feel comfortable with the kef line. One last question for subs. They are suggesting a proficient 10 inch sub if I don't go with the kef 3005se package. What are your thoughts on these and what is a safe bet on a great sub for the 400-500 dollar price range?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've never heard a "Proficient" branded anything.
But considering Speakercraft is behind it...their quality shouldn't be questioned. By shear status of Speakercraft...it deserves a tryout. Will be the equal to an Epik or SVS at the same "price and size"....that is for you to determine.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm sure if this company is offering Proficient...they have access to all of "this" as well...
http://www.nortekinc.com/products/technology-solutions/#residential-audiovisual

Nitsuj79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Cartwright
Another option I forgot to mention would be the kef ci200qr 8 inch in ceiling speakers for the center which would be about a foot higher than my tv if in the ceiling and using them for the surround in a 7.1 set up. Would this option be better than the satellites or book shelf? I heard a lot of negative things on this forum regarding in ceiling speakers so it scared away. It would be a very nice and clean install though. Thanks for all your input.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To answer that question...
We need a picture of your TV placement...
But a more direct answer. Your tweeters "along the front soundstage" should be close to each other in overall height. I wouldn't even put the center on top of the TV. I'd keep it below. There "should be" a center speaker mount for the TV mount you have. IE...mount your center speaker TO the TV.
The advantage there would be if you one day decide to put a mount there that allows you to swing the TV down from the wall to in front of the fireplace. If the center is mounted to the TV....the center is always there.

Nitsuj79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Cartwright
The tv is mounted on top of the fireplace with about an 8 inch clearance from the mantle. If I did a center under it would just sit on top of the mantle. What about ceiling speakers for surround will they be equal to satellites or book shelf. The ceiling is vaulted but only goes to about 11 feet at the peak. We're the speakers would go in the back the ceiling is about 9 foot and angled towards me. I don't know how to post pictures yet I will try later if I get some time.

Nitsuj79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Cartwright
Ok I think I finally have it figured out between 2 set ups. The kef q900 towers for both with the egg center on both due to size restraints and either the eggs for a 7 channel set up or the kef 10 inch ceiling speakers with a 5 speaker set up. If it was you which one would you pick?

ambesolman

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Being a square room, some room treatments would be a very good idea, I.e. diffusers etc.

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
The subwoofer is the most important component of the theater system. The little velodyne is not going to cut it. The Kef ain't going to cut it either. Do you have room for two subwoofers? We need to know your system goals. Do you want a compact system to hide?Or are big tower speakers okay. Can you space front and rear tower speakers? Is your installer going to hide the speaker wires in the wall?
If they are simply going to hook the gear up and run cable that's something you can do with a friend and a 6 pack of ale...If you have a wife and don't mind arguing a bit, you can even do the job with her.
We really could use more info on your system goals. I think 5k is a reasonable amount of money but your current suggestion to me doesn't seem optimized. I would invest at least 1,000$ in subwoofers alone...if you don't mind extra space consumption two subs are better than one.
I would look into the Paradigm Cinema series of speakers. They offer great value and are wall mountable. From acoustic standpoint there are compromises but for good looks you can't beat them. Do you need features in a receiver? It's not logical to spend more money on amplifier for features you will not be using.
I would suggest the following system...
NAD 748 699$
Paradigm Cinema 200 left, right, rear, surrounds
Paradigm Cinema 400 Center Channel 1400$ for all speakers
HSU Research Dual Drive ULS 15 subwoofers 2250$
150$ for wiring, cables (nothing fancy just the basics you need)
This package would give you real subsonic bass that would easily outclass the subwoofers you have. Once you have real bass you won't won't to go back :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Paradigm Cinema 200(which is by no means a bad speaker) against the KEF Q900?
Are you insane?
And it is besides the point to task the ULS 15 to run up to 120hz...

Nitsuj79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Cartwright
Update. I ordered the q900 towers, q600 center with 4 kef eggs for surround. Dont have room for towers behind me and wife doesnt want to look at the big q300 bookshelfs. either way its mostly for movies. Going with the onkyo 818 and two pb1000 svs subs. I already ran 12 gauge wire to all the locations hidden in the wall since I'm an electrical contractor not to hard. I will let you guys know how it sounds. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
I suggested the cinema for ease of placement and of course wall mounting simplicity. The Kef will be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks