What's new

5.1 Analog to Digital Converter? (1 Viewer)

DTeuscher

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek Teuscher
Over the weekend, my old Sony Receiver died and so I picked up an open-box Pioneer VSX-53 for a price I couldn't pass up.
The new receiver doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs and I have one of those old Sony DVD/CD/SACD 400 disk changers.
The changer only sends the SACD signal through the 5.1 analog outputs. Regular CDs and DVDs are sent through the digital outputs.
Does anyone know of a way I can make this work? I searched around and I found digital to analog converters, but not the other way around.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It wouldn't matter if you did find one...
SACD only exists over 6 channel(what you had) or HDMI. (if such thing existed...toslink nor digital coax is capable of 6 channel hi-res anyway)
It would be less expensive(and yes, I know...400 changer...) to buy a new BD player that you can play them singly on...that you wish to hear 5.1.

DTeuscher

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek Teuscher
Thanks for the heads up. I already have a 3D BD player and I checked the specs and it will play SACDs!
I never even thought to check that.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We are here to help. By the way, if you have any DVD-A...there are some BD players that play it over HDMI as well(namely the OPPO, but I also know there is at least one Denon that does it...and others, by now. Last I checked was when the Denon/Marantz 1600??? was "new")

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Pioneer has a few BR players that play DVD-A/SACD over hdmi only have hdmi output. 5.1 analogs are also starting to disappear. I think Yamaha did too (BDP-1010). The older Marants VC-6001 universal changer will only play DVD-A through hdmi, not SACD. I bet the Yamaha 950 was the same way (same basic player).
And those of you with older non-hdmi universal players and a new receiver without 5.1 analogs can at least enjoy 2 channel DVD-A/SACD by connecting the front analog outs to any analog in on the receiver (I think so anyway. I've never tried it myself).
And as I've mentioned before, all DVD-A's have a 5.1 Dolby Digital layer that can be played through any digital connection (but it won't be hi-resolution).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is why I'm glad I care not for 3D. I can buy all the 6 channel I want now. Although the used price on my Denon DVD 3910 has crashed...if I ever decided to sell it.
Heck. I've got two 6 channel universals collecting dust in a closet...along with an Integra DTR 5.8.

Vettaiyan

Auditioning
Real Name
Vengatesh
Hi,
I was also looking for a 5.1 analog to digital converter. I upgraded my receiver from Yamaha HTR 5650 to Yamaha RX-V671.
I use Oppo DV-983H for playing 5.1 encoded Audio CDs. With the receiver upgrade, i'm unable to see the Analog inputs on RX-V671.
Am looking for 5.1 Analog to Digital (either coaxial, optical or HDMI) converter so that i have all functions on the new receiver without investing on additional 5.1 speaker system.
Any guidance is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks