-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is CARS 2 in 3-D worth $20.?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 01:37 PM

This is the one and only Pixar title I do not yet own on Blu-ray. The reviews have been consistently negative. I will not for my life understand why Lasseter or whoever chose this as their only non-TOY STORY sequel (until the MONSTERS, INC. one was announced), when the critical response for the first CARS film was only mediocre. This sequel doesn't even have Paul Newman's voice. But Best Buy is carrying it right now for $19.99 on 3-D Blu-ray, and I have been buying up 3-D discs for an imminent 3-D Panasonic Plasma t.v. purchase. I've spent no more than $20.00 each on Amazon and at Best Buy for CORALINE, A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, POLAR EXPRESS, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF TH EARTH, and THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN. Whoops, I actually paid $24.99 for BRAVE. I have picked up and held the CARS 2 set, currently priced at $19.99 at BB, but have twice put it back. Do I really want this? I dunno. Do you who own this edition feel it is worth that price? Is the 3-D decent? Does the story make even a fraction of the emotional connection that has made prior Pixar films so terrific? It looks to me like the studios's single big (and so far only) huge misstep.

#2 of 4 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,832 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 23 2012 - 02:23 PM

From what I understand, the Cars toys sell in the billions of dollars, and the CarsLand in Disneyland has increased attendance at California Adventure by triple digit percentages.

So the film accomplished at least the goal of keeping those characters front and center while these ancillary projects gained traction.

As for the film on 3D Blu-ray, I reviewed it here. I wasn't wowed by the 3D and the film certainly didn't thrill me either though no Pixar film in my opinion is flat out bad - just disappointing in comparison to what has come before.

#3 of 4 Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 238 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted November 24 2012 - 03:37 AM

It's the one Pixar film I have no interest in seeing, so for me, it wouldn't be worth the $20 in 3D, 2D, previz stage, or as a twinkle in Lasseter's eye. I'd rather use that towards Finding Nemo on Blu-Ray 3D in December.

#4 of 4 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 05:56 AM

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users