Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

~$1000 sound system for HTPC

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 of 31 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,478 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:06 PM

ML is one of the best speaker manufacturers. Period. I own/have owned...* denotes current BIC V * Wharfedale Mk II Polk S * DCM * Infinity Crescendo * Infinity Kappa Dahlquist Synergistic * STR AAL Heathkit Advent Loudspeaker Polk MiniMonitor * Panasonic Thruster JBL XX00 Apogee Centaur Magnepan SMG * BIC TPR OHM Walsh Yamaha The only reason I haven't owned ML is because of Maggie and Apogee.

#22 of 31 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:19 PM

What would be the correct way to do it? [edit]: From the speaker set's manual: I'm assuming that's what you mean?

Not exactly. They were describing the procedure to set the subwoofers volume to match the volume of the satellite speakers, which your receiver will do a very good job of by itself with it's Audyssey automatic setup and room correction. It's the crossover setting, which can be re-adjusted manually after running Audyssey, that is usually set too low sending too much of the deep bass notes to the smaller satellites. And as Sam said, ML is one of the better brands, but most people who own them have their large floor standing speakers. I think ML released the 5.1 package because everyone else had one. At the $1000 retail price there are many other possibly better option. On sale for $600-$700 they would be a decent alternative to Definitive Technolgy's Pro Cinema 600/800 among others. At $199 they're a real steal. But most members of these types of forums who spend $700-$1000 on them have larger speakers. And there are so many different speaker brands to choose from it would be real coincidence for someone else to have that particular ML set.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#23 of 31 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,478 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:20 PM

Brands I've yet to own. Mainly cause I never, and will never, buy new speakers... Mordaunt Short Revel ML Boston Acoutstics Pinnacle Klipsch Mirage Jamo NHT MB Quart SVS Axiom Sony Pioneer Dayton Bose(there is a very short list from them I'd even consider) Definitive Technology Cerwin Vega Canton Totem KEF (been close several times to owning some of theirs) Dali (I'd give my left ball for a pair) Atlantic Technology Is your head spinning yet?

#24 of 31 OFFLINE   Force Flow

Force Flow

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:59 PM

I think I've only heard of about a third of all the manufacturers you listed. That's why I posted here--my head was already swimming :eek: Ok, I guess I'll go ahead and snap up the ML speakers, one of the Onkyo receivers, and the stands. Is there a particular gauge of bare speaker cable I should get to make sure that it will fit through/on the terminal posts? Any other final thoughts?

#25 of 31 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted November 24 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'm still a little dizzy from "Heathkit". I've had 7 on your "not yet" list. But only two on the "own/have owned" list.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#26 of 31 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted November 24 2012 - 03:14 PM

Ok, I guess I'll go ahead and snap up the ML speakers, one of the Onkyo receivers, and the stands. Is there a particular gauge of bare speaker cable I should get to make sure that it will fit through/on the terminal posts? Any other final thoughts?

I like to use 12 gauge but 14 or 16 should be fine. If you're going to run the wire in the walls or under the floor then get CL-2 or CL-3 rated wire to satisfy local fire codes. Don't spend too much on cables/wires. We get ours from partsexpress.com, monoprice.com and bluejeancables.com but amazon and even Home Depot are good places as well. Avoid the monster type cables. Mostly marketing, legal dept and profit. Get a good surge protector for your receiver, etc and one for your subwoofer. make sure evrything is in the OFF position when making connections and plugging things in, including the surg protectors. Banana plugs on the speaker ends are nice to have, especially for the receiver end, but bare wire is O.K. Look closely at the features of the different Onkyo receivers to make sure you get what you need but don't pay for what you won't use. http://www.onkyousa....?class=Receiver Use the "Compare" feature.

#27 of 31 OFFLINE   Force Flow

Force Flow

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'll just be running the wires along the floor within the room. No in-wall installation. Will this do? http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B003ZX8N44/ Or this? http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

#28 of 31 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,478 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 03:34 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot... I got a pair of EV in the garage...slumming it along with an old LaFayette... The pre-amp running the LaFayette tube is a Mitsubishi VCR with level controls...that one day, by accident, I discovered actually lowered the volume on the outputs. Have a CD player and tuner connected to the front and rear inputs. Video...not even connected.

#29 of 31 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:32 PM

I'll just be running the wires along the floor within the room. No in-wall installation. Will this do? http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B003ZX8N44/ Or this? http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

I'd go with the Monoprice. The insulation on the Pyle looks kind of thin.

#30 of 31 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,478 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 04:44 PM

I like even cheaper than Monoprice... http://www.lowes.com...wire&facetInfo= Wire is wire. If it can handle being ran 200ft in a wall, and run your hair dryer at 1500 watts... It will handle 20 watts of audio over 25 ft.

#31 of 31 OFFLINE   Force Flow

Force Flow

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 05:39 PM

Ok, thanks guys :) I appreciate your time and advice I'll make a quick dash down to the hardware stores for a price comparison the wire. Everything else is on order. I'll post back when everything is in and up and running :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users