What's new

~$1000 sound system for HTPC (1 Viewer)

Force Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Force Flow
I was looking to spend up to $1000 on a 5.1 sound system.
  • The room is about 13'x15'.
  • The TV is an LG 55LK520. It accepts HDMI input and also has a TOSLINK ouput.
  • Everything (music/movies/blu-ray/internet) is running from a computer with HDMI output. This HDMI output feeds both audio and video.
  • Frequency range is somewhat important. A low range of 30hz-40hz would be fine, but 80hz sounds "empty" to me.
Any suggestions?

Force Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Force Flow
The computer is the only source device. There is no cable box.
Is a receiver even necessary in that case?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Technically, a "receiver" is never required. You could just buy powered speakers with a pre-amp...
What audio connection does the computer have? HDMI, toslink, 6 channel...what?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok then, now we are getting somewhere...had to stop and finish watching football...then watch Revanche last night(great movie)...
Anyway. If all you have is HDMI from the computer...then the "easy method"(especially considering the budget) is an AVR. Yes an AVR does more than you need...but...
Do you care about 3D?
If not, buy a used AVR with 2 HDMI on it...(5-7 year old "2 HDMI only AVR" are being sold off as people need more HDMI....)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-TX-SR605-Receiver-/221154569695?pt=US_DVRs_Hard_Drive_Recorders&hash=item337dd6eddf (just an example)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONKYO-TX-SR604-7-1-channel-A-V-receiver-HDMI-/221154522412?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item337dd6352c (if you don't have lossless audio, if this stays less expensive than the 605...buy it instead)
Now if you care about 3D...or simply "want more"...then we need to know more.
Edit:
On the used market, I almost always default to Onkyo/Integra....
1. Extremely plentiful(they've been the market leader for 8 years running)
2. Model numbers are the easiest to figure out

Force Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Force Flow
I found a Denon AVR-1312 for $180. Would that be a better option?
If the budget is limiting, would a HTiB be a better option?
[edit]: I don't plan on watching any 3D movies, so I don't think that will be an issue. If you mean 3D audio, I can't say that I really have much that will take advantage of it. So, I don't particularly care either way.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Onkyo 604/5 is a more powerful AVR. It also has HDMI upconversion(in case you ever connect a Wii eventually).
There is no way I'd buy a 1312 at $180 over the Onkyo 605 at the same money.
3D refers to video. Why buy the 1312 for $180 when you gain 3D(which you don't even care for) and lose everything else the 605 brings to the table. Namely the fact that you can resell it in the future for the same price you paid for it. Buy the 1312 and it will be a paperweight in 4 years cause nobody will want it.

Force Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Force Flow
Ok, makes sense.
What speakers would you recommend? I was looking for something somewhat small in size.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Newegg.com has a real good sale today. Also look at their receivers http://www.newegg.com/Receivers/SubCategory/ID-488?cm_sp=HomeAudiocat31-_-VisNav-_-Receivers
Definitive Technology Pro 600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325104
Martin Logan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981013
Energy Take http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269004 But you need to buy a seperate subwoofer

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Even though I don't like tiny speakers...
That ML set for $280 is pretty darn good.
My choice here...
Onkyo 604/605 for $100+ shipping (that 605 didn't sell. It is re-listed and if it doesn't sell this time, I'll buy it as a Christmas gift for somebody in the family)
ML $280
$380, and you'll have a HT that nobody can offer advise on how to do better....for less than $400.

Force Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Force Flow
Would a new Onkyo TX-NR616 work? I am a bit hesitant about used electronics online, as I have been burned in the past.
If I get the ML set, what about two floor stands for the rear speakers? Is there something generic/universal that would work, or is there something more specific that would be needed? I don't have a spot to mount them using wall mounts (especially since one wall is a sliding glass door).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
mccambley said:
But he was willing to spend $1000, so can you do twice as good for $600 more.
I'm not going to dispute that either :blush: but that's a $1000 set (retail) and I can't help but sniff out a bargain. I also figured the 605 wouldn't work (for him anyway) and a more expensive receiver was on the way.
Force Flow said:
Would a new Onkyo TX-NR616 work? I am a bit hesitant about used electronics online, as I have been burned in the past.
If I get the ML set, what about two floor stands for the rear speakers? Is there something generic/universal that would work, or is there something more specific that would be needed? I don't have a spot to mount them using wall mounts (especially since one wall is a sliding glass door).
Tiny satellites in the front and towers in the back? Unusual concept but....
I would stick with the tiny satellites in back and put them on small speaker stands designed for those type of speakers if wall mounting isn't an option.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm glad one more person is out the "used pool"...keep driving demand down on the ultimate bargains...
BTW, I have a DTR 5.8(the "twin" to the 605) collecting dust in a closet. It will probably be gifted to somebody this year. Used AV gear(as long it is quality stuff) is always a good gift.
Speaking of which. I gave a nephew a Burberry dress shirt and slacks that I found at a re-sale shop for $10 total. Think he cared where they came from?

Force Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Force Flow
gene c said:
I would stick with the tiny satellites in back and put them on small speaker stands designed for those type of speakers if wall mounting isn't an option.
How will I know what is compatible and what isn't? ML didn't appear to have any listed on their website.
schan1269 said:
I'm glad one more person is out the "used pool"...keep driving demand down on the ultimate bargains...
BTW, I have a DTR 5.8(the "twin" to the 605) collecting dust in a closet. It will probably be gifted to somebody this year. Used AV gear(as long it is quality stuff) is always a good gift.
Speaking of which. I gave a nephew a Burberry dress shirt and slacks that I found at a re-sale shop for $10 total. Think he cared where they came from?
I am a fairly avid garage saler, so yes, I do like a good bargain. But like I said, I haven't had much luck with used electronics. I will certainly consider what you suggested--I just wanted to know if the TX-NR616 would be a viable/solid unit if I happened to go down that road.
I noticed that the TX-SR605 was 90W @ 8ohm per channel and the ML speakers had a peak of 100W @ 8ohms. Is that mismatch going to be a problem?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaker stands...
You'd have to buy the speakers first. I doubt anybody on this forum has that specific speaker set. 99% of speaker stands either hold the speaker by bolting into the rear of the speaker(just like a wall mount) or the speaker just sits on it...like it would a table, a shelf or the floor.
Speaker and AVR wattage ratings are useless. You care about ohm load and efficiency. That is it.
The ML set is 8ohm. Every single AVR/receiver/amp made since 1905 will work.
The ML set is also 88(center is 89) db efficient. One of the most efficient tiny speakers out there. Most speakers this size are 85db and under.
And here you go. Download the manual...
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/mlt2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Reading some reviews, apparently the sats. have a keyhole for hanging them. So speaker stands with a screw to hang the speaker from will work.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Force Flow said:
How will I know what is compatible and what isn't? ML didn't appear to have any listed on their website.
Most universal speaker stands would work, Just check the size of the mounting plate and the weight capacity. Something like this should work fine. And you can hide the wires inside the stands. http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SS-SAT-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B0002ZPKDA/ref=sr_1_22?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1353811212&sr=1-22 Partsexpress sells them for $39/pr. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=240-762
BTW, I make my own from wood bought at Home Depot.
Don't worry about receiver and speaker wattage ratings. Most important is making sure the crossover is set correctly and not set too low which is what these automatic setup features like to do.

Force Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Force Flow
gene c said:
Most important is making sure the crossover is set correctly and not set too low which is what these automatic setup features like to do.
What would be the correct way to do it?
[edit]: From the speaker set's manual:
1. Turn the Low Pass Filter (Hz) Control to the middle of the “Normal” range.
2. Slowly rotate the Level Control until you match the subwoofer output level with the
level of your speakers. Bass should be clearly audible but not intrusive.
3. If the sound is too “thin” set the Low Pass Filter Control higher than the “Normal”
range; if the sound becomes “boomy” set the Low Pass Filter Control lower than
the normal range.
4. If the bass sounds weak or “dislocated” you may have a phase alignment problem.
Your MLT-2 subwoofer has a Phase Switch which is normally set to the 0° position.
Switch it to the 180° position—this will switch the phase of the subwoofer by 180°
relative to your speakers. Listen to determine if you hear more bass. If you don’t hear
more bass, return the Phase Switch to its original position and then experiment with
subwoofer placement to find an area of the room where there is less bass cancellation
I'm assuming that's what you mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks