What's new

Cannot setup channels in WinTV (1 Viewer)

res31

Auditioning
Real Name
ray
I upgraded Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1800 software to version 7.2 in a new Windows 7-64 system. TV works through Windows Media Centre with much improved video quality over my old version 3, but two or three of the channels have no sound - including, of course, channel 5, which is the one I want to watch most often....
I cannot access TV through the WinTV window. The Device Setup Wizard scans the Digital QAM channels but no channels appear on the channel list. I am baffled.
...ray

res31

Auditioning
Real Name
ray
Thanks. However I don't know where to find the fields that you show (blue screenshots) to add channels manually. The website that you link to won't accept my Canadian postal code . I think I may just be out of luck....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by res31 /t/325407/cannot-setup-channels-in-wintv#post_4007421
Thanks. However I don't know where to find the fields that you show (blue screenshots) to add channels manually. The website that you link to won't accept my Canadian postal code . I think I may just be out of luck....

Inside of media center, choose settings from the main menu, then guide, then "add mising channels".
If you don't see it this way or in Silicon Dusts' system, you can find several apps (one comes with the 1800) that will scan your card for it's QAM channels. You'll just have to check them to see what they are and enter.

Good luck.

res31

Auditioning
Real Name
ray
Thanks again, Matt. However, I think I'm fumbling around in the wrong place. I've been trying to setup channels in WinTV to see if that would correct my problem with sound in Media Centre. The setup wizard in WinTV doesn't do anything.
[ATTACHMENT=423]TV scan.jpg (37k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
The Guide in Media Centre is good, no channels are missing. BUT a few channels have no sound output - of course the channels I want to watch - and I have no clue to where to look.
For example, when I switch to CH 5 there is a momentary few milliseconds of sound output then it goes silent.
My previous version of WinTV (v3) worked just fine in my old computer, (using the same TV board) with sound on all channels - but after I moved to a new computer, online recorded TV was soundless. I upgraded to V7 and this is the result - a much improved picture but has this sound problem and still no recorded sound........
Online TV in Media Centre clearly isn't functioning well - despite the good pictures and sound on some channels it tends to stick on channels and often doesn't seem to want to change.
It's frustrating....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Nothing you do at all in WinTV will have any impact at all on Media Center, period. Outside of Identify the QAM call #s (like 116-1 etc.) which you will need to manually enter into media center.

res31

Auditioning
Real Name
ray
Then WinTV does nothing for me. I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.... The sound problem is related to Media Centre or somewhere up the line. OK, thanks for trying to help.

res31

Auditioning
Real Name
ray
I formerly received all channels well in Media Centre, and was able to record and replay TV sessions. I recently switched to a new computer. I found that recorded TV then played as before but without sound and I was unable to correct that. I then upgraded WinTV from my old version 3 to v7. That improved the picture quality, but now some channels play without sound. Actually when I switch to them I hear a few milliseconds burst of audio then it goes silent.
Surprisingly, earlier tonight my favourite channel - CH5 - which has been soundless - when I tried it, played with sound, but it is now back to silence once again.... so I'm still baffled.
Not sure what you mean by remote support. I'd welcome help but there doesn't seem to be a clear and unambiguous problem....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I mean something like Join.Me (http://join.me )

If you're up for it, I would have no problem providing you remote support and fixing your issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks