What's new

Blu-ray Archives vs. regular WB Blu-ray releases... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am sure WB has big pow-wow's to decide what gets released and when, and now the discussion is a bit further complicated by choices regarding whether to offer Blu-rays commercially or through the Archives as MOD's. A daunting task, although, as both are in the control of the same company, they could move an Archive title to a commercial one or vice-versa at will.
But I am hoping WB will now consider releasing titles we have been asking about for years. I immediately think of WATERSHIP DOWN. It seems to me I read in a HTF chat with Mr. Feltenstein that this title was under consideration, pending the sales outcome of the Bakshi LORD OF THE THE RINGS. I never saw the sales figures regarding the latter, but evidently they were not enough up to snuff to warrant a WATERSHIP DOWN release. But, now, with the Archives gearing up for Blu-ray, perhaps that title will finally surface. A beautiful movie.
Perhaps even such fan faves as the 9-title Val Lewton series could move to Blu, assuming that, with the Archive Blus as with its DVD's, there will be no restoration or even major clean-up involved, but the increased res could (or might not) make for a much-improved release.
THE BEAST WITH 5 FINGERS, please? THE SEA WOLF? Every member on this forum will have suggestions from their wish lists.
None of the above would probably be viable commercially these days, but as MOD's, what could go wrong?
I wish to thank this forward-looking company for being the first to introduce Blu MOD's, but we all could have predicted it. With Blu-ray sales way up this year (although I am not sure how classic titles fit into that proportionally), we might expect other studios to follow suit.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Dick said:
. . . assuming that, with the Archive Blus as with its DVD's, there will be no restoration or even major clean-up involved, but the increased res could (or might not) make for a much-improved release.
THE BEAST WITH 5 FINGERS, please? THE SEA WOLF? Every member on this forum will have suggestions from their wish lists.
None of the above would probably be viable commercially these days, but as MOD's, what could go wrong?
You seem to be overlooking a crucial fact. Many of the films controlled by Warners but not yet released need very much to be restored before they are fit for release on disc. Red Dust is a recent example. My particular obsession, The Mask of Dimitrios, has been withheld because the elements are in such poor condition. What could go wrong would be Warners releasing on BRD material not good enough even for standard definition.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is why I love the HTF. We can express our opinions with little fear of being ridiculed for our opinions and suggestions (unlike on other sites, where moderators do not seem to care much about anyone's personal feelings), and even engage in discussion with Hollywood insiders. Having been a Super 8mm & 16mm filmmaker in the 1960's & 1970's, I thought I knew a fair amount about filmmaking. HTF has proven to me that I knew next to nothing, but also that other members were courteous and tolerant answering my questions. That is why I stick to this site as opposed to, say, DVD Talk and other forums.
I say all this because of Robin's response to my comments about the Warner Archive program. He could have been nasty and/or condescending when answering my post, but instead was pleasant/indulgent and helpful. That is why I access this site several times daily, and appreciate the effort the moderators here have done to keep this a civil forum, which draws in delightful participants such as Robert Harris and Bruce Kimmel, with whom I might not always agreee, but can feel pretty safe about asking questions of or responding to.
Just a sort of general Thank You for keeping me engaged, HTF!

L

Larry-Bender

Warner--How about-RYANS DAUGHTER----THE GREAT RACE-----LOCAL HERO-----MICHAEL COLLINS---WIND AND THE LION.. Thank you for GYPSY and FEARLESS!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= #000000]Both "Gypsy" and "Deathrap" have the following disclaimer:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #660000]Important: This title has been manufactured from the best-quality video master currently available and has not been remastered or restored for this DVD/Digital Download release.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]Does this mean the transfers won't have the extra quality given a regular WB Blu-ray release?[/COLOR]

GMpasqua said:
Both "Gypsy" and "Deathrap" have the following disclaimer:
Important: This title has been manufactured from the best-quality video master currently available and has not been remastered or restored for this DVD/Digital Download release.
Does this mean the transfers won't have the extra quality given a regular WB Blu-ray release?

From Lou Lumenick's column quoting George Feltenstein, "The transfer for the celebrated musical "Gypsy,'' which I haven't yet seen, is derived from the high-definition master created for the film's 2009 reissue, "but you need to do additional cleanup for Blu-ray for the kind of really pristine experience that consumers have some to expect. We're very excited about the part that 'Gypsy' is on a B-50 [disc] with a high bit rate...we really wanted to take the high road.''
Read more: L:umenick Talks to George Feltenstein As Warner Archive Collection Launches First MOD Blu-Ray Line http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_warner_archive_collection_aI3arVytKg8JTkEk8BGo0M#ixzz2D63JnLQK

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
GMpasqua said:
Both "Gypsy" and "Deathrap" have the following disclaimer:
Important: This title has been manufactured from the best-quality video master currently available and has not been remastered or restored for this DVD/Digital Download release.
Does this mean the transfers won't have the extra quality given a regular WB Blu-ray release?

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks