What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Executive Decision -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stuart Baird's 1996 Executive Decision is one of those thrillers which have terrorists taking control of a large aircraft, with plans to do something will make them appear macho to their friends, and concurrently do harm to civilians.

This is a mid-level affair, with enough decent scenes to keep one's attention, even if the plot seems to come and go at times. Kurt Russell and Halle Berry do what they can to make things work, and Steven Seagal is along for the ride (I generally don't watch his films) for a short enough period, making a Marion Crane-like appearance.

The film works enough to make it enjoyable at times. Model work, especially near the end, turns a bit iffy, but in the cusp of a pre-CGI world, you can't have everything.

For those of you who fly, there's a message here. If an airline has the word Oceanic anywhere in its name, don't fly it.

As to the Blu-ray, it's a very nice image harvest. Quality resolution, colors look accurate, with proper shadow detail. No sign of improper digital handling. Audio is DTS-HD MA 5.1.

A fun flight, and Recommended for what it is.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Unfortunately it's the "politically correct" edited version.
http://www.containsmoderateperil.com/executive-decision-1996-%E2%80%93-us-blu-ray-release-is-re-edited-version/

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Michel_Hafner /t/325358/a-few-words-about-executive-decision-in-blu-ray#post_4004004
Unfortunately it's the "politically correct" edited version.
http://www.containsmoderateperil.com/executive-decision-1996-%E2%80%93-us-blu-ray-release-is-re-edited-version/
I have no problem with the cuts. There is no real impact upon the film, and the deletions help to avoid possibilities of offending people's religious beliefs. Possibly they should not have been a part of the film, which is entertainment, and not a study of religion, in the first place.

The disc jacket states "This R-Rated version contains material different from the original R-Rated version."

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have the original DVD release. I assume this one is the original theatrical version. I guess I should give that version a spin before deciding if there's anything there I can't live without. I can't imagine that would be true.

Robert Harris said:
I have no problem with the cuts.  There is no real impact upon the film, and the deletions help to avoid possibilities of offending people's religious beliefs.  Possibly they should not have been a part of the film, which is entertainment, and not a study of religion, in the first place.
The disc jacket states "This R-Rated version contains material different from the original R-Rated version."
RAH
No offence intended but I have a real problem with censorship in this way. It's just wrong.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
NOT said:
"It also seems illogical to remove one element that could be perceived as offensive, from a film whose very premise may be just as equally so. Exactly who are these cuts supposed to appease?"

"However, a more worrying matter is whether a precedence has now been set".

"[...] the illogical mindset that exists behind this decision is still cause for concern".
Free speech is free speech. The erosion of this fundamental right is immense cause for concern. Whether it's "only" some minor cuts in a 90's action film, or more obvious intrusions on our everyday lives.

I wholeheartedly condemn this decision, and will not be buying this disc as a result. I sincerely hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

It does seem to me to be a politicically motivated decision to cut this film. As Robert Harris stated its entertainment. It should have been left to stand as it was made. Should Birth of a Nation be similarly censored? Where does it end?
Why take a stance in this manner. What is Warner trying to say. We are sorry that we made a film the suggests there are terrorists that use religious beliefs to justify atrocities?
It's a sad reality that there are. What smacks as pandering is the knowledge that if he was reading the bible in this film the cuts wouldn't be made.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Charles Maesschalck /t/325358/a-few-words-about-executive-decision-in-blu-ray#post_4004126
Why take a stance in this manner. What is Warner trying to say. We are sorry that we made a film the suggests there are terrorists that use religious beliefs to justify atrocities?
It's a sad reality that there are. What smacks as pandering is the knowledge that if he was reading the bible in this film the cuts wouldn't be made.

You've hit the nail squarely on the head. It's pandering like this that has inexorably led to the curtailment of everyone's freedom of speech, in a misguided attempt to placate those who detest it the most.

I guess it was feared there might be another "spontaneous demonstration" if the film came out unedited. :rolleyes:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't believe that these arguments are relevant, as they're all based upon logic.

With logic out of the way, this is not a battle worth fighting.

RAH

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Will*B said:
It's pandering like this that has inexorably led to the curtailment of everyone's freedom of speech, in a misguided attempt to placate those who detest it the most.
Huh. Didn't realize that anyone had been imprisoned recently for exercising their right to speak. When did that happen?

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
I'll get it anyway because Baird does a rattling good yarn rattlingly well. If you're interested in the religious aspects of contemporary terrorism, try Paul Berman's Flight of the Intellectuals (a book not a film). Well reasoned and well written. And in the end, Executive Decision is just an entertainment; if they were going to make a point of the religious motivation, a couple of holy books in a few seconds of film was probably not the way to do it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Will*B /t/325358/a-few-words-about-executive-decision-in-blu-ray#post_4004140

You've hit the nail squarely on the head. It's pandering like this that has inexorably led to the curtailment of everyone's freedom of speech, in a misguided attempt to placate those who detest it the most.
There is no such thing as totally "free speech."

I would not suggest that anyone use the word "fire" in a crowded public place, or the words "bomb" or "gun" at an airport, or publicly the discuss one's thoughts regarding assassinations of public officials, even in jest.

Brings about bad karma, and makes people nervous.

"Free speech," within certain limitations, however, is a wonderful thing.

RAH

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
JoshZ said:
/t/325358/a-few-words-about-executive-decision-in-blu-ray#post_4004175
There is no such thing as totally "free speech."

I would not suggest that anyone use the word "fire" in a crowded public place, or the words "bomb" or "gun" at an airport, or publicly the discuss one's thoughts regarding assassinations of public officials, even in jest.

Brings about bad karma, and makes people nervous.

"Free speech," within certain limitations, however, is a wonderful thing.

RAH

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I'd like to revisit this one on blu-ray as I found the film entertaining when I saw it theatrically. Good to see this is a solid release.

The changes as described above seem silly to me, but whatever.

Reminds me of a John Cleese quote I rather agree with:

"There's a good idea at the back of political correctness, but it gets taken ad absurdum...in a sense that's a bit sick, because you're trying to take as the general standard the standard of the people that have the greatest problem controlling their emotions in that area."
John Cleese

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think this will be $4 at BB tomorrow online and Friday in store.
Probably matched by amazon too.
I'll buy it if I can get it.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
the changes made here don't have the impact like the change of the plastic in "the devil's advocate". that change has a bigger impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks