Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Suddenly -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,553 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:13 AM

Lewis Allen's Suddenly (1954) is a low-budget affair, concerning an assassination attempt upon a U.S. President.

It wasn't a great film in 1954, and in the intervening decades, everything about it has begun to creak.  It even has the appearance of an early '50s TV show.

Scanned from a decently clean 35mm fine grain master, the resultant Blu-ray is quite good looking, and sounds fine.

Problem here is one of aspect ratio.  While the Blu-ray exhibits the entire 1.37 frame, spending a few minutes with it, leads me to believe that the proper AR would be 1.66:1 common bottom.  Much of the film simply looks incorrect, with miles of head room in virtually every shot.

Image - 3

Audio - 4

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,585 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:50 AM

Filming commenced 4.12.54 and was composed for 1.75:1. Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:06 AM

Is this for the Film Chest or Image edition? I'm curious about Image's release since it includes Francis Thompson's amazing short film N.Y., N.Y. as an extra.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,553 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick McCart 

Is this for the Film Chest or Image edition? I'm curious about Image's release since it includes Francis Thompson's amazing short film N.Y., N.Y. as an extra.

Image.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,553 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek 

Filming commenced 4.12.54 and was composed for 1.75:1.
Bob

1.75 may work.  1.85 would not, as it would crop too much of the frame bottom.

RAH

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,585 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:41 AM

It was specifically listed as a 1.75:1 film in the trades...

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,553 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek 

It was specifically listed as a 1.75:1 film in the trades...

I tend to take the trades with a grain of salt.

RAH

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted November 21 2012 - 09:54 AM

Image.

In that case, is N.Y., N.Y. in 1080p or upscaled/480p? It's a short that should have turned up on one of the Treasures from American Film Archives sets.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted November 24 2012 - 11:10 PM

First time I have seen the complete frame with rounded corners on a DVD release.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted November 25 2012 - 02:50 AM

Seen it a few times when it was broadcast on TCM and the movie is ok with good performances by Frank Sinatra and Sterling Hayden but too much psychological chat.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 344 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted November 25 2012 - 03:06 AM

I guess if we want it widescreen, we need the Roan DVD. :(

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 04:51 AM

I wish Warner Brothers would release THE NAKED RUNNER (1967), Sinatra's third film about political assassination on blu-ray.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 25 2012 - 06:05 AM

First time I have seen the complete frame with rounded corners on a DVD release.

There are a few out there; last one I bought (Suddenly aside) was Flicker Alley's The Most Dangerous Game.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 12:01 PM

While the Blu-ray exhibits the entire 1.37 frame, spending a few minutes with it, leads me to believe that the proper AR would be 1.66:1 common bottom. RAH

Robert, doesn't 'common bottom' imply that you would only matte the top picture area down to 1.75, without cropping the bottom at all? I have experienced transfers that require this procedure, rather than centrally matting which to me doesn't always work.
Steve Pickard

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,553 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen PI 

Robert, doesn't 'common bottom' imply that you would only matte the top picture area down to 1.75, without cropping the bottom at all? I have experienced transfers that require this procedure, rather than centrally matting which to me doesn't always work.

Can be set up in many ways.  Common top, bottom, or center.  Have no idea if prints were masked or open matte.

RAH

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted November 28 2012 - 06:29 PM

Here's a quick Photoshop comparison of the two ARs, from a screencap chosen at random off the Beaver's page. I'm not very good at drawing lines in Photoshop, so this is just a kludged together thing. I'm also assuming that the very bottom of the frame wouldn't be used by the projectionist (too close to the frame line) so I've moved the 1.66 bottom line up a little bit. For me the truly mind-boggling thing is that Image transferred it in open matte in the first place. If it's black and white, it must be square, seems to be thought, like, if it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users