Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS -- blu-ray restoration

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 of 52 retzev

retzev

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 06:37 AM

I've followed Darren Gross's NoDS restoration work with great interest for the better part of 10 yrs. In 2002, when I began buying the 4-disc MPI sets, I immediately took an interest in NoDS, but decided not to watch it until the restoration of the 129 minute cut was complete, and it was given the proper release it deserves. I was rooting for the DS pilot rejected by WB in 2004, primarily because I believed we'd finally see the finishing touches on Gross's work. I was excited about the Burton/Depp film for exactly, and only, the same reason: I want NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS properly restored and released.  I'm deeply disappointed by WB's treatment of the title, and by extension, it's fans. I'm thankful that we have been given a visually superior version of the inferior 94 minute cut. I bought it and watch it, but it's a bittersweet treat. It's incomplete, carelessly released, and only increases one's longing for 129 minute cut. DS fans are a resilient lot. We've been asking for the completion of this restoration for more than a decade. I will not give up hope that WB will someday produce a NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS release that they can be proud of, one that fans can buy and buy again without feeling frustrated and deeply slighted.   

#42 of 52 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,897 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 04:13 PM

Well, everyone, you might wish to take SUPERMAN 2 as an example here: For many years, fans demanded of Warner Bros. that the original Richard Donner cut be made available. And, for many years, they adamently refused. But it happened, didn't it? There has to be some solidarity among fans, including letter-writing (yes, actual physical letters) campaigns, forum postings such as there are here, phone calls, whatever. Just a thought.

#43 of 52 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,448 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 02:19 AM

I am currently in the 12th Volume of the original series.  I've never seen either film.  I do find it interesting that MPI has released several episodes with disclaimers regarding the technical deficiencies of the episodes and fans have no qualms about that.  They want the ENTIRE show on DVD.  Yet this movie seems to just get dumped "as is" with no regard for the fans.  Very sad....

#44 of 52 retzev

retzev

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 03:09 PM

Indeed. And especially considering most of the work is already done. I don't understand why WB wouldn't take an extra step or two. I've heard they usually aren't ones to license their titles to boutique labels, either. Hopefully this might change. Twighlight Time, Synapse, Blue Underground, Scream Factory, hell, Criterion, there are so many great labels could really do a number with this.

#45 of 52 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 12:26 AM

I wonder if perhaps this project could be completed under the auspices of Warner Archive? I know they don't have the budget of WHV proper, but they have been doing some wonderful quiet restoration work on their own, such as liberating THE PHYNX from oblivion, which required a lot of music clearance and research as to what the "final" cut of the movie had even been. Maybe if sales of the exising DS DVDs and Blu-Rays are respectable enough, they'd allow WA to put out Darren's restorations as a niche item.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#46 of 52 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,448 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 03:30 AM

Has any station broadcast these (HODS/NODS) in recent years?  I've never seen either...

#47 of 52 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 05:34 AM

Yes, TCM.

#48 of 52 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,448 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thanks!  I will probably end up just blind buying HODS, but I'm not sure about NODS.

#49 of 52 retzev

retzev

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 05:50 PM

See if you can get your hands on the screenplay for NoDS (It's available, along with the HoDS screenplay, in The Dark Shadows Movie Book edited by Darren Gross) and give it a read-through before watching the film. Beautiful stuff. And a terrible loss if Darren's the only one who ever gets to see it!

#50 of 52 Dave MJ

Dave MJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 05:20 PM

Are there any updates or new developments regarding this? Or is it completely dead in the water?

#51 of 52 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,016 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted September 01 2013 - 10:02 PM

It's dead.  Dead as disco.  If it had any hope at all, it would have happened to coincide with the Burton film and the release of the original films on dvd and blu last year. 

#52 of 52 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 02:45 AM

It's dead.

Warner Brothers has the rights, but George Feltenstein turned his back on the restoration of both films. He refuses to respond to either the professionals or the fans. He won't even acknowledge the public's interest. He's just not interested.

The current NIGHT blu-ray is riddled with jump cuts, missing frames, audio drop-outs, out of sync music, and overlapping dialog from cut footage, problems the VHS and laser disc releases didn't have. Feltenstein won't admit to making these mistakes, either.

Edited by Richard--W, September 02 2013 - 02:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users