What's new

Building the HT around the new sub HSU VTF-15H - which main speakers?! (1 Viewer)

Kevin81

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hello everyone,
I am looking forward on learning a lot here and receiving a lot of benefecial information ...
Recently I ordered the HSU 15H sub and I can't wait to receive it - really! Once here, I am very certain that my existing "system" is not going to keep up with the beast and therefore, I am looking for an nice addition.
So, today my lady and I went to the two (for me) only known places and listened to two speaker brands: Polk TSi400 and Klipsch RF-62.
For the two of us, the Polk did sound much better more natural and homogeneous ... but yet I would want the TSi500.
Trying to match the new front for the time being with
- the HSU VTF-15H
- the Onkyo receiver
- within a room of 17 feet x 17 feet
I would like to know what possible other speaker options should be considered which you guys would recommend. I am very well aware that a new receiver needs to be the next step, but for the time being the new beauties need to get along with the Onkyo HT-RC160.
Thank you very much for any additional insight!
Kevin

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since when is the RC160/SR607 not enough AVR for speakers?
What is your budget for speakers? Cause you could go a full complement of Klipschorn if you got $20,000 burning a hole in your pocket.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am very certain that my existing "system" is not going to keep up with the beast
That's a calibration problem. There are guys running eight 18's in their room and use decent speakers. It's all about headroom on the sub. If you are happy with your current speakers, at least give them a try with the new sub.
And Sam is spot on with the budget question. I normally suggest a set of 5 Egglestons to people who don't post budgets. That will run you approximately $250,000.

Kevin81

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Lesson learnt: mentioning the budget, sorry.
I would be looking at approx. $1,500 in total for the two main speakers & the center; the rears are in-wall and I don't want to change them yet.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
With $1500 to spend on fronts and a center you can do a lot better than the Polk TSi series. Speakers are a very personal choice and for entry level speakers I just recommend what I think are the best value, but at your budget recommending a specific brand is almost irresponsible (but I've done it before anyway :blush: ). Internet direct companies like Axiom.com AcsendAcoustics.com AperionAudio.com and Swan from AudioInsider.com can usually offer more for the money than retail stores.
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php?loudspeakers=swan-diva&cPath=21_22&osCsid=440d486bfb93fb22f68ba89431909f23
Others to consider are PSB, Mourdant-Short, Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics and Polks RTAi series and so many more that I can't remember them all .
I'd also look for a Paradigm dealer near you.
Polk has also lowered the preice on the LSi15's to $799 shipped on their Ebay store. Great deal for an excellent speaker (in Cherry they're gorgeous!), but good luck finding the dis-continued LSiC center speaker.

Kevin81

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks a lot, Gene!
I will definitely take a look at some of these for me new names ;)
Another question: how would you see this comparison?
**link removed as this is a "spam site"*
Thank you!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Frankly, that list is almost useless. The speaker manufacturers/series that I think you should have on your short list:
Axiom Epic series
Paradigm Monitor 11/ or even Studios
Aperion Verus
Ascend Acoustics - Sierra
PSB Synchrony
RBH Sound - Signature Series
Emotiva - X-Ref
The list is long - but let's start there. Are you aware of your listening preferences?
  • What kind of music do you like?
  • Do you prefer a warm, neutral or bright sound?
  • What percentage will be movies, vs music?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Kevin81 said:
Thanks a lot, Gene!
I will definitely take a look at some of these for me new names ;)
Another question: how would you see this comparison?
http://floor-standing-speakers.toptenreviews.com/
Thank you!
Comparison lists are fine, but they are always someone elses lists, just like mine. But I would take the Boston A360's over the TSi500's.
He also stated a $1500 budget. Some of the speakers on David's list are a bit over that amount.

Kevin81

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
David Upton said:
Frankly, that list is almost useless. The speaker manufacturers/series that I think you should have on your short list:
Axiom Epic series
Paradigm Monitor 11/ or even Studios
Aperion Verus
Ascend Acoustics - Sierra
PSB Synchrony
RBH Sound - Signature Series
Emotiva - X-Ref
The list is long - but let's start there. Are you aware of your listening preferences?
  • What kind of music do you like?
  • Do you prefer a warm, neutral or bright sound?
  • What percentage will be movies, vs music?
Thanks for even more options, I will never make a firm decision, I guess :)
Coming back to the main questions:
- Music: sad thing, no real main focus: I listen to house music, black & RnB, rap as well as some good old punk & rock
- Sound profile: rather warm, no bright sounds
- Percentage Music / Movies: 70 / 30 - music is always playing, movies & TV just every other day
I might have another (stupid) basic question: would you guys prefer a 2-way or 3-way system? Or is this smth you can't generally state about?
Thank you!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kevin81 said:
- Music: sad thing, no real main focus: I listen to house music, black & RnB, rap as well as some good old punk & rock
- Percentage Music / Movies: 70 / 30 - music is always playing, movies & TV just every other day
I might have another (stupid) basic question: would you guys prefer a 2-way or 3-way system? Or is this smth you can't generally state about?
Thank you!
A good 2 way speaker can sound much better than an average 3 way speaker. I like my DIY 2 ways due to their less complicated crossover. In short it is personal preference more than anything else.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Kevin81 said:
Thank you!
3-way isn't necessarily better than 2-way. It depends on many things. If 3-way has any advantage it might be with vocal clarity due to the added mid-range driver but again, it depends on the speaker. I've had quite a few different speakers recently, all in the entry to mid-range price area, and three way speakers seemed to have a brighter sounding mid-range than their 2-way counter-parts making vocals sound clearer but maybe a bit harsh at times. I also prefer a softer, warmer mid-range which is why I prefered the 2-way Infinity Beta 20 bookshelf over the 3-way Beta 40 tower. But to confuse things even more, I think a brighter speaker is better for action scenes in movies/tv.
On a side note, it looks like PayPal has a Holiday program where they will help cover the cost of return shipping on most items up to $25 per item and $100 per order if I read the terms correctly. There are many restrictions as you can well imagine, but it might pay for at least 1/2 the return charges of internet-direct purchases. And Aperion Audio will pay for return shipping themselves.
It also looks like the Aperion Audio Forte models just might fit within your budget so appologies to David :blush: . I've heard the Intimus series and would love to try the Forte and Grand series but will have to wait until they hit the used market.

Kevin81

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hello guys,
thanks a lot, I've browsed throuh the items, really nice one's with it!
Aperion Audio Forte series
Great looking speakers, the front & center would match the budget, I just don't know if the "only" 4.5" mid-woofers will do the job properly. And yes, I am unfamiliar with the detail readings the graphs provide, so any further insight would be greatly appreciated!
Ascend Accoustics Sierra
Great looking speaker, but as I would like towers, the Sierra set will be above the budget quite a bit ...
RBH Sound Signature
Is it just me or is it really hard to find any price information online??? :confused: They look nice, but I guess very close or exceeding my budget - guess only at this point.
Emotiva XRT 6.2
They really match the budget and also read pretty good.
Axiom Epic series
Slightly exceeding budget, however, look good and seem to provide really good performance reading some reviews.
PSB Synchrony
Looks & reads great, however exceeding the budget I guess ...
Paradigm Monitor 11
I found this one for $576 online plus $150 shipping ... which is on the high side of my budget, considering I still need a center speaker.
Considering my mentioned share of Movies to Music along with the music I am listening to, is there any narrowing down?
Thank you!

Kevin81

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hello guys,
Great looking speakers, the front & center would match the budget, I just don't know if the "only" 4.5" mid-woofers will do the job properly. And yes, I am unfamiliar with the detail readings the graphs provide, so any further insight would be greatly appreciated!
Ascend Accoustics Sierra
Great looking speaker, but as I would like towers, the Sierra set will be above the budget quite a bit ...
RBH Sound Signature
Is it just me or is it really hard to find any price information online??? :confused: They look nice, but I guess very close or exceeding my budget - guess only at this point.
Emotiva XRT 6.2
Axiom Epic series
Slightly exceeding budget, however, look good and seem to provide really good performance reading some reviews.
PSB Synchrony
Paradigm Monitor 11
I found this one for $576 online plus $150 shipping ... which is on the high side of my budget, considering I still need a center speaker.
Considering my mentioned share of Movies to Music along with the music I am listening to, is there any narrowing down?
Thank you!

Kevin81

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hello guys,
Ascend Accoustics Sierra
RBH Sound Signature
Emotiva XRT 6.2
Axiom Epic series
PSB Synchrony
Paradigm Monitor 11
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks