What's new

Blast from the Past: The 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair! (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So I've been working my way through my mom's old slides and photos, scanning them and cleaning them up, when I found these bad boys in a shoebox under her bed. Some of them, the dyes have faded, leaving a red tint to the slide - I had to turn those black and white - but they still look pretty good for being 50 years old.
I love looking at the people in these old shots! Such a different time, that was!
This one is a blast not because of the city (which is indeed cool), but because there's no guard rail! That girl is just sitting on the edge of oblivion without a lawsuit waiting in the wings!
The last one is my favorite, the couple trying to go their own separate ways.
I've got some more if people want to take a further peek. . . .

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Very nice! And yes, keep them coming. Old slides are the greatest thing to discover and scan, and of course there's something especially compelling about World's Fairs.

Last year, at my urging, my uncle dug around and found a couple dozen slides of family and friends that hadn't seen the light of day since the mid-1960s. They were gorgeous slides, and they also just happened to capture some of the family better than almost any other pictures we'd had. Priceless.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Those are really cool Tony. The question I have is how did they get the shot from ABOVE the space needle? If it's from a plane it is very clear, shooting out a window in a plane is very difficult today, I can't imagine how much worse it would have been in '62...

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Love these! do post more. I agree about the pleasure of finding old slides. My dad's Kodachrome slides are gorgeous.
And I am curious, too: how did your Mom get the shot from above the Space Needle???

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I think the ones that he converted to B&W, including the space needle overhead shot, were bought at the souvenir stands. Those were always a large square format, AND they always turned redder than a mofo. I think every one of those I've come across in recent years has been red.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The Kodachrome ones were probably shot by an amateur (there were a couple of crap ones I didn't really bother with), but yeah, that probably is with the case with the B&W ones. They had very nice lettering on them - and it didn't even click that they might be souvenir slides. I'll have to go double check when I get home to see if there's a brand name on them.
But sure - I'll post more when I get home. I think I've got 30 or 40 in total (and a batch I haven't scanned yet).
***edit***
Yup, I just checked ebay and found a bunch of the same slides (in the same red-ish condition) for sale - plus some I didn't have! I guess my set is only half complete. (:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Haha too cool~ Imagine that, buying slides as a souvenir! What things that we take for granted today will be considered so quaint in 2062!

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And View-Masters. Slides, VMs, 8mm films ..... they were everywhere.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Actually you can still find View Masters slide reels all over the place - well, beyond the Dora and Spongebob branded reels I mean. I find them all the time in national parks and roadside attractions like the Trees of Mystery, Wall Drug and Graceland. I've been collecting them in my travels over the last 3 or 4 years now - still pretty cool, despite being ancient technology.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Here you guys go - batch two of the Worlds Fair. You can just see Elvis wandering around the fairgrounds!
The ones of the science center aren't all that interesting, since the building has changed very little in the last 50 years. There's some interactive exhibits in the courtyard, but if I took a picture from that spot tonight, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
These ones are from the Space Needle, obviously.
This one is pretty cool - but I've always thought the monorails had this lovely ZeeRust look about them. (Trivia of the day: the monorail from The Simpsons episode was based on these guys)
This last one, as near as I can tell, was something called Tommy Bartlett's Water Ski Sky and Stage Show in Memorial Stadium. The white buildings behind them is the Spanish Village - although no actual Spaniards were involved in the exhibit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Very nice, Tony. I scanned some very old family photos my dad discovered after his mother passed away a couple of years ago. It's a lot of fun traveling into the past doing this. Some of his photos were from World War II and earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks