-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

37" that is on par with my laptop screen?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Jd123

Jd123

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:58 AM

I've somewhat recently, in the last few months, purchased a fantastic gaming laptop and have been shown the light when it comes to displays. On a side note, anyone thinking of getting an Alienware M17X-R4... DO IT! You won't regret it for a second! I had been using an old LCD screen for all my needs but that really didn't cut it anymore... I then made a terrible mistake of going for a Samsung UE37ES6710 LED 37" TV that I got for rather cheap off of Amazon. It's almost everything I don't want in a TV, truly beauty over substance. To give you an idea of what problems I had with this TV were: - Standard definition looked worse than it did on my old TV - Yes, I know the TV was a jump in resolution and 5 inches bigger but does that really mean that the picture quality had to drop through the roof? Bands of colour were created from thin air in places that neither show up on the laptop screen nor my old TV, slight flaws were magnified to the point where a few pixels on my laptop screen turned into a small ocean on the TV. I'm not a sage with technology but I'm guessing it's to do with poor software that handles the scaling of the resolution? - White really isn't that white... - Black looks great on the LED TV, just what you would expect! But the White on the other hand is almost a grey when compared to my laptop screen. - Colour isn't that colourful? - Colours look bland, I tried to mess around with the settings and got it as good as it was ever going to get but out of the corner of my eye the laptop screen was sitting there, beautiful and vibrant,,, The TV is missing the depth of colour that the laptop screen can reach. - Lag... - Now I know there will always be a bit of lag, despite it being very small on my old TV, but this made it seem like the audio had been altered to appear a good half a second or so before the talking started. It might be pedantic but it's annoying to hear them talking before they have moved, an explosion before it has happened and all because of a new TV. I did switch to gaming mode, it did turn down all the fancy stuff that I didn't notice making much of a difference but the lag is still there today. I use VLC player when I watch a film and need to delay the audio just so it doesn't annoy me, as well as my friends, when we watch something. - Writing in a film? Looks like it's melting... - Credits at the begging of a film while there was movement would create a visible bleeding. It's not a huge problem but certainly not a positive. The TV didn't look too bad when I was using a 10GB Blu-Ray file or playing games in Ultra settings but it still had all of the above problems that made me feel like it wasn't up to scratch. In addition when being placed beside the laptop screen the difference was so notable that I needed to turn the laptop screen off to try and mask the huge quality difference. Now back to the question, is there a monitor/TV in the 37-40 inch range that could skip all of the above issues? Some other things you might want to know: Information on the Samsung TV Information on the laptop Budget - Around £1000 would be the most I would pay. Please feel free to suggest anything, I can find most things for cheaper given enough time! Thank you in advance for any suggestions, I know it's a first world problem but my viewing experience would be complete with this last piece of the puzzle!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users