-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#41 of 286 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 15 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hopefully, long films will be on dual-layer 50GB discs, unlike when the DVD Archive started with everything on single-layer discs.

#42 of 286 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,199 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 15 2012 - 05:59 AM

Of course I am delighted. It's very surprising that the BDs will be the same price as the DVD-Rs. I'll pay $20 for a BD, but not the $40 Screen Archives charges for its limited-edition titles!

#43 of 286 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,881 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:01 AM

It would be great if some older titles from the 30s-60s also got the Blu-ray treatment as well in the Archive. For some, the HD enhancement will make the films look even better than when they were first released in theaters!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#44 of 286 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,199 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:04 AM

I just noticed on the Warner Archive site that the audio for Gypsy is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0. I hope that's a misprint! The DVD is 5.1.

#45 of 286 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,822 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:05 AM

It would be great if some older titles from the 30s-60s also got the Blu-ray treatment as well in the Archive. For some, the HD enhancement will make the films look even better than when they were first released in theaters!

I agree with you! If you have a chance, please list a few of your most wanted titles from this era....

#46 of 286 Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:36 AM

Great news gents!

#47 of 286 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:40 AM

So these are not MOD but pressed discs?

#48 of 286 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,134 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mark-P 

I just noticed on the Warner Archive site that the audio for Gypsy is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0. I hope that's a misprint! The DVD is 5.1.

Wouldn't the original mix be 2.0 though?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#49 of 286 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,134 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

So these are not MOD but pressed discs?

Yes. "Replicated" means pressed in home video terms (BD-R/DVD-R would use the term "duplicated").

EDIT: Just to re-inforce the point -

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#50 of 286 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,104 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:45 AM

Yes!  This is awesome and wonderful news.  I've not bought any WB archives titles, though I've been tempted, because I expected they would eventually go HD, I'll definitely be buying bluray releases, starting with Hudsucker proxy.

Now if they could just do a restoration/new harvest of Northwest Passage and give us that on bluray as well.

#51 of 286 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,550 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:14 AM

So, how many pre-orders need to be collected before they run off a pressing? Are they pressing exactly how many they need so if you miss it by a day you might have to wait months and months before enough other people order it to warrant a new pressing?

#52 of 286 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:21 AM

Not such great news for those of us outside the U.S. I hope they'll at least make these available on Amazon.

This sounds like an opportunity for someone IN the U.S. to set up a buying service for our friends over seas! Hmmmmm wheels turning....... Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#53 of 286 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,042 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:26 AM

So, how many pre-orders need to be collected before they run off a pressing? Are they pressing exactly how many they need so if you miss it by a day you might have to wait months and months before enough other people order it to warrant a new pressing?

The first ones don't ship for about a month so I guess they'll make them in a few weeks and they'll Know how many to make. Also they will probably just make a thousand or so initially for the first shipments that go out.
facebook.com/whotony

#54 of 286 Guest_Larry-Bender_*

Guest_Larry-Bender_*

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:12 AM

OK Warner- Bring on THE GREAT RACE----LOCAL HERO--- MICHAEL COLLINS--HEAVEN AND EARTH.--WIND AND THE LION.---RYANS DAUGHTER.

#55 of 286 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:21 AM

Pre-ordered both titles. Shipping date is listed as 11/20/12.

#56 of 286 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,528 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:49 AM

EDIT: Also, now that I think about it for a bit, this is basically Warner doing their own Twilight Time style releases with their smaller catalog titles without actually handing the titles over to another label. And they don't have to cap the releases at 3000 if they happen to sell that many.

I agree. Not to mention that the price point makes the WB program the better of the two in regards to the consumer with free shipping (currently) and $10 less. Buying these two is only $5 more than one TT release. Lastly, I imagine future WBShop coupons or sales will work on these titles. The big question is if the original pressing "sells out" will a new limited batch be manufactured to meet demand? And are these closer to retail releases w/ digital restoration/clean-up (Like most TT releases)? Since many of the existing WA titles are just newly remastered w/o digital clean-up or costly restoration work.

#57 of 286 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 15 2012 - 09:02 AM

I hope more Judy Garland titles will be released on blu ray now.

#58 of 286 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,059 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 15 2012 - 09:16 AM

Just pre-ordered Deathtrap.  Posted Image

I can also confirm the updated shipping info of 11-20-12.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#59 of 286 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,576 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted November 15 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hudsucker will definitely be coming my way.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#60 of 286 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 09:49 AM

Good news for film-lovers living in the USA, as you say - not "providing a valuable service to film lovers everywhere" as the press release says. We still can't get WA titles here in the UK direct from Warner Archive!

+1 I would love to own these aswell
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users