Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#261 of 286 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted September 17 2013 - 10:23 AM

Still very quiet isn't it?

#262 of 286 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,536 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:23 PM

Yep, I hear crickets, but that's it.

Sad.

#263 of 286 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 08:34 PM

Abandoned by George and Warners......I'm in mourning for the blu rays of classic films that might have been...:-(

Ken

#264 of 286 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,536 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 18 2013 - 04:26 AM

The program started with such promise: two wonderful entries, one of which had never been on home video in its correct aspect ratio, and both looking smashing on Blu-ray. I had dreams about all the wonderful Warner films which would surely be upcoming. It's just been a very embittering letdown for me.

#265 of 286 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,894 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 04:28 AM

is it because they want users to use archive stream? sadly the way of streaming has priority over discs...

#266 of 286 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,026 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 18 2013 - 09:50 AM

It's because they enjoy torturing you guys. :P

Seriously, though, obviously something threw a wrench in their plan. I don't think it was sales because IIRC there was some indication that the first titles sold very well.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#267 of 286 Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 507 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 10:45 AM

Posted on their Facebook page yesterday; it was in response to a question from a user in the "Recent posts by others" section, not a specific announcement:

WAC has several Blu-ray releases in the works at the moment...

Edited by Paul Penna, September 18 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#268 of 286 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hopefully to include High Society, Gunfight at the OK Corral, The Court Jester, Artists & Models. The top 4 from my VistaVision list.

• dana martin and benbess like this

#269 of 286 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 10:59 AM

Or, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Princess & The Pirate, Wonder Man, The Kid from Brooklyn. The top 4 from my Goldwyn list.

• benbess likes this

#270 of 286 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 11:02 AM

Or, The Narrow Margin, Armored Car Robbery, Roadblock, His Kind of Woman. The top 4 from my Charles McGraw list.

#271 of 286 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 3,774 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 18 2013 - 11:09 AM

I just noticed on the Warner Archive site that the audio for Gypsy is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0. I hope that's a misprint! The DVD is 5.1.

In 1962 i would have thought magnetic 6 track was used for the 70mm showings so that would account for a 5.1 mix ( perhaps ) but anyways if the DVD has 5.1 they should present a 5.1 lossless track and the original 4 track stereo. ( on the disc as 2.0 )

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#272 of 286 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 11:37 AM

A few months ago, they tweeted a picture from Blow up.  That's a title I would go for in a minute.  I have had no interest in any of the titles they have released so far, but I too would like some Goldwyn technicolor.

#273 of 286 Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 03:07 PM

Hopefully to include High Society, Gunfight at the OK Corral, The Court Jester, Artists & Models. The top 4 from my VistaVision list.

The VistaVision titles are definitely overdue for release in 1080p.  I would buy any one of these on Blu-ray.

• JohnRa likes this

#274 of 286 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,439 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 01:46 PM

Looks like Fearless is (finally) right around the corner.

#275 of 286 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,081 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 02:08 PM

A JUMBO (62) Blu-ray is also up for preorder.

#276 of 286 Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted October 07 2013 - 02:54 PM

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video’s film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

Operations in 90 international territories, and yet their Warner Archive won't ship orders outside the U.S! :(

• Robin9 likes this

#277 of 286 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted October 08 2013 - 09:35 AM

Yes it is very annoying as those of us in the UK (and elsewhere) are unable to take advantage of special offers. I import mine using Amazon marketplace sellers and Importcds.

#278 of 286 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,088 posts

Posted October 08 2013 - 09:55 AM

Operations in 90 international territories, and yet their Warner Archive won't ship orders outside the U.S! :(

Legal compliance in 90 territories is incredibly onerous and expensive.

• Moe Dickstein likes this

#279 of 286 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted October 08 2013 - 12:20 PM

Seems a bit doubtful that everyone except for Warner Archive is acting illegally.

#280 of 286 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,088 posts

Posted October 08 2013 - 05:09 PM

nothing about acting illegally, it's more of a CYA situation.  You have to make sure first of all that you have international rights for that title for that territory, considering the jumble of libraries that Warner has possession of, and each library has it's own unique history and exception, and many titles might have international distribution agreements that are shared with other companies, it can get pretty huge pretty quick.  Also, there are copyright issues that vary from territory to territory.  It's a Wonderful Life famously fell out of copyright here in the USA, but the copyright was restored through a music rights loophole, so is a similar music rights loophole going to bite you in the ass in another territory?  Are you sure that the songs for that film are licensed for all territories?  Do have to pay royalties for some things but not others?  What about actors contracts, how and who goes on the advertising or covers for various releases, a lot of this stuff is stipulated and can delay or impair releases and ties up a legal department in compliance issues for ages.  and so on and so forth.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users