Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#241 of 286 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,913 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 10:22 AM

let's hope lossless is included. WB should have learned by now, i have sent in several complaints =P.

also they have yet to replace back-catalog titles with lossless. *sigh*.

#242 of 286 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,873 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 07 2013 - 10:25 AM

I wonder if this delay was related to the additional elements for the 1992 Extended Version. Perhaps they needed to be brought up to snuff for HD.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#243 of 286 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,074 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 07 2013 - 10:43 AM

let's hope lossless is included. WB should have learned by now, i have sent in several complaints =P.

All the WA BDs have had lossless audio.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#244 of 286 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 07 2013 - 12:15 PM

I am a big fan of the Archive and have many DVDs (even though they don't ship directly to the UK) but the blu-ray release schedule is glacial. For example if the HD master for High Society is in good shape why not put the blu-ray out through the Archive?

#245 of 286 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 07 2013 - 12:20 PM

At this point, I'd be willing to buy just about any classic released on Blu-ray through the Warner Archive.

#246 of 286 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 07 2013 - 12:37 PM

Sure since that's only like 3-4 titles a year lol
  • Noach Kowalski likes this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#247 of 286 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 07 2013 - 01:20 PM

I did hope that there would be a few more releases by now, & I don't think I'm alone in that.

#248 of 286 Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 559 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 01:50 PM

I think I've heard that Warner is exploring if Blu-ray and MOD technologies can be combined.  The first two Archive Blu-ray releases were pressed DVDs, but I think that the studio is studying alternatives.

#249 of 286 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 12:48 PM

What about releasing all the excellent film noir on blu-ray through the Archive, starting with The Narrow Margin?

#250 of 286 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 08 2013 - 01:22 PM

I think I've heard that Warner is exploring if Blu-ray and MOD technologies can be combined.  The first two Archive Blu-ray releases were pressed DVDs, but I think that the studio is studying alternatives.

I hope not - I take comfort that their Blu's are at least pressed...

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#251 of 286 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,074 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 08 2013 - 01:28 PM

I did hope that there would be a few more releases by now, & I don't think I'm alone in that.

If their original press release is any indication, Warner also hoped there would by a few more releases by now.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#252 of 286 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted May 08 2013 - 05:09 PM

I wish that Warner, when preparing new titles for their Archive DVD issues, would consider Blu ray issues instead. I would have jumped at the chance to buy their new 'Whoopee!' issue in Blu ray instead of DVD (though I have ordered the DVD through Amazon!)

And I hope that Amazon makes the new Blu ray archive releases available for order since Warner won't ship direct to Australia.....

Meantime, my Blu ray archive wish list includes 'The Last of Sheila' and 'Local Hero', but more significantly, the complete Fred and Ginger oeuvre, and the long-promised but never delivered set of the three versions of 'Show Boat'. Those are just for starters. 'The Boyfriend' would go down a treat too.....

Anyway, despite their restrictive marketing, Warners is to be congratulated for the planned releases. I would think it unlikely that these sort of releases would ever see the light of day if we waited for local release in Australia!

#253 of 286 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 09:13 AM

Quiet isn't it?

I wonder if Warners have anything planned for the second half.

#254 of 286 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 703 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted June 28 2013 - 09:38 AM

Quiet isn't it?

I wonder if Warners have anything planned for the second half.

I asked the WB guy on the Facebook Archive site when they were going to ramp up the BD releases - no response.

#255 of 286 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 28 2013 - 12:39 PM

I have to admit that after we got the marvelous Blu-rays of Gypsy and Deathtrap, I was sure by the end of this year we'd have The Great Race, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, The Time Machine, Victor/Victoria, Wait Until Dark, and a whole lot more.

It's been a great disappointment.

• MatthewA and ahollis like this

#256 of 286 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 01:08 PM

BIG disappointment!!!!  I agree.  I've just about given up!

Ken

#257 of 286 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 28 2013 - 01:51 PM

Maybe they haven't had the sort of "consumer response" they were hoping for.  So far for classic and deep-catalogue releases on Blu, the two biggest labels for this year have been Olive and Fox.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#258 of 286 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,112 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted June 28 2013 - 02:05 PM

Among independent labels Criterion and Twilight Time have been doing a pretty good job of keeping us happy with their reissues...looking forward to their slate of releases for the remainder of the year there!!! :thumbsup:

• Moe Dickstein likes this

#259 of 286 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,466 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 06:44 AM

Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan is now officially instock as of today and ready for shipping.

#260 of 286 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,913 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 06:53 AM

i'm a little lazy and little late to the game. have there been discs released already? and are there lossless audio on them?

also how is the PQ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users