Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

70mm film transfer to bluray using SmileBox simulated curved screen

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,377 posts

Posted November 18 2012 - 11:17 AM

When I first moved to Maine, there was a cinema in Waterville (now a fundementalist church!) that had two very large screens, both of them with shallow curves (probably about 130 degrees). Every movie was shown on them. As I am sure the prints were not recitified, they must have projected non-distorted images using a spherical lenses designed especially for that set-up. I loved that theater, and attended it every week almost without fail. In the 70's, both auditoriums were divided in half to make 4 theaters, all with small, flat screens. It was criminal, in my opinion.

#22 of 24 OFFLINE   bdzmusicprod

bdzmusicprod

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:38 AM

Very Cool.

#23 of 24 OFFLINE   bdzmusicprod

bdzmusicprod

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 04:39 AM

That's COOL...NOT COLL>

#24 of 24 OFFLINE   antoniobiz1

antoniobiz1

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:34 AM

I started experimenting with Immersive Display Lite 2 (I posted a link earlier in this thread). It works!
You have as many control points as you want, so I'l have to do my math to calculate the required distortions. But it's doable.

Plus, you are not forced to a center distortion: you can do an asymetric one and simulate a balcony viewing, for example.
Anyway, I put together a small video of the results you can obtain. Please please forgive the horrible quality, camerawork and editing. I have not purchased the program yet, so there's also an annoying logo. Still, I think the results are really encouraging!

#25 of 24 OFFLINE   bdzmusicprod

bdzmusicprod

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 01:12 PM

Very cool. However it looks as though you have to use a projector to do this. It would be nice to have the ability to do this from a blu ray player connected to a flat screen television.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users