Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Excellent article in new 'Sight & Sound' on the art & science of Blu-Ray transfers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 02:54 AM

Written by Nick Wrigley, formerly of Masters of Cinema in the UK. A thrillingly interesting despatch ~ Should be learned off by heart by every Blu-Ray producer in the business.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 04:24 AM

Is this online anywhere? The print is really hard to see. thanks

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 06:30 AM

Haven't found it online yet, just PDF downloads, from which this screen grab was taken. Apologies for the quality, I sharpened it up as much as I could. I find if you right click and open in a new tab it's pretty legible, as opposed to just left clicking the image.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 06:40 AM

It was about time such an article was written. Could have been from me 5 years ago. :cool: I remember I got quite worried as early as "Lord of the Rings 2" when DNR started to creep into digital cinema masters.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for posting.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 919 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 06:58 AM

Excellent article. Done in a way lay people can understand. Cheers to Nick!

#7 of 11 ONLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,305 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:40 AM

Apologies for the quality, I sharpened it up as much as I could.

HERESY! :D Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#8 of 11 ONLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,305 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:42 AM

It was about time such an article was written. Could have been from me 5 years ago. :cool: I remember I got quite worried as early as "Lord of the Rings 2" when DNR started to creep into digital cinema masters.

Surely, that's quite different. If PJ wanted his film with grain removed, then that's his call. In this case it'd be revisionist to go back in the process to a pre-DNR version and release that with its grain intact, against PJ's wishes. Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:35 AM

Surely, that's quite different. If PJ wanted his film with grain removed, then that's his call. In this case it'd be revisionist to go back in the process to a pre-DNR version and release that with its grain intact, against PJ's wishes.

Revisionism isn't the only problem with excessive DNR. DNR removes details and produces an image that some find aesthetically unpleasant. A director certainly has creative license to use DNR as one of his filmmaking tools, but that doesn't automatically make it a good idea.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:14 AM

Surely, that's quite different. If PJ wanted his film with grain removed, then that's his call. In this case it'd be revisionist to go back in the process to a pre-DNR version and release that with its grain intact, against PJ's wishes. Steve W

While it was done with the blessing of the director it was poorly done and looks very bad compared to the current state of the art. And Jackson did not want the grain removed in general. It was a couple of specific grainy shots. Another matter was the print of "Seabiscuit" which I saw back then which was RUINED by DNR. That was fixed later on.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:42 AM

Apologies for the quality, I sharpened it up as much as I could.

Well, isn't that ironic? :D (D'oh! Steve beat me to it.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users