What's new

Best way to connect Yamaha YSP2200 to TV? (1 Viewer)

Tormes

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hi,
Just bought my first soundbar - Yamaha YSP2200. I have a PS3 for DVD's and a Satellite TV box, both with HDMI cables running to a new Samsung 40".
Now, should I connect the PS3 and Sat TV to the soundbar, and then run a HDMI to the TV - or
Should I connect the PS3 and Sat TV directly to the TV with the HDMI's, and run a Optical cable to the soundbar?
I would appreciate any input on this, or any advice on a different way??
Thanks

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.

The first option you listed is the preferred way to connect your devices. Run the HDMI from each source to the soundbar, then run a single HDMI from the soundbar to the display.

TVs are not designed to be the hub of a system - they often won't preserve the digitial multichannel audio from external components when the audio is passed out via the digital optical output. Instead, external sources are downconverted to analog stereo. By running each source directly to the soundbar, you will be able to ensure that the soundbar has the best audio format with which to work.

The Audio Return Channel (ARC) of HDMI is an attempt to rectify this (presumably allowing you to connect sources to display, and display to soundbar), but every manufacturer implements it slightly differently and there's a decent chance that trying to use ARC will cause more problems than it solves.

Good luck with your system!

Tormes

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hi Jason,
That's exactly the information I needed. The guy in the shop said 'nah, optical cable is the only way to go'... but I tend not to trust salesmen to much. I'll get myself another HDMI cable today, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks