Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

This has gotten out of hand.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 of 36 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,369 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 04:22 AM

I always Christmas shop at the very last minute.
Masochist! :laugh:

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 40,132    :biggrin:   ( 847 Series )  :B)  Movies - 2,538 :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B) Documentaries  500 :B)

#22 of 36 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,986 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 16 2012 - 07:04 AM

I have done some version of Black Friday shopping at a store for well over a decade now.  Last year was my smallest "haul" with a handful of BD's.  I actually like expanding the sales to a few weeks, or even an entire month...especially at online retailers.  Why?  There's no way one paycheck can support everything I see I want along with food for Thanksgiving and all my regular expenses.  I will hold out for Amazon to price match a few items...and if they don't, I can always take a trip to the store later on Black Friday to pick up what I want.    Opening earlier is a symptom of the kind of environment we live in, where people trample each other for a cheap TV or bring a gun to a crowded store and it accidentally goes off, hurting someone.  If we weren't such a "things"-driven society always looking for the best deal, we might be able to walk this entire process back.  We're all at fault, when you think about it: consumers, retailers and manufacturers.   Do I think stores opening earlier or on Thanksgiving is the end of the world?  Nope.  Not in the slightest. 

#23 of 36 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,183 posts
  • LocationPallookaville, USA

Posted November 19 2012 - 07:30 AM

I never have participated in a Black Friday event. I just don't have the interest in standing in line to get into a store that I can walk into any other day of the year. It seems ridiculous. There is also really nothing I want or need to purchase that I would feel the need to stand in line for...let alone interrupt a holiday to go to a WalMart or Best Buy...and certainly not in the middle of the night. Why go to a store you can go to any other time and not have to deal with crowds or lines or rude shoppers obsessed with getting a deal? I mean it is worth paying a few extra bucks just not to have to deal with all that. Cyber Monday I think is fantastic and I'm all for that or expanding it to Cyber Black Friday as well but there is no chance of getting me to a store to buy something in the middle of the night or during a holiday unless it is some sort of emergency...but not because they have marked down some product that will be sale priced again anyway.

#24 of 36 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,369 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 09:19 AM

Plans for my "Daring Black Friday Predawn Raid" are now finalized: 5:00 AM Get Up, BEELINE for Bealls and get the Ornament they'll be giving away, then head straight to World Market to get their free Ornament, followed by an assault on Sam's Club for their Breakfast. After that I'll return home and fire my DVD Time Machine and head to November 27, 1970 to recreate WXYZ TV's (Channel 7 Detroit) Black Friday Broadcast.:D

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 40,132    :biggrin:   ( 847 Series )  :B)  Movies - 2,538 :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B) Documentaries  500 :B)

#25 of 36 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,986 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 19 2012 - 09:23 AM

WXYZ...good times.  Haven't heard those letters in a few years. 

#26 of 36 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted November 19 2012 - 11:51 AM

Just found out today I shouldn't have to work, at least not in the morning. so i'll probably drag out of bed at 5:30, dress and head to my couple of places I have in my dinky town. Basically Wally world and BL.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#27 of 36 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,933 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 20 2012 - 06:45 AM

I never have participated in a Black Friday event. I just don't have the interest in standing in line to get into a store that I can walk into any other day of the year. It seems ridiculous. There is also really nothing I want or need to purchase that I would feel the need to stand in line for...let alone interrupt a holiday to go to a WalMart or Best Buy...and certainly not in the middle of the night. Why go to a store you can go to any other time and not have to deal with crowds or lines or rude shoppers obsessed with getting a deal? I mean it is worth paying a few extra bucks just not to have to deal with all that. Cyber Monday I think is fantastic and I'm all for that or expanding it to Cyber Black Friday as well but there is no chance of getting me to a store to buy something in the middle of the night or during a holiday unless it is some sort of emergency...but not because they have marked down some product that will be sale priced again anyway.
That is how I feel. I would rather spend that time with my family then get up that early and deal with the crowds. I do not need to save a few dollars that much. I worked retail while I was in college, so I do feel for the workers who are forced to work on the holidays. However, as was mentioned above, you know what you are signing up for when you take the job.

#28 of 36 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,986 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 20 2012 - 06:49 AM

In years past (especially when living with my parents), I NEEDED to get away for a few hours over a four day weekend at home.  Parents, sister, uncle and his family...I think the stores may have been quieter than the house at some points...  I used to have a group that went BF shopping.  Since I moved away from everyone, it's just not the same going alone.  This year will be the first in over a dozen years where I don't go to a store.  (I'm doing a lot of Amazon shopping.)   But point taken and understood. 

#29 of 36 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,369 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 07:01 AM

I really don't blame those who refuse to touch this event with a ten foot pole. On the other hand there's the thrill of the chase, and being able to watch people do things that nobody IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would even THINK of doing any other day of the year! :laugh:

#30 of 36 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,839 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:12 AM

I usually hit the late-night Thanksgiving sale at Walmart for some DVD's and other small gifts, but have no desire to stand in lines for any type of "hot deal" electronics type of stuff. I'm not an early morning person, so any sales that start at 4-7AM are out for me. I do feel bad that people need to work at these stores that may rather be home for the holiday, but there's only so many hours of eating, football watching, and family visiting I can take all at once. I'm usually ready for a break of some kind later in the evening.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#31 of 36 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,307 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 05:11 AM

Yeah, I just noticed I'll be at WM 8PM Thanksgiving. That kind of sucks. I like it better when I just go up early Black Friday. BF is become the holiday that doesn't know what the hell it wants to be. :( 3 or 4 years ago I went on a Saturday morning and got some fab DVD deals. I don't think I'll risk that this time. I do wonder if I need to bother with actually going on BF if all I want is DVD/BD deals...??? Thursday is just Blackened Thursday as far as I'm concerned. :D
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#32 of 36 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,251 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yes, I've seen more really bad deals than anything else.   Walmart had a "doorbuster" laptop at $279.. except we're talking total garbage; 1.33Ghz Processor, slow 4200RPM HDD and 2G of RAM.   Give someone that and you might as well be cursing them.  Spend about $50 more and get something decent.  They also had a 50" HDTV on sale.. 720P 60Hz.. I'm sure people will snag them but wow.  It's like pawning off total trash on people.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#33 of 36 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,776 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:23 AM

The two laughs I had yesterday.... Menards having a 32" LCD for $117 after $50 rebate. Might have been $127, wasn't paying that much attention. Then Walmart has a 32" Emerson(???) for $148. Do these things need to be that cheap??? I bought, ages ago, a 42" 720P/1080i Hitachi plasma to be our master bedroom TV...granted it was wholesale...for $625...tax included. I think it is a 42a202(not yanking it off the wall to check). Even "retail" prices on 42" plasma are under that now... I also remember when Sharp released a 32" Aquos(yes, there is a difference between "Sharp Branded" and "Sharp Aquos") that had a wholesale price of $376...It was when NOBODY(except maybe Emerson/Vizio/Element, you know the "trash") else was under $400 wholesale. We thought the industry was going to collapse...

#34 of 36 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,307 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 10:45 AM

TVs are funny. It's all about 3D now. I just bought my first 3 3D flicks and don't have equipment to watch them on. Can't wait til I do!

#35 of 36 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,820 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted November 23 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yes, I've seen more really bad deals than anything else.   Walmart had a "doorbuster" laptop at $279.. except we're talking total garbage; 1.33Ghz Processor, slow 4200RPM HDD and 2G of RAM.   Give someone that and you might as well be cursing them.  Spend about $50 more and get something decent.  They also had a 50" HDTV on sale.. 720P 60Hz.. I'm sure people will snag them but wow.  It's like pawning off total trash on people.
It works because the vast majority of people have no clue about computer or TV specifications and couldn't pick the good one out of a sea of crap if their life depended on it. They just see "Laptop - $279!" and "50" HDTV - $300" and logic goes out the window. I've written down "minimum" specs for people only to have them call me from the store asking if what they're looking at is "good". It doesn't help that most (all?) staff in the stores are as clueless about specs as the people they are supposed to be helping.

#36 of 36 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,307 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 02:07 PM

I go through great pains to recommend stuff to my folks but they always ignore me. Just recently they ask about 3D TVs. All kinds of problems there... in fact having to have that talk (AGAIN!) about how they need to get a separate sound system and not just use the speakers on the TV itself. "But we don't like it loud..." lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users