What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Guys and Dolls -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Joseph L. Mankiewicz' adaptation of Frank Loesser's timeless Broadway musical Guy and Dolls, is the first of the Samuel Goldwyn productions to come from the new pact with Warner Home Video, and it provides not only an impressive debut, and a peek at potential future quality.

Mr. Goldwyn, a consummate producer and showman, spared no expense to bring the correct talent to this production, and it shows, sixty years later.

Photographed in the still relatively early Eastman Color process -- Mr. Goldwyn had kept the Technicolor lab producing prints for him since at least as far back as 1924, with two color sequences for Cytherea. Whoopee! (1930) was two color. Kid Millions, with Eddie Cantor, 1934, used three-strip. Among other Technicolor productions, which we anticipate using Warner's Ultra-rez process, were the works of Danny Kaye.

But as far as Eastman Color was concerned, there were but two. Mr. Goldwyn's final productions, Guys and Dolls, and Porgy and Bess, which originated in 65mm.

This is a simple one.

Great musical. Beautiful production values. Stands the test of time in spades.

Marlon Brando, Jean Simmons, Frank Sinatra, Vivian Blaine... the list goes on.

Warner has been able to harvest a very good looking image from the early Eastman element. Color is on the warm side, which is fine, as it also hides what may be the tiniest bit of fade. Flesh tones are generally very nice. Dark reds stand out, especially in uniforms. Grain structure is proper.

CinemaScope (2.55) looks as it should for the era.

A lovely Blu-ray of a great and important film.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5 (4.0 discreet)

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Reactions: PMF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've never seen this one, but this review makes me curious.
As you say, we can look forward to some Danny Kaye movies from WB! In fact, the first Kaye title, Hans Christian Anderson, is due fairly soon....

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by benbess /t/325120/a-few-words-about-guys-and-dolls-in-blu-ray#post_4000110
I've never seen this one, but this review makes me curious.
As you say, we can look forward to some Danny Kaye movies from WB! In fact, the first Kaye title, Hans Christian Anderson, is due fairly soon....
Be aware, that HCA, is a far different beast than earlier Kaye films.

RAH

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Robert Harris said:
Be aware, that HCA, is a far different beast than earlier Kaye films.
RAH
I've seen most of his other titles, but somehow have missed this one. Are you saying it's not one of his better films?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Very happy re Guys and Dolls. I'm going to be enjoying that one now like never before.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Speaking of Danny Kaye, I'd like to see Wonder Man again, a good entry in that rare genre, identical twins masquerading as one another. I saw it when I was about 10 on a double bill at a local fleapit (I got in for free because the lady next door ran the ticket booth). Funny thing is, I could swear that it was shown in widescreen. This was in the UK, so maybe the projectionist simply left the 1.66 aperture plate in.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
theonemacduff said:
Speaking of Danny Kaye, I'd like to see Wonder Man again, a good entry in that rare genre, identical twins masquerading as one another.
"I'm a little devil, ain't I?" :D
Perhaps my favourite Kaye film. I'd kill for a BD, and, of course, The Court Jester.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
theonemacduff said:
Speaking of Danny Kaye, I'd like to see Wonder Man again, a good entry in that rare genre, identical twins masquerading as one another. I saw it when I was about 10 on a double bill at a local fleapit (I got in for free because the lady next door ran the ticket booth). Funny thing is, I could swear that it was shown in widescreen. This was in the UK, so maybe the projectionist simply left the 1.66 aperture plate in.
Another fan of Wonder Man here. Let's hope it gets the full WB ultra rez treatment.
He had about a 15 year run of good to great movies, almost all of which I think are now in the hands of Warner. There are some I've never seen....
Up In Arms (1944)
This is a spectacular and at times surreal WW2 musical, iirc. Kaye's debut is a first class Goldwyn production that I think is probably still worth seeing. I myself haven't seen it since the 70s, but I enjoyed it then...
Wonder Man (1945)
The Kid from Brooklyn (1946)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
what a classic!
The Inspector General (1949)
Not as good as his others, but funny and spectacular in places
On the Riviera (1951)
haven't seen it
Hans Christian Anderson (1952)
haven't seen it, but a blu-ray is expected soon from WB!
Knock on Wood (1953)
Very funny! Another winner
White Christmas (1954)
A spectacular classic in VistaVision
The Court Jester (1955)
hilarious!
Merry Andrew (1958)
haven't seen it
The Five Pennies (1959)
haven't seen it
On the Double (1961)
haven't seen it

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Mark-P said:
Gee whiz, folks, wasn't Danny Kaye great it Guys and Dolls? :confused:
I'm sorry we got off topic. I am looking forward to Guys and Dolls. How do people who own this feel about this compared to other musicals from the 50s?

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Guys and Dolls is one of my favorite musicals and the only 50s musical I enjoy more than it is KISS ME KATE. I took a few peeks at the blu ray and it is spectacular.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I've been waiting over 2 decades since buying the aspect ratio-compromised original laserdisc release of this title for justice to finally be done in terms of a state-of-the-art home theater presentation...thanks to this blu-ray release, my wait is happily over!!! I'm over the moon about this beautifully done video and audio transfer!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/325120/a-few-words-about-guys-and-dolls-in-blu-ray#post_4000098

Grain structure is proper.

I'm glad to see this, Robert.

As I reported in the HTF review thread...when I watched my copy, I was a little concerned that the grain in the film was really capturing my attention a bit too much. I've watched my DVD dozens of times over the years and was expecting something different, I guess, when I spun up the Blu-ray.

But, as you know, I just took possession of a new 55" plasma (up from a 32" LCD for me) and I think I am still getting used to what certain films should look like. Just part of my continuing education...

greg.shoemaker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gregory Shoemaker
The Blu-ray does not include the fim's exit/walk-out music which was included on the laserdisc release. Of course, the previous DVD issues didn't either. Oh, well. Someday?
Shoe

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I have not seen this in quite a few years, watched the blu-ray last night and enjoyed it very much. I had forgotten how charismatic Marlon Brando was in the role. Maybe it was seeing it in high-def on a 100" screen that helped bring that across; last time I watched it was on a considerably smaller screen. Like the others here, I did miss the exit music that was on the laserdisc. Nonetheless, a beautiful blu-ray.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
"Guys and Dolls" had the misfortune of being played after watching "Lawrence of Arabia" on blu-ray. Of course the image difference was shocking. But the Colors in "Guys and Dolls" were vivid and the film was clean - although it looked like the image was stretched a bit making the actors seem wider then they really were...anyone else notice this?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/325120/a-few-words-about-guys-and-dolls-in-blu-ray#post_4002654
although it looked like the image was stretched a bit making the actors seem wider then they really were...anyone else notice this?
Cinemascope Mumps?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
GMpasqua said:
"Guys and Dolls" had the misfortune of being played after watching "Lawrence of Arabia" on blu-ray. Of course the image difference was shocking. But the Colors in "Guys and Dolls" were vivid and the film was clean - although it looked like the image was stretched a bit making the actors seem wider then they really were...anyone else notice this?
I watched this BRD last night and I didn't notice Cinemascope mumps. I wasn't looking for them and perhaps if I had been, I would have seen them. I was very pleased with the disc despite the lack of exit music.

The film itself, of course, is brilliant. I loved everything about it, even Brando's rendition of Luck Be A Lady. Sure, Sinatra or Gordon Macrae would have taken that song to a different level but Brando's version worked fine for me.

. . . and Jean Simmons! She really was quite something in those days. Guys And Dolls, The Big Country, Spartacus and Elmer Gantry. Excellent and sexy in all of them. That's some track record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks