-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver clicking off during movies

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 JiM T

JiM T

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:15 AM

I have a two year old Pioneer VSX-520 audio receiver that has started clicking off during louder parts of both DVDs and Blu-Rays. I've determined that the problem is sound, not picture, as I was running both via HDMI through the receiver, but in troubleshooting, switched the blu-ray player's HDMI directly to the TV, and switched the audio to optical through the receiver. I've tried to tinker around in the settings, but not being enough of an audio wizard, I can't figure this out. It was working fine for 2 yrs up until a couple weeks ago when it took to switching off. I believe it's just trying to protect the speakers (all 8 ohms), but that was never a problem before. Either the receiver is going haywire on me, or my toddler old son somehow screwed it up on a deep internal level while I wasn't around. Help? And THANKS!

#2 of 3 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,691 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:55 AM

The first thing to check is to make sure there aren't any bare strands of speaker wire touching anything, like the back of the receiver or wires touching each other. The next thing to look at is the crossover setting. The lower the setting the harder your receiver has to work. Try raising it a little. It could also be a problem inside one of your speakers which is causing your receiver to shut down. But that would be very rare. You can also try un-hooking the speakers one at a time to try and isolate which speaker or connection is causing the problem. The last thing is the receiver is starting to fail.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 3 JiM T

JiM T

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 04:29 PM

Thanks Gene! Looks like I had the silver and gold ends of a spliced wire connection touching each other. After A LOT of trial and error, that was the adjustment that made the difference. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users