What's new

Receiver clicking off during movies (1 Viewer)

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I have a two year old Pioneer VSX-520 audio receiver that has started clicking off during louder parts of both DVDs and Blu-Rays. I've determined that the problem is sound, not picture, as I was running both via HDMI through the receiver, but in troubleshooting, switched the blu-ray player's HDMI directly to the TV, and switched the audio to optical through the receiver.
I've tried to tinker around in the settings, but not being enough of an audio wizard, I can't figure this out. It was working fine for 2 yrs up until a couple weeks ago when it took to switching off. I believe it's just trying to protect the speakers (all 8 ohms), but that was never a problem before. Either the receiver is going haywire on me, or my toddler old son somehow screwed it up on a deep internal level while I wasn't around.
Help? And THANKS!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The first thing to check is to make sure there aren't any bare strands of speaker wire touching anything, like the back of the receiver or wires touching each other.
The next thing to look at is the crossover setting. The lower the setting the harder your receiver has to work. Try raising it a little.
It could also be a problem inside one of your speakers which is causing your receiver to shut down. But that would be very rare.
You can also try un-hooking the speakers one at a time to try and isolate which speaker or connection is causing the problem.
The last thing is the receiver is starting to fail.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Gene! Looks like I had the silver and gold ends of a spliced wire connection touching each other. After A LOT of trial and error, that was the adjustment that made the difference. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks