Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Kino Press Release: The David O. Selznick Collection (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,356 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 01:16 PM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,363 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 09 2012 - 02:39 PM

I held off on the couple of these that I wanted, so I'm definitely looking forward to this set. Probably be cheap and wait for a sale though...

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,471 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:16 PM

Same here. I don't have any of the films in the set on Blu, so I'll wait to see the set reduced. I can make do with the versions of the films I have now until then.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,534 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:30 PM

The set is currently $50.08 at Deep Discount with their 25% off coupon. That is about $10 a film. http://www.deepdisco...ON-738329109028

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,471 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garysb /t/325054/kino-press-release-the-david-o-selznick-collection-blu-ray#post_3999658

The set is currently $50.08 at Deep Discount with their 25% off coupon. That is about $10 a film.
http://www.deepdisco...ON-738329109028

Just placed my order. Thanks so much for this information.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:36 AM

But only $43 at Importcds, plus you can use the coupon code save10 to get another 10% off: http://www.importcds...ick-Collection-[5-Discs]-[Blu-Ray]-Blu-Ray I already have Bird of Paradise and Nothing Sacred. I love [edit: Max Steiner's] score on Bird of Paradise, so it's disappointing that the audio is so horribly distorted on the blu-ray.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:35 AM

But only $43 at Importcds, plus you can use the coupon code save10 to get another 10% off:
http://www.importcds...ick-Collection-[5-Discs]-[Blu-Ray]-Blu-Ray
I already have Bird of Paradise and Nothing Sacred. I love Franz Waxman's score on Bird of Paradise, so it's disappointing that the audio is so horribly distorted on the blu-ray.

Actually, it is Max Steiner's score, but still disappointing that the audio is distorted. I wrote Kino about this after the initial release, but heard nothing back.
And LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY is fine coming from a print, but the Disney restoration is much superior, coming from original sources in both sound and audio. This was out on the MGM, but only for standard DVD.

Also, NOTHING SACRED had a great restoration by Disney, but hasn't been on DVD or even cable stations to my knowledge. I was hoping it would be this version when TCM licensed the Selznicks from Disney, but I guess they figured they had the cheaper PD version and only shows that.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 11:34 AM

Actually, it is Max Steiner's score, but still disappointing that the audio is distorted. I wrote Kino about this after the initial release, but heard nothing back. And LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY is fine coming from a print, but the Disney restoration is much superior, coming from original sources in both sound and audio. This was out on the MGM, but only for standard DVD. Also, NOTHING SACRED had a great restoration by Disney, but hasn't been on DVD or even cable stations to my knowledge. I was hoping it would be this version when TCM licensed the Selznicks from Disney, but I guess they figured they had the cheaper PD version and only shows that.
Sorry, my mistake on the composer..thanks. The audio is maddening also because it's hard to understand some of the dialogue. What a shame. I didn't know Nothing Sacred was restored! The blu-ray isn't great at all.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 11:44 AM

And LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY is fine coming from a print, but the Disney restoration is much superior, coming from original sources in both sound and audio. This was out on the MGM, but only for standard DVD.
Minor correction, but the Little Lord Fauntleroy DVD was from Anchor Bay.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted November 10 2012 - 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WadeM /t/325054/kino-press-release-the-david-o-selznick-collection-blu-ray#post_3999817

I didn't know Nothing Sacred was restored! The blu-ray isn't great at all.

I know this has been posted many times before, but it's worth re-linking because the article is fascinating (and also utterly disappointing because I'm not aware of this ten year old or so restoration ever seeing the commercial light of day) and it's always a good thing to show to people who have never seen it:

http://www.creativep...mbination/43980

While I tried (I really I really did) to like the Kino blu of NOTHING SACRED, I think it's just awful.  STAR IS BORN looked like it was going to be more of the same so I never even bothered.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:00 AM

I know this has been posted many times before, but it's worth re-linking because the article is fascinating (and also utterly disappointing because I'm not aware of this ten year old or so restoration ever seeing the commercial light of day) and it's always a good thing to show to people who have never seen it:

http://www.creativep...mbination/43980

While I tried (I really I really did) to like the Kino blu of NOTHING SACRED, I think it's just awful.  STAR IS BORN looked like it was going to be more of the same so I never even bothered.

That is disappointing. It's strange to me that they went through the effort of restoring it, yet didn't release it on home video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users