What's new

hi! another speaker question.. (1 Viewer)

cmart

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
hi all. been lurking these forums for awhile. lost my house to a fire and am in the process of buying (building) a new surround sound. ive decided to go with a denon 1712 from accessories4less. not really looking for high end stuff, just good quality and good bass. my wife and i like to watch movies and i love listening to music :cool:.
im very new to home audio, have only purchased one htib that was lost in the fire. it was an insignia and seemed pretty good, but i dont really have anything to compare it to. i frequently had to turn down action scenes and turn up during dialogue.
will these: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSMCS150B/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-Horizon-MCS150-5.1-System-w/10-150w-Sub-Black/1.html mesh well with the denon 1712? what all do i need to look for when matching speakers to a receiver? im willing to spend another 350 or so on speakers/sub, if i can get a decent set for that price range.
any comments/recommendations of other speakers?
edit: forgot to add, the system will be going into a small living room, probably 15x15. 5.1 is all im interested in setting up. 7.1 would be overkill/crowded

cmart

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
thanks for your reply. while i realize that any speaker i plug into the receiver will make sound, i thought there were certain "levels" you had to keep in mind when pairing up speaker to receiver. wattage, ohm, etc. thats what i was told for car audio anyway /shrug
where as im new to home theatre, the only speakers i have heard are the insignia ones i had. the only subs i know anything about are the jl audios i used to keep in the car. im looking for recommendations of good home audio brands, and a really good sub

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
i thought there were certain "levels" you had to keep in mind when pairing up speaker to receiver. wattage, ohm, etc.
Ohms - Yes. You can't use 4 ohm speakers on a receiver rated for 8 ohm and higher. Other than that, not really.
thats what i was told for car audio anyway /shrug
I'm a member of more car audio forums than I am home audio and only the above applies there as well. You have amps that can drive lower impedances but that's about it.
im looking for recommendations of good home audio brands, and a really good sub
Brands - It depends on the piece of equipment. I wouldn't own Pioneer speakers but I buy nothing but Pioneer receivers. Speakers, I'm a DIY guy. Same with subs. If you read a little in the recent posts, you will see the sub companies recommended. They also sell some speakers that are good. Only a few speaker companies make really good subs. Check out the receivers section for finding the same information.
What we really need is a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks