Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Sessions quick review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 07 2012 - 02:35 PM

It's pretty hard to tell a story that so directly involves sex as much as "The Sessions" without someone taking it as a film that is just designed to entice that kind of audience.   Yes, there is plenty of fully nude Helen Hunt.   But putting that aside, this is a film that is a surprisingly effective telling of the difficulties in finding confidence/love of people who suffer with real disabilities.

I found it effective, moving, funny.  Based on the life story of Mark O'Brien, it changes a bit from his articles but the heart of this story really hits home.   The dialog is at times witty and funny, Macy and Helen Hunt are both fantastic.  Helen Hunt delivers one of the most gutsy, touching performances I've ever seen an actress deliver.   This is a difficult role and she plays it incredibly well.

A solid "A"

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,151 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 25 2012 - 01:16 PM

Four stars from me as well. A truly terrific and touching film with a great sense of humor. Hawkes was simply amazing in the picture and especially since he had so little to work with. He's pretty much in an iron lung or under the covers for the majority of the running time so he just has his head to work with. I found the relationship between the two to be incredibly touching but so were the other relationships he had but you don't fully "get" them until then end when they really hit home. Hunt was also great and it's strange to see that several actresses swear off nudity in their youth but then go all in when they're older. I'm glad to see this is a hit for this type of movie but it's sad this type of film struggles to find a wide audiance but I'm sure most of the mainstream types would be put off by the nudity and sex in an ADULT movie. Still, people should certainly check it out if it comes close.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 25 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hawkes was simply amazing in the picture and especially since he had so little to work with.

Thanks to years of really excellent guest starring spots on TV shows, I've been a fan of John Hawkes for years. Since his role on Deadwood and in Winter's Bone, it's been nice to see him getting more recognition and bigger roles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users