Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
3D Blu-ray Reviews

Brave 3D Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 of 37 OFFLINE   Ted Van Duyn

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:31 AM

And it's just as likely that she was taking the movie down the wrong path and by changing directors, they salvaged what they could. Or more to the point, if they hadn't fired the one director, the movie could have ended up much worse.
Well, I don't think upping the comedic factor or changing the title to something as stupid as Brave makes the movie any better. If you want a comedy, Kung Fu Panda 2 was released pretty close to Brave.

#22 of 37 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,033 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 15 2012 - 06:45 AM

Well, I don't think upping the comedic factor or changing the title to something as stupid as Brave makes the movie any better. If you want a comedy, Kung Fu Panda 2 was released pretty close to Brave.
I wasn't there but I can make a pretty good guess that if they fired the director during production, there were more far more serious problems than not having enough comedy or wanting a title change.

#23 of 37 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,148 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_D_R /t/325021/brave-3d-blu-ray-review#post_4001546 It's not just the fact that those elements were there, it was how poorly they were executed. To me, the handling of "My Mom, the Bear" was totally ham-fisted, in that every gag was exactly what you would expect. Pixar is renowned for taking setups that seem conventional, in unexpected directions, and that didn't happen for me at all with Brave. Also, everything about the witch (tone, jokes, characterization) was straight out of the most mediocre releases from Dreamworks. Up and Wall-E are miles above Brave. Merida is a fine character, and the conflict between her and her mother was set up well. After that though...
  Actually I didn't anticipate a lot of gags, such as the mom trying to keep up decorum with utensils and napkins out in the woods.  everything about the witch was straight out of Studio Ghibli, not Dreamworks--and it was hardly out of a mediocre Ghibli release, rather it was straight out of Spirited Away.  The entire movie is about the conflict between Merida and her mother and in terms of Merida's internal development was about her immaturity and selfishness (which feed into the conflict); the story doesn't resolve when Merida tries to be more feminine as her mother wished, the story resolves when Merida takes on personal responsibility and apologizes--it's actually rather fine storytelling, resolving internal conflicts like Merida's personal obstacles) as well as the external conflict between Merida and her Mother--which comes moments after resolving the other Macguffin conflict with the bear Mor'du (but even as a macguffin, it is well used and thematically parallel when considering Mor'du's backstory).   And regarding the slapstick, I found everything with the three brothers to be some of the best slapstick Pixar has ever put on film, brilliant comic timing and great animation with that trio.

#24 of 37 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,090 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 12:16 PM

We hope that some of you will be interested in browsing through some of the material located on the referenced page.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#25 of 37 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,090 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 05:46 AM

Finally was able to watch this film yesterday afternoon.   My opinion of the film changed dramatically from first to  second half.   Initially, I was in complete awe of the animation.  I was anticipating a story that would match the powerful visuals. When Miranda meets the witch, I thought, "Wow, this is really getting fun."   Instead, it's as if everything suddenly became disjointed.  A story about a strong-willed lass whose mother gets turned into a bear?  What were the writers thinking?      Something as fresh and daring as this film should not have  succumbed to a second-rate story.   It seems Pixar has lost their way with BRAVE.  Certainly not up to par with their other films.   The 3D was somewhat disappointing as well.  Obviously the animators wanted a more subtle effect, but at times  things seemed more 2D than 3D, with most of the effect being lost in the darker scenes.   Personally, I would have opted for a little more depth, but who am I to challenge the decisions of the animation team.   In all, not a bad film but certainly not anything I could say was above average.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#26 of 37 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,461 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 19 2012 - 01:03 PM

I had Idea that was the story angle in this movie. Never saw anything like tha t to hint to it in any of the previews.
facebook.com/whotony

#27 of 37 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 19 2012 - 01:09 PM

We hope that some of you will be interested in browsing through some of the material located on the referenced page.
I wish I would have had such a guide when I drove 30 miles out of the way to see Brave in Dolby Atmos. I did not notice any special sound effects in that showing.

#28 of 37 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,026 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 19 2012 - 02:50 PM

By far the weakest Pixar film to date. Bought this blind and was disappointed. The transfer was good but the film itself was so "blah" to the point of almost being annoying. Pretty much agree dead on with Mr Epstein. Major letdown. :(
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#29 of 37 OFFLINE   Writer-dad

Writer-dad

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 12:05 PM

I enjoyed Brave more on second viewing than the first. The Blu-ray is top notch from picture and sound perspectives. I find the special features a bit lacking, though: specifically, I wish they had included a picture-in-picture commentary like the brilliantly comprehensive one on Up.

Those interested in the movie's development - and Pixar's process in general - will likely enjoy this excellent Time article: http://www.time.com/...2107515,00.html

#30 of 37 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,482 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:21 PM

By far the weakest Pixar film to date. Bought this blind and was disappointed. The transfer was good but the film itself was so "blah" to the point of almost being annoying. Pretty much agree dead on with Mr Epstein. Major letdown. :(
I assume you have both seen CARS 2, right?

#31 of 37 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,090 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:25 PM

Quote:
I assume you have both seen CARS 2, right?
    Ooof.  Oh, yeah...thanks for reminding us.   I suppose Pixar had nowhere else to go but slowly upwards.   ...at least there's another Monsters Inc. movie coming.

Ronald J Epstein

#32 of 37 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,482 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 08:37 PM

...at least there's another Monsters Inc. movie coming.
Yes, and it looks clever and funny, unlike the very mediocre CARS 2. Anyone seen the trailer for the non-Pixar PLANES? The design of the eyes and animation all look to be modeled directly from the CARS films. Hope PLANES is a bit more involving.

#33 of 37 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,026 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:39 AM

Cars 2 is the only Pixar film I haven't seen yet and the 3d version has been sitting on my shelf for a while. I did enjoy Cars more than Brave though. I had high expectations for Brave and that may have affected my assessment of it. I'll rewatch it at some point after I watch Cars 2 to see if that takes the title of worst Pixar film to date for me.

#34 of 37 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,026 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:41 AM

And let me add that the "worst" Pixar films are still better than most other animated films out there. Perhaps "weakest"is the better word. :)

#35 of 37 OFFLINE   Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 03:56 PM

I saw "Brave" on United Airlines on a small screen in the seat back in front of me in 2D. I too thought the story was weak. It started strong, with an independent young woman chafing against the role society wanted her to play. Then it devolved into a weak mother/daughter conflict story told in hyperbolic terms. I've enjoyed and bought all of Pixar's products (except Cars 2), but I'll pass on this one.

#36 of 37 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,534 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted December 04 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yes, and it looks clever and funny, unlike the very mediocre CARS 2. Anyone seen the trailer for the non-Pixar PLANES? The design of the eyes and animation all look to be modeled directly from the CARS films. Hope PLANES is a bit more involving.
I think the trailer even says that says the story takes place in the cars world.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#37 of 37 ONLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,287 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/325021/brave-3d-blu-ray-review/30#post_4009664 I think the trailer even says that says the story takes place in the cars world.
Actually it takes place above the Cars world.
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users