-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone hear from Mike Knapp anymore?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 04:07 PM

I still keep in touch with Robert George (Obi) on occasion but I have to admit I have lost all contact with Mike. Anyone know how he is doing?
I did nothing...I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be..

#2 of 38 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,625 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 04:17 PM

I haven't kept up since he closed down Home Theater Talk a long, long time ago. He still actively posts on Home Theater Lounge which is kind of where some folks went after HTT shut down. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 38 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,361 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 05 2012 - 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Maynard 

I still keep in touch with Robert George (Obi) on occasion but I have to admit I have lost all contact with Mike.
Anyone know how he is doing?

Chris,

Like you, Obi and Mike came up in my discussion with Ron.  Obi does post here every now and then.  As to Mike, I think Ron mentioned he talks with him every now and then.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 38 Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 1,858 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted November 06 2012 - 09:06 AM

I miss that turkey this time of year.  No Jack either.

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#5 of 38 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 03:02 PM

yeah - Turkey Knapp was a tradition.  I seem to recall a pretty cool pumpkin as well - did that make an appearance and did I miss it?

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#6 of 38 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,074 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 03:42 PM

Recognize the name, but don't recall seeing him posting recently. He could still be here. Don't know the stats, but it seems like a fairly small group of maybe 40-50 people who post somewhat regularly and maybe I just haven't noticed him. This is a great forum, with many people, including me who have been here for ten or more years. With most forums, people don't stay around nearly as long. We're still fairly anonymous so hard to stay in touch with people. People come and go, maybe he has just moved on.
Stan

#7 of 38 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 06 2012 - 04:46 PM

I have not seen Mike post here for years. He posts regularly at Home Theater Lounge (as do I).

#8 of 38 Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 04:17 AM

Always cool to hear/see the old classic members brought up once in a while. Just see your name, Steve, reminded me how I came to this site in the first place. Well...kind of. Now that I think of it, I cant recall exactly, but I know I used to be a regular on your website (whos name escapes me now....grrr) and you must have mentioned the HTF or something. Anyway...that was a long time ago. Makes me nostalgic for the good old days when DVDs were unknown to the common folk and we were on the verge of exciting times in home theatre.
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#9 of 38 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,964 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 07 2012 - 05:22 AM

People come and go, maybe he has just moved on.

Miss a lot of the old crew. Communities are tough things to try to 'manage' tho, people and their interests change constantly. No matter what you do you are going to always have the "Whatever happened to that guy" syndrome, even if there was no real drama going on behind the scenes. Despite losing some great voices over the years I think HTF gets the balance right in keeping it moving forward, providing a friendly relaxed atmosphere, even with a few nuts sprinkled in...

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#10 of 38 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,625 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 05:55 AM

Always cool to hear/see the old classic members brought up once in a while. Just see your name, Steve, reminded me how I came to this site in the first place. Well...kind of. Now that I think of it, I cant recall exactly, but I know I used to be a regular on your website (whos name escapes me now....grrr) and you must have mentioned the HTF or something. Anyway...that was a long time ago. Makes me nostalgic for the good old days when DVDs were unknown to the common folk and we were on the verge of exciting times in home theatre.

Yep, that would be Steve's DVD Resource, which was also my gateway to the HTF. Just writing those words kind of brings back some of the old memories of HTF and Home Theater in general; Wookie Groomer, DIVX and the insider 'trillium 9', flat vs. 16x9 enhanced debates, DTS vs. Dolby, etc., etc. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#11 of 38 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 07 2012 - 08:47 AM

I have no idea how I first discovered this site. Gettin' old. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#12 of 38 Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 10:47 AM

Yep, that would be Steve's DVD Resource, which was also my gateway to the HTF. Just writing those words kind of brings back some of the old memories of HTF and Home Theater in general; Wookie Groomer, DIVX and the insider 'trillium 9', flat vs. 16x9 enhanced debates, DTS vs. Dolby, etc., etc. - Walter.

My Charmin vs Quilted Northern debate. :D
I did nothing...I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be..

#13 of 38 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:56 AM

hi Chris. I have not heard from Knapper for a few years now (maybe 4-5?). I keep in touch with Obi and see him every time I get to the Pan Handle. I will be there again in December. Obi is doing well and like a Pig in shit doing installation and sales work at a HT place.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#14 of 38 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

I have no idea how I first discovered this site.
Gettin' old. . .

OT -  I remember exactly how I did.  It was shortly after 9/11 and I was hanging out at the old "HomeTheaterSpot" and Dennis Nichols showed up and gave me a link to the "temporary blow off steam forum" that Ron had graciously provided to the HTF members to talk about current events and things that are normally not allowed.  It was pretty amazing.  I joined and have been hanging around ever since.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#15 of 38 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:45 AM

hi Chris. I have not heard from Knapper for a few years now (maybe 4-5?). I keep in touch with Obi and see him every time I get to the Pan Handle. I will be there again in December. Obi is doing well and like a Pig in shit doing installation and sales work at a HT place.

Speaking of you getting to Florida, when are we gonna see your pretty face around these parts again? :)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#16 of 38 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:17 AM

Thanks, Scott. I ran (and still have the domain to) dvdresource.com. If you go to the Wayback Machine (archive.org) you can still look up the old site. I bet if we looked hard enough, we could find the Turkey Knapp at HTF. After I folded the DVD Resource Forum, my forum links went directly to HTF. I figured, why do something myself when Ron and Parker had done it right and definitively. I have not been doing much with websites (I spend far too much time on Facebook for that) but I still occasionally update http://hdtvresource.com .

#17 of 38 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,585 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 06:30 AM

Haven't spoken with Mike for several years, last time was when I visited Orlando. About the two forums.

Recently, I have been in Tampa twice, funny enough, but on a difficult schedule (leaving a ship early in the morning and speeding to the airport to catch the proper plane), so I didn't even bother to try and reach Mike.

People go different ways, and the ways aren't always totally compatible. That's a pity, but somehow you keep thinking about them, as friends. For me this is the case with Mike.

I visited Mike's HTT regularly, but I wasn't a daily poster. Part of that stemmed from the fact that I'm still a moderator here.

And yes, Steve's DVD Resource forum was one of my "regulars" too. It must have been in the same time we read the DivX Lover's forum (a big and very funny joke) and The Big Picture.

I came here through a link on the site of Digital Eyes.

(And Chris, do you remember Jeremy L.? Was that on DVDFile or DVDTalk?)

Cees

#18 of 38 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,055 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 28 2012 - 03:38 AM

Better late than never?!?   Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#19 of 38 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,186 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 05:46 AM

Great!! :tu: Love it!!
Joseph
---------------

#20 of 38 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 28 2012 - 06:20 AM

Better late than never?!?   :confused: http://www.hometheat...ht/700/flags/LL

I'm saving a copy of that just in case it goes missing again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users