-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Star Wars Episode VII Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1254 replies to this topic

#181 of 1255 Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,388 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted May 02 2013 - 09:12 AM

I know you just wanted to whine about Abrams because of Star Trek but that comic book has nothing to do with him or his movie.

Just a little facetiousness.  Should have added a ;)

Too easy to rouse you fanboys.

#182 of 1255 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,776 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'm sure many of you saw the Collider interview with Bryan Burk:

http://collider.com/...014-bryan-burk/

In it, he says filming is expected to begin early next year.

My question is this: If Burk (and Bad Robot) are producing Episode VII, does that mean Bad Robot will be producing VIII and IX too? Wouldn't it seem kind of odd to jettison one of the production companies responsible for Episode VII? 

In the original trilogy, the directors other than Lucas didn't bring their own production companies on board (if they even had them). For those of us hoping the new trilogy echoed the original, having different directors sounded promising. Of course, it could be entirely too early to know any of this, but I'd be surprised if conversations haven't been had with regard to Bad Robot staying involved for the trilogy.

#183 of 1255 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,697 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 10 2013 - 04:08 PM

Osborne pays off Disney - SW VII to be shot in Britain.

http://www.telegraph...made-in-UK.html

Mr Osborne said: "I am delighted that Star Wars is coming back to Britain. Today’s announcement that the next Star Wars film will be shot and produced in the UK is great news for fans and our creative industries, and it is clear evidence that our incentives are attracting the largest studios back to the UK.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#184 of 1255 Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 06:52 AM

New animated series, STAR WARS REBELS just announced:

www.starwars.com

#185 of 1255 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,242 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 09:22 AM

If they wanted an animated series, why wouldn't they just keep The Clone Wars? :wacko:

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#186 of 1255 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,717 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 21 2013 - 09:28 AM

^ Good question especially since alot of the same creative team is on this new show. After how good The Clone Wars was, I'm definitely interested in seeing what those guys do with some stories set between trilogies though.

#187 of 1255 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,776 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 11:12 AM

Jonathan Rhys Meyers is rumored for Episode VII:

http://www.theforce...._VII_152028.asp

#188 of 1255 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,610 posts

Posted May 28 2013 - 09:59 AM

I posted this in the Star Wars Music appreciation thread, but here's some more good news (as found on Darkhorizons.com):

Talking with Zap2It, Williams said:

"We’ve certainly talked about that, and I’m happy and willing to do it. J.J. Abrams, who will be the director, seems excited about the idea. I have to say that J.J. is a much younger man than I, but I will try to keep up with him as much as I can."
"We now have the benefit of all this computer simulation and technical work that wasn’t even possible 20 or 25 years ago. I don’t know how hands-on George Lucas will be — I suspect he will be to some degree — but I can only imagine how excited he must be, to have a director like J.J. have all these tools at his fingertips to produce something even more adventurous technologically. I can’t wait to see what he will do with it."
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#189 of 1255 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,776 posts

Posted June 09 2013 - 09:28 AM

Some interesting comments by J.J. Abrams at the Produced By conference yesterday. 

http://www.hollywood...rs-plans-565077

"It is so massive and so important to people," he said. "I think the key to moving forward on something like this is honoring but not revering what came before."

He also indicated he's not too happy about Lucasfilm's decision to film in London, as he's taken great pains to remain in L.A. for his films, but that filming will likely start early next year.

#190 of 1255 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 09:31 AM

This press release from Disney will be the starting point that the marketing for EP VII will begin shortly and became unavoidable

http://www.businessw...al-Retail-Sales

Lucasfilm Officially Welcomed Into Extensive Disney Franchise Portfolio at Licensing Expo 2013

Licensing Expo 2013

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Disney Consumer Products (DCP) is poised to widen the gap even further as the world’s largest licensor with another year of strong growth tied to robust sales of licensed Disney merchandise and the acquisition of top entertainment company Lucasfilm Ltd. During an exclusive presentation at the annual Licensing Expo 2013 trade show, Bob Chapek, president of Disney Consumer Products, announced the formal inclusion of Lucasfilm licensing into DCP’s extensive franchise portfolio. Chapek also outlined the division’s strategy of bringing a more consumer-centric focus to DCP by aligning Disney’s expansive library of content with each consumer segment, focusing on technology and product innovation and on long-term franchise development.

"We're excited to be part of The Walt Disney Company and to be able to marshal all the resources we've never dreamt of before," said Howard Roffman, executive vice president, Lucasfilm franchise. "There's only one place where it made sense for Star Wars to reside and that is Disney, it is the only entertainment company that understands long term: long term brand affinity and franchise planning, plus the power of storytelling and compelling characters – this is what our fans expect from Star Wars."

A look at licensing and retail opportunities ahead:

Leading the boys consumer segment with a powerful slate of content and licensing opportunities:

LUCASFILM

As previously announced Disney and Lucasfilm are in development on all-new Star Wars films. Acclaimed filmmaker J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, set for 2015, the first of three films continuing the Star Wars saga. These will alternate with standalone movies tied to key Star Wars characters. Production has also begun on Star Wars Rebels, an exciting, all-new animated television series based on one of the greatest entertainment franchises of all time. Scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, it will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world. This outstanding line of content presents stellar licensing opportunities and deepens Disney’s portfolio across consumer segments, particularly with boys and collectors, but also opens up the Star Wars world to new fans.

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#191 of 1255 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,596 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 09:20 PM

Some interesting comments by J.J. Abrams at the Produced By conference yesterday. 

http://www.hollywood...rs-plans-565077

He also indicated he's not too happy about Lucasfilm's decision to film in London, as he's taken great pains to remain in L.A. for his films, but that filming will likely start early next year.

From the article:

Last month, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that Episode VII production would take place in the U.K., as with the saga's other films. The decision "really does make me insane," Abrams said.

The director has shot all his previous films in Los Angeles, even covering some of the cost personally, he explained, to shoot Star Trek: Into Darkness locally.

Abrams said the move to London would be quite an inconvenience for his wife and children.

"When you're 13 and 14, it's like, f--k that, I don't care what the movie is," he joked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If shooting a Star Wars movie is an inconvenience perhaps they picked the wrong director. 

If his family is a problem why bring them at all?  Skype with them, enjoy your time abroad, and man up.

I like Abrams and his body of work, but I don't like to hear comments like this.  It makes him seem unprofessional, and going into filming with a negative attitude.  I'm probably reading too much into it, but If I were him I wouldn't look at it as an "inconvenience", rather a once in a lifetime opportunity.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#192 of 1255 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts

Posted June 27 2013 - 05:10 PM

Heaven forbid a filmmaker would think of his family first. A year is a long time to be away from your kids.

I don't think Abrams is being too serious in his remarks though. If it was that big a deal, he could get out of the gig if he really wanted to, right?

#193 of 1255 Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 342 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted June 28 2013 - 09:47 PM

TheForce.net is reporting that the producers have now officially asked Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher to lose weight in advance of shooting.

I was aware that this would be a concern, and I certainly hope their involvement isn't predicated on reaching a certain weight. I also hope everyone involved understands how downright vicious some "fans" are going to be if they don't succeed. It's unlikely that very many of us will be able to attain the same shape in our 60s that we had in our 30s (not that I'm in great shape in my 30s! Lol)

I'm wondering if they plan to use the original cast in all 3 movies or just the first. While it's possible they may be able to whip themselves into shape long enough to shoot one movie, it may not be realistic to expect them to maintain over the next 4 or 5 years.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Home Theater Forum mobile app

IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#194 of 1255 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,596 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 09:34 AM

Heaven forbid a filmmaker would think of his family first. A year is a long time to be away from your kids.

I don't think Abrams is being too serious in his remarks though. If it was that big a deal, he could get out of the gig if he really wanted to, right?

There should be no reason why it can't be filmed in 2 months.

Like I said though, I probably read too much into it.  Going by his previous Comic-Con panels, Abrams does have a very blunt, and direct way of answering questions in interviews.  I still think he is the best man for the job, I just hope he is 100% into it when he directs.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#195 of 1255 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,596 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 09:36 AM

I'm wondering if they plan to use the original cast in all 3 movies or just the first. While it's possible they may be able to whip themselves into shape long enough to shoot one movie, it may not be realistic to expect them to maintain over the next 4 or 5 years.

I'm guessing just the first one.  I hope their screen time is as memorable as in the OT!

housekeeping 2.jpg

#196 of 1255 Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 342 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted June 29 2013 - 11:32 AM

Remember the second Ewok movie? In literally the first 5 minutes they kill off the entire family from the first movie, except for the little girl. I worry a bit about the fate of the original cast in this movie :(

IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#197 of 1255 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,717 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 29 2013 - 11:41 AM

I worry a bit about the fate of the original cast in this movie :(

I don't think they'll all be killed off but Han Solo certainly seems like the character most likely to die. However, since it's well known that Harrison Ford wanted the character to die in Return Of The Jedi that may be exactly what keeps him alive and they'll go for a surprise death like Princess Leia.

On a more positive note, I look forward to grizzled old Luke Skywalker doing some crazy Jedi moves.

#198 of 1255 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 12:37 AM

Remember the second Ewok movie? In literally the first 5 minutes they kill off the entire family from the first movie, except for the little girl. I worry a bit about the fate of the original cast in this movie :(

I often refer to it as the Alien 3 of the Star Wars universe. :D

After the fan reaction to Chewie's death in one of the novels, (the author got death threats) I doubt Lucasfilm really wants to go through that again.

• Stephen Brooks likes this

#199 of 1255 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 12:43 AM

There should be no reason why it can't be filmed in 2 months.

Like I said though, I probably read too much into it.  Going by his previous Comic-Con panels, Abrams does have a very blunt, and direct way of answering questions in interviews.  I still think he is the best man for the job, I just hope he is 100% into it when he directs.

How long did the prequels take to shoot?  I can't see a Star Wars film as being a simple undertaking no matter how far technology has advanced.

#200 of 1255 Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 05:53 AM

Lucas shot the Prequels at a more leisurely pace, sometimes taking weeks or even months off, then going back at it and doing reshoots, editing, etc.

I would think that JJA would work at a faster pace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users