Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Small screen size and a fixed distance for projector---HELP!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Nellie312

Nellie312

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 07:56 PM

Here is my set up. I have a 50" (Da-Lite square format) screen that is recessed into a pocket in front of my fireplace. I have an old projector (NEC VT670) and wanted to use it to project movies onto the screen, using a media cabinet placed behind my couch (12 feet from screen). The image at that distance FAR exceeds the screen size. For a bunch of reasons, moving the projector closer is not really workable. So, I am looking for help to either find a projector with a 48-50 inch horizontal projection at 12 feet or suggestions for a good screen that will maximize viewing area, but be no larger than 63" with case (the max I can extend the recessed area). Any suggestions? If I'm replacing the projector, I'd want a LED if possible, as I'm moving to solar panels and going off grid (please, no barbs about the obvious contradictions between Home Theater and solar :)) Been on projector central, but have no idea about any of the potential projectors in the real world (and some have $$tags of 15K or more, not within my budget.) I'd prefer to stay around $1200. Any advice is appreciated!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted November 04 2012 - 10:42 PM

I love my projector, but I would never use one with such a small screen size. Why not just use a flat panel TV in that spot? Your other option is to use a larger screen that drops down in front of the fireplace.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Nellie312

Nellie312

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 05:01 AM

Hi Jim: Thank you for the post! The TV was my first thought, but because the projection area is directly over the fireplace (actually a masonry heater), I'd been advised that the electronics wouldn't take the warmth. The screen I have retracts, so it's away from the radiant part of the heater most times. Also, there is no power to the area and I don't want t break the seal (the house is essentially airtight) to install the cabling/wiring. The larger screen is the ticket, I think, but because I am still limited in the size of the cavity into which the screen will fit, I want one with as little "edge banding" as possible. Nellie

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted November 05 2012 - 01:59 PM

Other than putting a TV or a larger screen somewhere else, I have no other advice. Limiting yourself to such a small screen size makes no sense to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users