What's new

HTF Hardware Reviews - Vote Here (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'd love to see some feedback from the community on which particular products or manufacturers you'd like to see reviews for. As we line up reviews for the next few months, I'd love to focus on the areas that you consider to be most important.
So if you have a suggestion, question or unreasonable demand - please post it here!
Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One thing I'd like to see...
A "cheap speaker" shoot-out. See what companies would like to play ball in the arena...
Sony SS-B1000
BIC DV62
Dayton B652
Infinity Primus P163

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Good idea Sam. What would you consider to be the price point that a system would have to be beneath to qualify for "cheap"?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'd like to see the latest Oppo blu-ray players reviewed, as well as some name-brand wifi-capable blu-ray players (and for those, before Christmas so I can shop accordingly.)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I would like to see some cheap amps reviewed. I'm thinking of adding 2 more channels to my HT setup and don't want to have to spend upwards of $500 for amplification.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My idea for "cheap" is under $200/pair. Sure it could be expanded to $300/pair for tower speakers.
But actually more of a "fuzzy" limit in price. Set it up as a "budget window" and choose speakers based on appropriate to each other in size...
IE, it would not be fair to put the Sony SSB3000 up against the DV62. But a comparo between the SSB3000 and Yamaha NS6490 would be.
Another would be the aforementioned BIC DV62/Yamaha NS-333/Mordaunt Carnival 1.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It would also be nice(if this is possible) to create a "great AV deal" thread...
Whenever anybody sees an Amazon Lightning deal...there is a dedicated thread for that???
An outstanding deal on a DLP from like HH Gregg...(I mean ads, not what you as a singular customer dealed a salesperson into giving you. Basically I could fill a thread like that all day long in one-offs nobody else could repeat)
Is that kind of thing allowed?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Absolutely allowed, and encouraged. Chances are we would prefer amazon links, as we are an affiliate and it helps run the site.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Well, I am going against the grain here and encourage reviews of more quality equipment. I have no interest in "cheap" crap and truth be told, you are not going to get much of a performance and quality difference amongst two hundred dollar pair of speakers but you will with say 1500 - 2000 dollar speakers. This one of my favorite sites to visit but not when it comes to finding good reviews on quality equipment. Our membership is rather diverse and while I can understand the limited budget of a college student, I do not think that is the majority of the membership here. Steve has the right idea with reviews on equipment like Oppo.

Also, the equipment should be HT equipment, not things like headphones, outdoor patio speakers and such. There are other sites for that.

And naturally, I would like objective reviews rather than those that can be skewed because of sponsorship through this site.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Gary Seven said:
Well, I am going against the grain here and encourage reviews of more quality equipment.  I have no interest in "cheap" crap and truth be told, you are not going to get much of a performance and quality difference amongst two hundred dollar pair of speakers but you will with say 1500 - 2000 dollar speakers.  This one of my favorite sites to visit but not when it comes to finding good reviews on quality equipment.  Our membership is rather diverse and while I can understand the limited budget of a college student, I do not think that is the majority of the membership here.  Steve has the right idea with reviews on equipment like Oppo.
Also, the equipment should be HT equipment, not things like headphones, outdoor patio speakers and such.  There are other sites for that. 
And naturally, I would like objective reviews rather than those that can be skewed because of sponsorship through this site.
I wasn't intending to not include quality gear...
But the "confused consumer" is more likely to be picking between Polk Monitor and Infinity Primus...
Not Salk and Wilson.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think internet-direct brands should be first up since you can't audition them without buying them first.
I also think it would be a great idea to review products at different points at the same time. Like a review of the Polk Monitor 30's vs the RTiA1's vs the LSi7's in the same review. Is the increase in cost really worth it? As an example, I have had the Infinity primus 163's, Beta 20's and Revel M12's over the last year or so and while the M12's were a better speaker they were not worth the extra cost over the 20's and 163's, unless price wasn't that important.
I'll also add 5.1 speaker packages like the ever popular Energy Take Classic and Boston Acoustics CS2310B.
The Bargains And Deals thread can be used for great buys but a sticky thread for each hardware group might be a good idea.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I too would like to see OPPO. Since I know someone here will get the Panasonic 3D Projector I would love to see an in depth review of that.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I like the idea of an inexpensive speaker comparison, but I'd extend it to speakers in 3 or 4 price ranges.
I'd also interested in reasonably priced amplifiers comparisons. Maybe two categories, under a grand and under 2 grand.
But for both categories, if everything reviewed is "good", if no actual comparative judgments are offered, then I'm much less interested.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Im with Gene. Internet direct manufactures would be great for reviews; Emotiva, Hsu and SVS are some of my favorites.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'll be featuring a Salk review in the next several months, so stay tuned for that. In the same vein, you can expect reviews from Axiom (confirmed), and Paradigm (entry level).
I'll begin working on Aperion, Infinity, and some entry level equipment as well.
I think we can also arrange an Oppo review in fairly short order, as well as an amplifier from Wyred4Sound and Emotiva.
Are there any specific AV Receivers, Amps or other speaker manufacturers that people would like to see?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Sounds like a pretty good list Dave, cant wait.
Emotiva specifics come to mind as they just launched a bunch of new new amps this year, I would imagine pro reviews would be scarce on the XPR-5, XPA-200, XPA-100, UPA-700 and UPA-500.....all brand new models :D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'd like to see reviews of the "elder brands" that aren't quite dead yet. May not be as regarded as they used to be, but hey...
DCM
Ohm
I'll think of more, but those two are a good start.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Type A said:
Sounds like a pretty good list Dave, cant wait.
Emotiva specifics come to mind as they just launched a bunch of new new amps this year, I would imagine pro reviews would be scarce on the XPR-5, XPA-200, XPA-100, UPA-700 and UPA-500.....all brand new models :D
That's a long list Ty! Any preference for a specific model?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
David Upton said:
That's a long list Ty! Any preference for a specific model?
Well it seems to me most in a home theater forum would be looking for either a 5 or 7 channel amp and perhaps their first-ever seperates rig.
Since most folks would never need a monster like the XPR-5 my vote would be for either the UPA-500 or UPA-700.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks