Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

How much of a difference will I notice with this upgrade?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 31 2012 - 11:23 AM

I have been running what most would call a low level Sony STR-DH800 for the last 3 years now. Come Christmas I will be upgrading to the Pioneer Elite SC-61. I run Boston Acoustics Horizon series for my front stage and Jamo towers for my rears so all my speakers can handle the power. What do you think my reaction will be to the difference in sound?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,455 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:31 PM

In absolute volume...not much. What you will get is an improvement in dynamic range.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 901 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted November 01 2012 - 01:12 AM

If you utilize the MCACC feature on your new Pioneer, you should enjoy a significant improvement in the overall presentation as it will correct many room acoustic related oddities that your Sony cannot, particularly integrating your subwoofer and mains. While I am a fan of Audyssey over MCACC in general, I think the overall improvement will be a more cohesive presentation, clearer dialogue and much smoother bass/mid-bass interaction.

#4 of 9 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 01 2012 - 07:35 PM

Yeah I've been doing alot of research in to the MCAAC and not many are impressed by it. I've also read some are not happy with the video processing in that model. What else would you guys recommend in the $1000 and below range? Thanks for any help!

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,455 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 03:44 AM

Depends on what you need in the AVR and what you are going to hook up to it... NAS? Ipod/Ipad? Computer? VHS? Camcorder? Turntable? CD player? Want/need... Multi-zone? Ipad/droid control? Height/width? Macro remote? Have... More than 1 display?

#6 of 9 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 02 2012 - 04:57 AM

Honestly I dont need all the bells and whistles. All I am running is a PS3 for Bluray and a cable box. Straight movie buff here. I only run 5.1 but would like 7.1 just to expand my future options.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 901 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted November 02 2012 - 06:14 AM

If your primary goal is SQ and you don't need 3D, then I lean towards the Onkyo TX-NR3007. If you want 3D capability, then a great offering right now is the TX-NR1009 , which gives up some amp capacity for 3D features.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,455 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 09:05 AM

If you are really willing to spend 4 digits... http://www.anthemav....eceiver/mrx-300

#9 of 9 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 02 2012 - 09:08 AM

Yeah all I want is the best audio and video processing I can get for under a $1000. That Onkyo looks nice, I hope I can find one for that price when I'm looking to buy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users