What's new

Crappy Blu ray Packaging ! (1 Viewer)

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
Why is it that we get slightly better discs with blu ray, but the packaging get crappier ?
Before we got sturdy keep cases and now we get these flimsy cardboard sleeves that is even WORSE than the " snap cases" we finally managed the studio to discontinue
when we are double dipping for the 2nd or 3d time to buy a bu-ray as the FINAL version of a favorite movie WHY do we need to get cases that rupture and scratch the dick
its not fair to the consumer !!
Petition the Studios to give us BLU RAY keep cases, we the consumer has paid premium price and should get a premium product all the way !
a good example is the hitch set that came out in a sturdy box with keep cases -and NOW in blu ray we get these stupid cardboard sleeves
the same with the ALIEN & INDY sets !!!
--

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/324830/crappy-blu-ray-packaging#post_3995779
Clearly, you're using it incorrectly.

I was going to point that out at well.

A very good argument can be made that this packaging IS a premium and better than plastic cases.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
He has a point in that the bane of many modern boxed sets is relying to heavily on cardboard sleeves. While blu-rays aren't affected much due to their general scratch resistance and may be arguable better at conserving space, they wreak havoc on any new DVD set. And the Hitchcock set isn't that bad compared to some of the outright lazy box set packaging of MGM/Fox lately.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Jason_V said:
A very good argument can be made that this packaging IS a premium and better than plastic cases.
Then by all means, make the argument. Because these kinds of packages seem cheap, tacky, and difficult to use to me. They're easily damaged, and make it difficult to remove the discs without handling them roughly.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by cafink /t/324830/crappy-blu-ray-packaging#post_3995800
Then by all means, make the argument. Because these kinds of packages seem cheap, tacky, and difficult to use to me. They're easily damaged, and make it difficult to remove the discs without handling them roughly.

Got it.

So, if the general mass releases are sitting in blue plastic cases, in some cases with giant holes in the sides for eco packaging, the big releases need to be distinguished on the shelf.

How do the studios do that?

Shelf space friendly, attractive packaging.

While I'm not a big fan of boxes like Bond, having 22 individual cases on the shelf can look tacky. The boxes CAN look elegant and special as long as they are designed correctly. The original Bond's on BD (the three film sets) were bad. I don't have a problem with Alien or Indiana Jones.

With big names like Hitchcock, the studio wants the release to sit more prominently on the retailers shelf. Getting out of the regular case does that. It also draws attention to itself on the home shelf.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have the Alien Anthology set, and find it to be the best of these deluxe sets. The discs are housed in individual pages with a semicircular cutout from which you retrieve the discs. There is even a thumb notch so you can handle the discs by their edges. Part of the reason for going this route is the scratch-resistant layer on BDs, which opens up the packaging possibilities somewhat. My Alien set has not become damaged from repeated removal and insertion of the discs, as the cardstock used for the upper layer of the "page" is very sturdy, and there are no scratches on my discs. I note that Fox went the same route for the Bond set. Given the choice between "eco-friendly" blu boxes with the ridiculous cutouts to save plastic and this method, I opt for the cardstock. I don't like the packaging for the Indiana Jones set because the discs are in "slots" in the pages, which will wear out much faster than the cutout method described above. Pictures I've seen of the Hitchcock box show it is the same setup, but Uni has a reputation for shoddy packaging (need I remind you of the ridiculous packages for Battlestar Galactica and the Back to the Future trilogy?). If a set is more than 5-6 discs, it necessitates an alternate form of packaging. Even if the Bonds were divided into 5-disc blu boxes, it would be cumbersome on the shelf. If the distributor can produce something that is aesthetically pleasing that protects the discs, that is the way to go.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Jason_V said:
Got it.
So, if the general mass releases are sitting in blue plastic cases, in some cases with giant holes in the sides for eco packaging, the big releases need to be distinguished on the shelf.
How do the studios do that?
Shelf space friendly, attractive packaging.
While I'm not a big fan of boxes like Bond, having 22 individual cases on the shelf can look tacky.  The boxes CAN look elegant and special as long as they are designed correctly.  The original Bond's on BD (the three film sets) were bad.  I don't have a problem with Alien or Indiana Jones. 
With big names like Hitchcock, the studio wants the release to sit more prominently on the retailers shelf.  Getting out of the regular case does that.  It also draws attention to itself on the home shelf. 
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable argument for why a studio would like their "big releases" to stand out on the store shelf. But I'm not a studio, I'm a customer. What benefit do these funky have for me?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think I embedded it in that argument.

Looks nicer on my home shelf, makes something with prestige stand out, potentially more durable packaging. There is an age old debate over cover art (do we watch the movie or the cover art) and this is similar.

Do we look at the package or the movie? For me, it's the movie and don't care if the box is pretty. But I'm sure some people do.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Jason_V said:
I think I embedded it in that argument. 
Looks nicer on my home shelf, makes something with prestige stand out, potentially more durable packaging.  There is an age old debate over cover art (do we watch the movie or the cover art) and this is similar.
Do we look at the package or the movie?  For me, it's the movie and don't care if the box is pretty.  But I'm sure some people do. 
The best case for DVDs remains the original Amarays. The regular Blu-ray case (not eco-friendly) is the closest to that for disc protection and low-likelihood of disc damage in use. Replacing and trashing an "eco-friendly" is pretty easy; just order from Sleve City or other such. Those "prestige" cases offer little protection with more opportunity for damage -- and designing custom covers for the disks is a pain in the neck.
Therefore, give me standard cases. Second choice is the "eco-friendly" which I can replace and trash (or use to give away the DVDs that come with some Blus). I can live without "prestige."
But to each his or her own. As long as I can get a standard case, they can make as much special packaging as they think they can sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks