What's new

Disney buys LucasFilms for $4.05 billion (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/10/30/mickey-meet-yoda-disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05-billion/

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
http://blog.sfgate.com/bottomline/2012/10/30/disney-buys-lucasfilm-for-4-billion/
Just when you thought the HTF Fanboy Wars ended with the BluRay SW set ;)
George has gone on record about how hurt he felt by the sometimes savage criticism the prequels came in for, and that he was done with SW. I guess this is his way of both ensuring a golden retirement for himself, and to allow his baby to continue on for pretty much ever, as Disney isn't about to let SW sit idle.
For all their flaws, I still love the prequels, and while I'm giddy at the idea of an actual sequel trilogy, I will miss George's touch, crap dialogue and all.
PS-- I wonder if this means OOT on Blu at last???

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I guess I was composing my post as you posted this. Patrick, could I request that my now-redundant thread be merged into this one?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know how this is good for the consumer as Disney becomes even larger than the 800 lb Gorilla it is now.

Crawdaddy

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Woohoo!!! Star Wars 7 - The Return of Good Star Wars Movies!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get Pixar and/or Brad Bird involved!

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
If Disney has the common sense to keep Lucas as far away from this new trilogy as possible then I might be able to muster up some bit of enthusiasm for it.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Hopefully this means Lucas will actually follow through on his "small indie films that no one will like" mantra as he will not need to worry about the operations of a large company.

The Star Wars news can go either way. I doubt Lucas will be involved much more than a general consultant, so it if they get some solid creative talent behind it they could be good, especially since they will need to establish new characters right away that need to appeal to the masses to keep a film franchise going. I'm sure Disney is already looking for a Marvel-like brain trust.

Disney owning ILM could be an interesting development to watch as well.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Crap, I didn't see this thread, I posted too quick, you can kill the other one.. quote from Disney:

The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years. We're very happy that George Lucas will be creative consultant on our new Star Wars films and that Kathleen Kennedy, the current Co-Chair of Lucasfilm, will executive produce. George handpicked Kathy earlier this year to lead Lucasfilm into the future. She'll join Disney as President of Lucasfilm, reporting into Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn and integrating and building the Star Wars franchise across our company.

Please, Disney, you already have a deal with Timothy Zahn.. do the right thing here, give us THRAWN!!!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Lucas Comment:

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said Lucas. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime.”

Lucas value in this transaction: 2.1xxxxB Well, not a bad day at the office.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by BobO'Link /t/324825/disney-buys-lucasfilms-for-4-05-billion#post_3995403
Maybe now we'll finally get the remastered anamorphic theatrical versions of Eps. IV-VI...

They just said that Fox still has distribution rights for SW 1-6, which means it's unlikely new releases are imminent.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/324825/disney-buys-lucasfilms-for-4-05-billion#post_3995409

They just said that Fox still has distribution rights for SW 1-6, which means it's unlikely new releases are imminent.
How long does that deal lasts?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/324825/disney-buys-lucasfilms-for-4-05-billion#post_3995390
First Marvel and now Lucas. The Mouse is on the march!

I said the same thing to a work friend. Marvel, Pixar and now LucasFilm. What's next?

This is just really mind blowing right now...

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The one thing that makes me sad about the Disney deal? No more 20th Century Fox logo. For years, until I started watching other movies, other Fox movies, the Fox Fanfare was part of the Star Wars theme. As a little kid back in the seventies, listening to the Story of Star Wars hundreds of times over and over again, the two were inseparable in my mind. Even today it just doesn't seem right to have the theme sans Fanfare.
So Disney Castle instead of spotlights? I'll miss the way it was. . . .

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/324825/disney-buys-lucasfilms-for-4-05-billion#post_3995411
How long does that deal lasts?

Only they know, but it wouldn't surprise me that when they got rights to the PT that they made sure they had longstanding ones.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
On the way home from school, my kids and I were just laughing about Star Wars remade with the Disney characters. Imagine, if you will, Vader's dramatic reveal to Luke from Empire, but with Darth Goofy and Mickey Skywalker instead. We were cracking up doing the voices in the car!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks