• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#21 of 212 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,511 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:14 AM

Well, have at it! Darth Vader/ Emperor Zurg crossover time? Has anyone's head exploded yet at the thought that the dialogue in the next Star Wars movie will be written not by George Lucas, but possibly by someone who works in a building with the word "PIXAR" on it?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#22 of 212 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,048 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:17 AM

I admit that I'm very intrigued to see what someone other than George Lucas will do with Star Wars in movie form but having read plenty of Lucas-free SW novels and comics over the years, it certainly doesn't guarantee great or even remotely good results.

#23 of 212 OFFLINE   kenkraly20212

kenkraly20212

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:19 AM

Wow this is huge news indeed. We will see a new Star Wars film in 2015. Can't wait.

#24 of 212 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:24 AM

For Apple fans, the other good news in this is that the likelihood of Star Wars available through iTunes just shot through the damn roof.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#25 of 212 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:27 AM

Lucas Official Comment

trakt.tv

#26 of 212 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,048 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:32 AM

^ Thanks for the video, Matt. Whatever happens, I love the idea that being with Disney absolutely guarantees that Star Wars will be around for a loooooong time in some form.

#27 of 212 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:38 AM

Iger clarifies.. Disney has rights to all Star Wars, ASAP, Fox has no more distribution rights.   Indy stays at Paramount for now.  Disney also is planning extension in the universe for Disney XD (animated) series, so figure Clone Wars to move or change.

http://www.deadline....movies-planned/

trakt.tv

#28 of 212 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:39 AM

I can only see better things coming from this. This franchise could do great things again if others were allowed in play in that toy box of history and characters.
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#29 of 212 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

First Marvel and now Lucas.  The Mouse is on the march!

I guess Marvel Studios REALLY wanted the rights to Howard the Duck back Posted Image.

#30 of 212 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

Iger clarifies.. Disney has rights to all Star Wars, ASAP, Fox has no more distribution rights.   Indy stays at Paramount for now.  Disney also is planning extension in the universe for Disney XD (animated) series, so figure Clone Wars to move or change.

http://www.deadline....movies-planned/

To clarify:

"There are some encumbrances with the first Stars Wars films with Fox and some encumbrances with Indiana Jones with Paramount,” said Rasulo. Iger said that, while he “loves the franchise,” the Indiana Jones films were not a big factor in the deal because of Paramount’s rights to the franchise. Fox has no future distribution rights to any further Star Wars films, the execs said.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#31 of 212 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,702 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:02 AM

I haven't even read the article yet (I'm hoping there's no prohibition against releasing the OOT in the future in high definition), but I have to ask: Was I the only one who read this thread's headline and had to check if it wasn't April 1? :laugh: I'll have more comments once I get up to speed on all the happenings. Of course we all know that Disney is no stranger to never re-releasing original versions of things (Song of the South), But of course if latent racism was the reasoning behind that, we may never see the unedited prequels...or they may completely re-dub Jar Jar and the Trade Federation. :D

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#32 of 212 OFFLINE   Brian Sallot

Brian Sallot

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:03 AM

All I can say is..this is a shocker. I can only hope that Star Wars can now live up to the potential that the original trilogy had started. I also hope there is a possible future release of the original trilogy on bluray. I have a couple of  hopes but only time will tell.

Later everyone.

#33 of 212 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,537 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:04 AM

Maybe now we'll finally get the remastered anamorphic theatrical versions of Eps. IV-VI...

That was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news of the sale.

#34 of 212 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:08 AM

Maybe now we'll finally get the remastered anamorphic theatrical versions of Eps. IV-VI...

If the pent-up demand, ranting and clamor are any indication, Disney will get back half their investment just from the release of those 3 films.

#35 of 212 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,048 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:08 AM

That was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news of the sale.

Considering all the trouble he's gone to change the originals and not release them, I'd be surprised if the sale didn't allow Lucas to still keep the 'old' versions buried. I've love to be wrong though.

#36 of 212 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:11 AM

And then there's this fear!!

#37 of 212 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:12 AM

The thing I'm really hopeful for here doesn't even involve Star Wars.  It involves two dead franchises at LucasArts that were going to be films but then stopped.

The Curse of Monkey Island (originally a film concept in 2000, it stopped)

And Orson Scott Card's brilliant "The Dig"

trakt.tv

#38 of 212 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:15 AM

For that kind of scratch, I doubt if Disney made any such allocation. I think Disney will work out some kind of mutually beneficial deal with Fox to get some new discs out, and they will likely be the ones we've been waiting for.

#39 of 212 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:31 AM

The one thing that makes me sad about the Disney deal? No more 20th Century Fox logo. For years, until I started watching other movies, other Fox movies, the Fox Fanfare was part of the Star Wars theme. As a little kid back in the seventies, listening to the Story of Star Wars hundreds of times over and over again, the two were inseparable in my mind. Even today it just doesn't seem right to have the theme sans Fanfare. So Disney Castle instead of spotlights? I'll miss the way it was. . . .

If you think that's bad, wait until they try to further the Indiana Jones franchise and have to figure out a way to dissolve from the Disney castle logo to a matching, castle-like shape!

#40 of 212 OFFLINE   Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 455 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:40 AM

I love the idea that being with Disney absolutely guarantees that Star Wars will be around for a loooooong time in some form.

Disney also is planning extension in the universe for Disney XD (animated) series, so figure Clone Wars to move or change.

Yeah, well, it will be around but in the form of animation, not sure that's what I'd like...;) A bad feeling I have about this...
/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users