http://thewaltdisney...e-lucasfilm-ltd http://www.forbes.co...r-4-05-billion/
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 212 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:21 AM

http://blog.sfgate.c...-for-4-billion/ Just when you thought the HTF Fanboy Wars ended with the BluRay SW set ;) George has gone on record about how hurt he felt by the sometimes savage criticism the prequels came in for, and that he was done with SW. I guess this is his way of both ensuring a golden retirement for himself, and to allow his baby to continue on for pretty much ever, as Disney isn't about to let SW sit idle. For all their flaws, I still love the prequels, and while I'm giddy at the idea of an actual sequel trilogy, I will miss George's touch, crap dialogue and all. PS-- I wonder if this means OOT on Blu at last???
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#3 of 212 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:24 AM

I guess I was composing my post as you posted this. Patrick, could I request that my now-redundant thread be merged into this one?
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#4 of 212 Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit

• 453 posts
  • LocationCastaic, CA

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:28 AM

Holy Cow! Another Star Wars film!? There's no way they could screw that up!

#5 of 212 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,508 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:32 AM

I don't know how this is good for the consumer as Disney becomes even larger than the 800 lb Gorilla it is now.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 212 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:35 AM

Woohoo!!! Star Wars 7 - The Return of Good Star Wars Movies!!!!!!!!!!!! Get Pixar and/or Brad Bird involved!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#7 of 212 Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:39 AM

If Disney has the common sense to keep Lucas as far away from this new trilogy as possible then I might be able to muster up some bit of enthusiasm for it.

#8 of 212 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,742 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:41 AM

First Marvel and now Lucas.  The Mouse is on the march!

#9 of 212 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:44 AM

Hopefully this means Lucas will actually follow through on his "small indie films that no one will like" mantra as he will not need to worry about the operations of a large company.

The Star Wars news can go either way. I doubt Lucas will be involved much more than a general consultant, so it if they get some solid creative talent behind it they could be good, especially since they will need to establish new characters right away that need to appeal to the masses to keep a film franchise going. I'm sure Disney is already looking for a Marvel-like brain trust.

Disney owning ILM could be an interesting development to watch as well.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 212 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 807 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:48 AM

Is Disney trying to be the next WB? When will these monopolies stop?

#11 of 212 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:49 AM

Crap, I didn't see this thread, I posted too quick, you can kill the other one.. quote from Disney:

The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years. We're very happy that George Lucas will be creative consultant on our new Star Wars films and that Kathleen Kennedy, the current Co-Chair of Lucasfilm, will executive produce. George handpicked Kathy earlier this year to lead Lucasfilm into the future. She'll join Disney as President of Lucasfilm, reporting into Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn and integrating and building the Star Wars franchise across our company.

Please, Disney, you already have a deal with Timothy Zahn.. do the right thing here, give us THRAWN!!!

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#12 of 212 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:51 AM

Maybe now we'll finally get the remastered anamorphic theatrical versions of Eps. IV-VI...

#13 of 212 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:01 AM

Lucas Comment:

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said Lucas. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime.”

Lucas value in this transaction: 2.1xxxxB  Well, not a bad day at the office.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#14 of 212 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link 

Maybe now we'll finally get the remastered anamorphic theatrical versions of Eps. IV-VI...

They just said that Fox still has distribution rights for SW 1-6, which means it's unlikely new releases are imminent.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 212 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,508 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

They just said that Fox still has distribution rights for SW 1-6, which means it's unlikely new releases are imminent.

How long does that deal lasts?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 212 MattBradley

MattBradley

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'm taking this as exciting news! I am so happy about the news!
What is understood need not be discussed.

#17 of 212 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,695 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

First Marvel and now Lucas.  The Mouse is on the march!

I said the same thing to a work friend.  Marvel, Pixar and now LucasFilm.  What's next?

This is just really mind blowing right now...

#18 of 212 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,609 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:06 AM

The one thing that makes me sad about the Disney deal? No more 20th Century Fox logo. For years, until I started watching other movies, other Fox movies, the Fox Fanfare was part of the Star Wars theme. As a little kid back in the seventies, listening to the Story of Star Wars hundreds of times over and over again, the two were inseparable in my mind. Even today it just doesn't seem right to have the theme sans Fanfare. So Disney Castle instead of spotlights? I'll miss the way it was. . . .

#19 of 212 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

How long does that deal lasts?

Only they know, but it wouldn't surprise me that when they got rights to the PT that they made sure they had longstanding ones.

#20 of 212 Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 411 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:12 AM

On the way home from school, my kids and I were just laughing about Star Wars remade with the Disney characters. Imagine, if you will, Vader's dramatic reveal to Luke from Empire, but with Darth Goofy and Mickey Skywalker instead. We were cracking up doing the voices in the car!
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users