What's new

rights to access fuse box (1 Viewer)

bethankful

Auditioning
Real Name
betsy
I live in a 2 family home and my nieghbor is convinced that she owns the home. The basement is divided into to sides for storage for both tenents.. the side she is on is were the electric boxs are located theirs and mine.. they took it upon them selves to barricade it and add a lock.. so I don't have access.. I thought only the lanlord could do that?? Do I have rights?? Isn't it against the law because she is only a tenent?? Also the landlord is fed up with their actions?? What can I do??

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It depends a lot on the laws of your state. It sounds like the landlord is on your side, so I would talk to him or her about it. Chances are the landlord has legal representation who might know what to do. It also sounds like you and your neighbor might not be on the best of terms, but unless you're already at the point where you're not communicating at all, the first thing to do would be to approach her in a reasonable way about having some sort of arrangement for if/ when you need to access the circuit breaker. Better to try and get along; you live under the same roof!
I can understand why your neighbors would want to protect their storage area, but there are probably restrictions about preventing access to the circuit breakers.
Good luck!

bethankful

Auditioning
Real Name
betsy
Yes I do agree with protecting your property, to an exstream. also yes we are on horrorable terms.this is just one of the long list of things. There is no reasoning with her and the landlord has spoke to her and doesn't make a difference.. so because we can't agree to disagree I am trying to find another way.. I am pregnant and go to school and work fulltime,I am to exhausted! I would love to make peace cuase yes we live under the same roof.. but doesn't seen like that will happen anytime soon.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I hope you aren't giving money to an online "for profit" school.
Otherwise...
No, the other dwelling occupant does not have the right to block access to an EMERGENCY AREA of the home.
In Indiana, if a surge box is behind locked doors, it has to be manned 24hrs. Even apartment buildings have the fuse box in an open area of the building. And, I'm sure that is grounds for eviction...if the landlord sees fit to pursue it.

bethankful

Auditioning
Real Name
betsy
I'm not sure what you ment. But no I'm not receiving a profit for anything!! Thanks for the info tho.. I will gladly let my landlord know!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
By "for-profit" he was referring to the school. There are a lot of places offering online degrees that are more interested in collecting tuition than in providing a quality education.
You'd be better off taking free online courses offered by various more respectable institutions, like MIT.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I wasn't offering "advice on school"...
I was merely reflecting on the (I hope this is what it is) typing "skills" in association with "going to school"...
As in, I hope you were simply upset and typing fast...and not turning in "homework" with your expertise of Engrish language skills...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by bethankful /t/324798/rights-to-access-fuse-box#post_3995257
I never said I was interested in info for school!!???

Just a nice side effect resulting from signing up to a Home Theater Forum to ask for legal advice on a fuse box issue--more free advice about schooling!

Consider it a value-added bonus!

Personally, I can't believe your neighbor cut off your access to the circuit breakers in a shared basement situation. Your landlord should insist they take down whatever they erected.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Whatever Sam is getting at seems inappropriate to me. Either way take the other advice offered here.
Make sure your landlord gets that cover off the fuse box or circuit Bix whichever it is.
Also, welcome to Home Theater Forum.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
OK...
I'll admit to being a little bit inappropriate in my response...but...
This IS a legal issue. It needs to be documented in written form if the landlord can't get the other tenant to fix this issue on their own. If the landlord cannot, it will require an eviction and the landlord to spend money they may not have to correct the situation.
This person needs to write a letter and mail it to the both parties...certified. It won't be taken seriously is not written correctly. So, call me inappropriate...but it is time for her to put on some big girl panties...
If this was a simple typing issue, great. If not...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, I volunteer at a VA center here. I've taken issue with for profit schools(won't name which ones, cause that "could be" political??? And we know this forums stance on that) cornering returning vets into going to school. Yes, the stories you read about injured vets with head injuries getting taken to the cleaners by X school...
I've handed off various "slam dunk" cases to attorneys to get student loans redacted.

bethankful

Auditioning
Real Name
betsy
Oh I see, sarcasim! You must be bored! Well let me let you on to something. This is a forum, if you are not pleased with what I wrote or how I wrote it feel free to mind your f#*king business.. For those that genuinely commented with good intentions, thank u! Also I apologize ahead atime but I don't tolerate ignorance!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
A couple misspelled words and a comma or two and you are assuming she goes to a cheap online school.
Either way it has nothing to do with her problem with the breaker box.
:rolleyes:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sarcasm aside...(ahem...)
What you should do to make your landlord act...but check with your local jurisdiction before you do this...
Put your rent in a separate account, sort of like an escrow. That way you are paying your rent, but your landlord can't have it till the situation is resolved.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It sounds like the landlord is already on Betsy's side, and that he wants this fixed as much as she does. I don't think she should do anything to antagonize him.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm a little confused by this thread...

Bottom line - this is an issue for the landlord to deal with. Period. A tenant should not be responsible for resolving issues caused by another tenant.

The landlord can and should order the offending tenant to stop and take action should it continue. I assume this to be several notices, followed by eviction orders.

There are far more appropriate places to discuss this issue:

http://absoluteca.websitetoolbox.com/
http://www.ezlandlordforms.com/forum/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks