Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Fear and Desire -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,250 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:10 PM

I've got to be honest.   Stanley Kubrick's 1953 Fear and Desire, from Kino via a restoration by the Library of Congress, is for Kubrick completists only.  It's an interesting little film, but the reality of the situation is that interest will come from those who seek to see how it fits into his growth as a filmmaker, and how it relates to later productions.   The overall quality is quite astounding.  The resolution, shadow detail and other cinematic attributes are front and center.  Keep in mind that this is an analogue restoration, which means that occasionally minus density if par for the course.   Also included is The Seafarers, a 28 minute documentary, also directed by Mr. Kubrick.  It appears via preservation by The Museum of Modern Art, with funding from The Film Foundation.   For Kubrick fans, this is the stuff that dreams are made of.   Image - 4.5   Audio - 5   Highly Recommended.   RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Paul Thrussell

Paul Thrussell

Extra

• 20 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB, Canada

Posted October 28 2012 - 06:49 PM

The fact that Kubrick's attempts to suppress this early effort haven't stopped it from seeing release, not too many years after his passing, gives me hope for the eventual re-release of the original unadulterated Star Wars films. That being said, I don't believe Kubrick owned the rights to this film, nor did he have his own personal empire in the Lucasfilm vein to preserve his intentions for the future, but the (very small) optimist in me is still hopeful. :)

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:21 AM

I was hoping that DAY OF THE FIGHT and FLYING PADRE would be included on this set. FEAR AND DESIRE isn't that great of a movie -- I saw it at the Egyptian a couple of years ago -- but it's interesting enough and would make for the bottom third of a good triple bill with Sam Fuller's THE STEEL HELMET and Anthony Mann's MEN IN WAR.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,498 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 29 2012 - 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cappelletty /t/324784/a-few-words-about-fear-and-desire-in-blu-ray#post_3994908 I was hoping that DAY OF THE FIGHT and FLYING PADRE would be included on this set
I was hoping this too. The odds of them getting a separate release is slim to none. I will still be grabbing this though of course.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Paul Thrussell

Paul Thrussell

Extra

• 20 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB, Canada

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:37 PM

The fact that Kubrick's attempts to suppress this early effort haven't stopped it from seeing release, not too many years after his passing, gives me hope for the eventual re-release of the original unadulterated Star Wars films. That being said, I don't believe Kubrick owned the rights to this film, nor did he have his own personal empire in the Lucasfilm vein to preserve his intentions for the future, but the (very small) optimist in me is still hopeful. :)
Speak of the devil! Very curious to see what Disney decides to do now, assuming their hands aren't tied.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor

• 523 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted November 01 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'm one of those Kubrick fans and had to get this to complete the collection on BD.   Also looking forward to going to the Kubrick exhibition in LA this weekend. It has been touring the world for 6 years and now it's at the LACMA until June 2013.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'm one of those Kubrick fans and had to get this to complete the collection on BD. Also looking forward to going to the Kubrick exhibition in LA this weekend. It has been touring the world for 6 years and now it's at the LACMA until June 2013.
As soon as I get this one, I'll have everything except Spartacus on BD. I'm still waiting on Criterion to release the BD of that..... Hurry up guys!!! Granted, I just watched the SD DVD Criterion I have, and it still looks pretty damn good, even compared to some of my HD BD's I've got!

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 968 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted November 23 2012 - 04:08 AM

Masters of Cinema announced this morning that they have managed to get the other two shorts for their release, completing Kubrick's filmography on Blu-ray

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,266 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted November 23 2012 - 11:37 AM

For those with Region B capable players...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 968 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted November 23 2012 - 12:05 PM

For those with Region B capable players...
Naturally. Americans still have us beat by quite a long shot though, having Killer's Kiss, The Killing and Paths of Glory exclusive to Region A. What a joke this region coding nonsense is, especially when it's so easy subvert.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,266 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:20 PM

Also Kino is pretty terrible when compared to MoC. Where's our commentary on Metropolis? They charge an arm and a leg but don't go the extra mile in most cases.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Producer

• 3,338 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:44 PM

Not a great film, but one I was very happy to finally pick up. For years, all I had was a very battered looking bootlegged VHS, so it's nice to have this on my shelf in something quite a bit better than that. It almost played like one of those hour-long Twilight Zone episodes crossed with the middle section of All Quiet On The Western Front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users