Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Dark Shadows (2012) -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,596 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:03 AM

An interesting choice for what is currently the eighth film in which Johnny Depp has been directed by Tim Burton.

Based upon the 1960s TV series of the same name, the 2012 version of the concept starts out beautifully.  I'm a sucker for nicely done digital work, and the recreation of 18th century locations immediately whet my appetite for more.

All of this begins with the beautiful original 1970s Warner logo, which places you in a '70s state of mind.

But things don't go quite as well for the rest of the film.  While it's certainly a fun ride, there's just something missing.

Warner's new Blu-ray of the 2012 version is a beauty, however.  The earlier films are all being released on Blu-ray by WB, although I've not yet seen them.  The entire original TV series is already available, for those who can't get enough.

Bottom line here is that this is a gorgeous Blu-ray of a film that doesn't quite come together.  For those Depp or Burton completists, WB has made the addition of the film to one's library extremely painless.  Without DVD, it can be had for under $10 at Amazon, which is quite a bit less than a single theatrical admission.

Shot on film, and taken through post as 2k DI, Dark Shadows on Blu-ray is a quality disc.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 5 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:55 AM

I picked up the BLU today at Best Buy for 14.99 and I thought the WB opening logo was te same one shown in theaters and to me it is the current logo with some different background tinting / Jut checked it and it is the current logo. I think you were watching Magic Mike and afraid to tell us :-)

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,596 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger 

I picked up the BLU today at Best Buy for 14.99 and I thought the WB opening logo was te same one shown in theaters and to me it is the current logo with some different background tinting / Jut checked it and it is the current logo.
I think you were watching Magic Mike and afraid to tell us :-)

True.

Magic Mike was actually far more interesting that I thought it might be.  And isn't what I thought it was.  Which is a good thing.  Never been to a male strip club.  Ever.  Not my thing.  Nor have I ever been a male stripper.  Possibly a lead-in comedy act.

That was to be my next post.  Long day, and longer ones to come with weather closing in.  I've previewed nine discs, and will post as I find a few moments.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:25 PM

RAH - check the name of the production entity for Magic Mike and you'll see what Soderbergh's inspiration for his take on the script was.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,020 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:10 PM

I wonder why Amazon dropped the price and it's due to BB again.  Anyhow, I ordered it and should watch it later this week.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users