Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Hoffa -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,986 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:45 PM

I recall my initial reactions to Danny DeVito's Hoffa, which I saw theatrically in 1992.   First and foremost, was the performance by Jack Nicholson.  I rate it among his best.  The supporting cast was equally superb, and beautifully directed.   My next thought was "what unbelievably great transitions!"   Hoffa holds up today, and stands the test of time, while many films do not.   All of this would be moot if Fox's new Blu-ray of what I consider to be a brilliant film did not live up to the quality of the base element.   And I'm thrilled that it does.  In spaces.   The new Filmmaker's Signature Series Blu-ray is very much like watching a 35mm print in your home theater.  Just beautiful.   Resolution, color, densities, grain structure, shadow detail, all appears to have been translated from film to disc intact.  Audio, which comes to us via DTS-HD MA, is perfect.  Originally presented in major cities in prints blown up to 70mm.   A wonderful film.   A great Blu-ray.   Image - 5   Audio - 5   Very Highly Recommended.   RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,235 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:37 PM

Couldn't agree more, as I said in the War of the Roses thread, those Hoffa transitions were a huge influence on my filmmaking. I wore this out on the LD box set and this disc is glorious.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,780 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:00 PM

I wasn't a huge fan of HOFFA when I first watched it theatrically- in fact, the only time I've ever watched the film. It struck me as being technically very precise and controlled, but left me cold. In retrospect, my memories of it remind me of my reactions to certain films of David Fincher films that don't work for me- technically incredible, but maybe a bit too precise, if that makes sense. Still, glad to hear this Blu-ray getting getting great notices, maybe it's time for me to revisit this. No doubt, Mr. DeVito is a gifted filmmaker who obviously LOVES the medium. Vincent

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:28 PM

This is the kind of review that causes me to buy something I wouldn't otherwise have bought. The studios should start thinking that excellent work on the mastering etc. will result in more sales. Thank you.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   lark144

lark144

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:00 PM

This is the kind of review that causes me to buy something I wouldn't otherwise have bought. The studios should start thinking that excellent work on the mastering etc. will result in more sales. Thank you.
+1 There are films that, while wonderful, I don't necessarily need to own, and I think HOFFA is one of them. However, Mr. Harris' review has caused me to reconsider. Since buying a Blu ray player last year, I confess that I am collecting much more towards a consideration of the cinematic qualities of the release, and therefore find Mr. Harris' column extremely helpful.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 11:42 AM

Saw a 70mm blow up of Hoffa on its release in late 1992. As is the case with 70mm blow ups, fantastic audio. Another cool thing (back then) was that the previews were also 70mm blow ups as well. And guess what also had fantastic sound? The preview for Body of Evidence.

So that's my lasting memory of seeing Hoffa in 70mm. The great audio of a preview for a really bad Madonna movie. Memories are funny things.

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users