Warner

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#81 of 124 OFFLINE   Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:18 AM

The Right Stuff? OMG, finally. This is going to be epic.
Lyxdesics of the lowrd untie!

#82 of 124 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:12 AM

Here's a bit of a tricky question - are there any current WB Blu-rays out currently that you would recommend holding off on getting in case WB does revisit them over the 90th anniversary? I'm especially wary of titles like Unforgiven and The Searchers since they seem likely, less so Mutiny on the Bounty or Adventures of Robin Hood. I know it's hard to predict and difficult to answer, I'd just hate to wish list stuff for Christmas just to be asking for it again six months later with a new sound mix or improved image quality.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#83 of 124 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:41 AM

I'm holding off on "Interview with the Vampire." I hope they re-do this one and in a digibook.

#84 of 124 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted November 10 2012 - 04:02 PM

Did see both The Right Stuff and Giant on one of the HD channels and both looked great...more so with Giant since the dvd releases were not the best. As for The Magnificent Ambersons i do wish they will release it with Criterion since they did release years ago a good looking laserdisc with extras on it.

#85 of 124 ONLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,837 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:03 PM

Sorry, but I'm at the age (64) where I don't purchase stuff just to have it. I only get flicks that I enjoyed in the theaters or in some cases TV -- and I'm not interested in yet another release of Wizard or Gone. On the other hand, I'm glad for the folks who find some of their favorites on this list.

That's pretty much my position too. Also, I don't purchase BRDs just for the sake of upgrading. If the DVD is good and it's not one of my absolute all-time favorite movies, I'll pass unless the BRD is an astonishing improvement. On the other hand, I do take Robert Crawford's point that we movie-lovers have to buy some of these BRDs to provide an incentive for more films to be released in high definition. From this list I will buy - assuming the BRDs are done properly - Easter Parade, Mrs Miniver, Grand Hotel and East of Eden. Easter Parade is the only one I have on DVD.

#86 of 124 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 11 2012 - 02:00 AM

On their genre titles , they have released the Exorcist so many times too, Why not do a Blu Ray of Exorcist III - then I can unload my lousy snapcase version. Id like to see Wait Until Dark,Cats Eye,Dreamcatcher & Eight Legged Freaks as well

#87 of 124 ONLINE   Tommy R

Tommy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 08:01 AM

Yeah, I'm really hoping Warner will do a blu-ray upgrade for The Time Machine at some point, so I'm considering looking into some of these titles of the old films they ARE releasing and picking 2 or 3 to purchase, just to support old films on blu-ray. They will be blind buys for me, and I've honestly never heard of most of these titles (only they mainstream ones like Exorcist, Goodfellas, etc.). I just want to support the cause and hopefully will end up owning a few great films that I've never heard of out of the deal.

#88 of 124 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 02:29 AM

Given The Exorcist came out fairly recently, I have to believe it will be the existing transfer(s) as it's very solid and film-like; more likely new extras and packaging. Goodfellas, on the other hand, as others have said is crying for a new transfer and that will be a Day 1 purchase for me as it's one of my favorite movies.

#89 of 124 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 04:36 PM

I might be interested in a few of the titles on that list. What I would really love, though, is a new edition of Amadeus, with a new transfer (or "image harvest," I guess) and both cuts included, but they may be waiting for the 30th anniversary in 2014 for that.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#90 of 124 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:05 AM

actually Freidkin has confirmed the Exorcist coming early 2013 is a new 4k harvest and looks better than the old transfer "you know what she did ,Your **** daughter?"

#91 of 124 ONLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,119 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:22 AM

The Exorcist looked incredible last time, not sure why it needs another transfer (other than Friedkin wanting to stick back in that goofy Pazuzu head that got left out of the Director's Cut).

#92 of 124 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 05:21 AM

The current version of The Exorcist I believe is 2K, so this 4K transfer will no doubt yield better results as we've seen with other 2K to 4K upgrades. I have no problem upgrading this kind of title.

#93 of 124 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,195 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 14 2012 - 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck 

I might be interested in a few of the titles on that list. What I would really love, though, is a new edition of Amadeus, with a new transfer (or "image harvest," I guess) and both cuts included, but they may be waiting for the 30th anniversary in 2014 for that.

I believe Amadeus is a situation where their distribution deal with the Saul Zaentz Company muddies the water re: how/when they can release it.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#94 of 124 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 14 2012 - 06:25 AM

The lack of a theatrical cut on BD is a travesty. The Director's Cut is really significantly different, and not for the better (except for that one brief moment with Mrs. Mozart :D).
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#95 of 124 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,208 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted November 14 2012 - 06:29 AM

yesterday it was announced that WB's would be releasing Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? on bluray so I would expect a US release as well.

I do want to see more classic actual WB titles being released for the 90th Anniversary. It seems like classic MGM titles get more talk than WB's.

Klute would be an awesome release.

as for The Excorcist I would re buy it with the brand new 4K transfer and it seemed like there was specualtion of more bonus features.

Goodfellas... what can we say WB's IMO have mistreated this title. We need a brand new scan and release on a 50GB disc for crying out loud! and DTS HD Master Audio sound. We also need more of Scorsese's titles like After Hours!

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#96 of 124 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:07 AM

actually Freidkin has confirmed the Exorcist coming early 2013 is a new 4k harvest and looks better than the old transfer "you know what she did ,Your **** daughter?"

I agree that the existing BD looks very good, but I would consider buying a new one from a new scan. While they're at it, maybe they'll restore the red-and-black WB logo and the jump-cut near the end to the original version. With the morphing effect incorporated into the director's cut, it seems a little weird to still have it in the original. I know it's subtle, but it's actually more distracting to me than the jump cut, because it just looks like it doesn't belong there. The original theatrical mono track would be a nice inclusion, as well.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#97 of 124 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:32 AM

Bryan, I totally agree! Those are the Exorcist fixes I would have suggested as well. Also, make sure that the color timing is true to the original.

#98 of 124 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,991 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:41 AM

I was pretty happy with The Exorcist the first time around but I have admit that a 4K transfer, the original-original version (with the non-morph Karras shot, the original logo and the mono soundtrack) and some new extras would persuade me to rebuy it. Also, I think a few of the TV commercials or radio ads weren't ported over from the 25th anniversary edition DVD so I'd like to see them included as well. Thanks for bringing up those minor points and getting me to spend more money, Bryan. :)

#99 of 124 ONLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for bringing up those minor points and getting me to spend more money, Bryan. :)

No problem! And they are minor points; I feel a little guilty bringing up that sort of thing, when we get so much quality work from Warner. But like I said, while they're at it... :)

#100 of 124 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 03 2013 - 08:32 AM

I wonder if there'll be a Warner list for Blu-ray releases in 2014? Maybe not, as they were kicked in the pants a bit for this one, but so many classic Warner & MGM movies still needing a Blu-ray release.

Edited by Billy Batson, November 03 2013 - 02:51 PM.

• benbess likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users